What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary Cap Idea

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I know there have been a lot of these threads. I want to put up an idea that could enhance the current system. The aim of the salary cap is not to even the competition it is to stop clubs signing players beyond their means.

My idea is that instead of the total salary of the players added up, a series of salary bands are put in place. Something like:

$500,000+
$400,000 - $500,000
$300,000 - $400,000
$200,000 - $300,000
$100,000 - $200,000
Under $100,000

And teams are only permitted a certain number of players as a maximum in each band. In addition one player in each club may be exempt from classification.

So say max. 1 over $500,000 and in the $400,000 - $500,000 band

The numbers would have to be worked on but it does provide clubs with more wiggle room without letting clubs go nuts and sign too many big contracts. Also, it could mean that players on 2nd tier contracts are counted in the lower bands that would have more spots available. This may stop the 'minor' salary cap breaches that occur every year.

TheDalek079

Bench
If I could add anything to the salary cap it would be concessions for developing players. If a player debuts at that club, they get a certain amount (maybe 20k or 10% of the salary) of the salary exempt from the cap. I'd have a greater exemption for players developed longer than that. Don't think local junior concession is a good thing due to the disparity of junior catchment area sizes so maybe base that one on players coming through a club's Harold Matts/SG Ball

franklin2323

Immortal
See what happens if mid contract someone activates rep bonuses or something??

2 issues with the cap. You should be able to replace long term injured with another player on 2nd tier base with match payments.

Also needs some reward for developing players even a 17yo has still had investment by the club

POPEYE

Coach
Slater, Smith, Inglis etc should have had a 20% discount off what they were being paid on Melbourne's salary cap, the same as every other player introduced to first grade like Moylan for Penrith, and so on and so on. If you want clubs to get off their arse and find instead of steal give them a f**king incentive to keep what they create. 10 years I've been saying this and I still haven't heard an argument against it worth a pint of cold piss

Loudstrat

Coach
If Melboring created them, you may as well say that Guinness is made in Australia. Melbourne didnt actually get them until they made their first grade debut. You cant say a feeder arrangement with a club 2 states away is "junior development". There's your argument.

What you are proposing is akin for Souths getting salary cap discounts for George Burgess ffs!

Junior development is about developing players in your junior network in your own district, not signing a dodgey deal to park fringe first graders with a far flung club to make their junior development look like yours.

POPEYE

Coach
I sympathise with you ol' mate in your infinite time of need but if it was anyone else . . . . . I'm sick and tired of preaching common sense ad nauseum with the salary crap suffice it to just reiterate in modern day League no junior is owned by any club but all clubs have a mandate to develop them wherever they're found

Instead of supporters of underachieving clubs crying foul due to jealousy they should petition their management to find a decent coach in the same manner the top clubs have. Good players are made great by coaches, and I don't give a shit how they hang on to what they create . . . have a nice day

That would suck now wouldn't it? Maybe La Liga is more up your alley if you like one or two teams wailing on the rest of the competition.

Sometimes I wonder if not having a salary cap it would take away half the hassle in NRL.

Figuring out the salary cap seems harder than getting a rocket to the moon.

It would also eradicate some of the innuendo that floats around.

It might also make clubs have to have responsible, credible business plans to operate.

But at the moment...I think they need a salary cap in some form to stop the clubs over spending and hoarding the talent.

It needs to be overhauled with concessions and injury lists and transfer periods and what not.

And if you think about it, if the draft was a restraint of trade, really, how is the salary cap not one either?

As for La Liga...what is that?

simostorm

Bench
If Melboring created them, you may as well say that Guinness is made in Australia. Melbourne didnt actually get them until they made their first grade debut. You cant say a feeder arrangement with a club 2 states away is "junior development". There's your argument.

What you are proposing is akin for Souths getting salary cap discounts for George Burgess ffs!

Junior development is about developing players in your junior network in your own district, not signing a dodgey deal to park fringe first graders with a far flung club to make their junior development look like yours.

North Devils were Storms feeder club, players would fly to Melbourne and back every week to train with the first grade squad. Some players left the Storm over the last decade saying they left because they couldn't stand the travel week in and week out from QLD to Melbourne, some young guys often would say they sleep on the floor in other players homes while in Melbourne while they were down training as they weren't on a big contract yet and couldn't afford their own place.
They certainly were not developed 2 states away.

Get your facts right before you go spreading your cancerous rubbish that you carry on with around here.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Sometimes I wonder if not having a salary cap it would take away half the hassle in NRL.

of course it would. but would leave us with a 4 team competition after every other club has gone broke spending 10 million a year on players

i think juniors should definitely have a discount, players who have been there over 5 years should have a discount, and f**k it, i dont even have a problem if a player debuts in the nrl gets a small discount for the first year - so if you use the burgesses as examples they may get a 5% discount for the first year but after that its back to normal.

we preach this "loyalty" card but the reality is if you have a 10 year player at your club who still has something to offer and wants x amount, but a young player who is going to become the next leader for your club you'll keep the young player and chuck the older guy out. if you could get a significant difference you may keep both. i'd love to see loyalty remain in the game. as much as i'd love smith at the broncos i'd like to see him stay at the storm his whole career, and i think we should be trying to make it possible for long serving players to do that easier than we do.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Not a lot of support for my idea. Oh well I think it has merit because it would loosen the restriction on a set cap but still protect clubs from themselves.

Not a lot of support for my idea. Oh well I think it has merit because it would loosen the restriction on a set cap but still protect clubs from themselves.

Personally, I think it's good that people are thinking about it and discussing it.

My own thoughts would see the salary cap completely over hauled.

* I'd have a one per team marquee.
* I'd have players having played 200 games for a club 50% off the cap, anyone over 250 club games for the one club exempt from the cap, along with any other loyalty clauses.
* Allowances for junior development.
* Allowances for expansion regions - Melbourne, Gold Coast and the possible new Perth club.

I'd also have an end of season and mid-season transfer window/period.

I'd also be auditing the NRL clubs hard.
I'd be punishing cap cheats very hard - $10 million fine, lock out of transfer window periods.

I'd overhaul the player manager accreditation system.
In fact, the NRL, managers and player association should be [if they are not] promoting the players well being with education, health insurances, workers comp, etc.

I'd also have the NRL annually pay the marquee player per club and two secondary top tier players that are the face of their club AND the league - promotions, advertising, charity, game day, etc. I'd even tie this in to a media clause that these players deal with the media before and after matches, etc.

Of course this would be in conjunction with the NRL:
* Centralising digital content.
* Centralising sponsorship, merchandise and all other revenue streams, allowing the NRL to manage the finances and dividing to the participating clubs - allowing clubs to focus on player welfare, training, recruitment, retention and development.
* Centralising all TV and digital streams.
* Creating an online channel for NRL with options for fans/viewers for online content, game day play, post match, etc.
* Suggesting to the player association that a draft 'could' be good for the game, and in the long run players, and 'could' be reviewed pending NRL and player agreement.
* The creation of and running of a NRL ticketing outlet for ALL NRL fixtures, as well as creating a joint venture with 'preferred' providers - airline, hotels, restaurants, etc - so that the fans can log on, buy tix and use NRL preferred partners.

Just some ideas.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
All these ideas could fit into my idea as well. The numbers of players allowed in each band would determine some of this and special dispensations for juniors etc could be built in.

Def agree with rewarding teams for growing / nurturing / developing juniors.

Tie it in with regional partnerships as well, would be something to look at.

And proper regional compensation for junior drain too.

firechild

First Grade
Def agree with rewarding teams for growing / nurturing / developing juniors.

Good idea in theory but in reality you're rewarding clubs like Brisbane, Penrith, Illawarra and Parra for simply being in the right place while punishing clubs like Cronulla and the Roosters for having such a small area to draw from.

Latest posts