What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary Cap promotes mediocrity

This year certainly highlights the damage that the salary cap is doing to our game through promoting mediocrity. This is no better evidenced by the supposed top two teams who were on display on Friday night.

Lets face it the era of great teams is now gone. Yep the NRL got themselves a more even competition but at the expense of quality. Its a shame we will never again see the great sides like the Canberras and Broncos of the 90's, the Eels of the early 80's or the Roosters of the mid 70's.

But hey the comp is even so who cares right!

seaeagle sam

This year certainly highlights the damage that the salary cap is doing to our game through promoting mediocrity. This is no better evidenced by the supposed top two teams who were on display on Friday night.

Lets face it the era of great teams is now gone. Yep the NRL got themselves a more even competition but at the expense of quality. Its a shame we will never again see the great sides like the Canberras and Broncos of the 90's, the Eels of the early 80's or the Roosters of the mid 70's.

But hey the comp is even so who cares right!

As opposed to the other two teams on Friday night?

But I suppose I have to agree with you. Let's scrap the cap and let the Broncos and Melbourne take it in turns winning for the next 25-years. It'd be cool.

Noa

First Grade
Agree with this, squads probably need to be another 6-8 players bigger so we dont have to rely on young players as much. Its not your top level or top young players that are the problem, theyre better then ever, its we dont have the space for those solid, mid-level veterans in the cap.

I should clarify I support a cap just not at its current level

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Toyota cup needs to have the age lifted to U23's or allow a token number of over 20's allowed in the team.
There needs to be a proper reserve grade comp, at the moment neither state really has it tbh.

docbrown

Coach
Because winning clubs were spending more than they could afford on retaining their champion players.

And losing clubs were spending more than they could afford on trying to steal those champion players.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
The salary cap isn't the problem, the way it's used by clubs is. No one is forcing them to over-pay for marginal talent, especially retaining their own marginal talent.

That's not to say that it's perfect, because it's not and some sort of concession system is needed. But saying it doesn't work isn't looking at the cause of the problem

lockyrulz

Juniors
The salary cap should discourage cluns from being able to buy players from other clubs. The problem as it works now is that it punishes teams for developing players. There should be WAY more discounts for players developed by the club.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
As opposed to the other two teams on Friday night?

But I suppose I have to agree with you. Let's scrap the cap and let the Broncos and Melbourne take it in turns winning for the next 25-years. It'd be cool.

The thread starter is of the deluded opinion that it would help the roosters. Maybe help them finish third or fourth every year. Ad you rightly point out Melbourne and Brisbane would dominate.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The salary cap should discourage cluns from being able to buy players from other clubs. The problem as it works now is that it punishes teams for developing players. There should be WAY more discounts for players developed by the club.

Agreed but I support a club that produces talent. So that sort of system would be an advantage.

lockyrulz

Juniors
If clubs cant produce talent, then they woudl either need to adapt by implementing changes to their club, or ping off.

Not like you need a junior base, look at Melbourne. There would need to be restrictions in place as to how many players you get on your books at junior level etc so that rich clubs don't just go and buy every junior, but the system def needs changing.

Noa

First Grade
The thread starter is of the deluded opinion that it would help the roosters. Maybe help them finish third or fourth every year. Ad you rightly point out Melbourne and Brisbane would dominate.

No they wouldnt, thats the simpletons view. Young players these days want to play and become stars. They wont hang around clubs waiting years for an opportunity like they used too. And having maximum squad sizes has basically eliminated that from being possible anyway.

seaeagle sam

No they wouldnt, thats the simpletons view. Young players these days want to play and become stars. They wont hang around clubs waiting years for an opportunity like they used too. And having maximum squad sizes has basically eliminated that from being possible anyway.

You are right, they would be bought by Melbourne, disposed of when the next young superstar comes along and so on.

Melbourne, getting a leg up year in year out would be able to buy whoever they wanted, when they wanted to suit.

RHCP

Bench
If you think the salary cap is promoting mediocrity now, just imagine the mediocrity Cronulla would be dishing up without it.

nohope

Juniors
LOL please
Go watch the old games again in full. Watch how many errors there are that would get called up these days, things like planting the ball properly at the play the ball, no ball security. These days players drop the ball backwards in a tackle and it gets called up as an error which turns into a scrum.

I would put any top 8 team now days against the very top teams in those days and the modern game would slaughter them.

LOL please
Go watch the old games again in full. Watch how many errors there are that would get called up these days, things like planting the ball properly at the play the ball, no ball security. These days players drop the ball backwards in a tackle and it gets called up as an error which turns into a scrum.

I would put any top 8 team now days against the very top teams in those days and the modern game would slaughter them.

Absolute bollocks. The Broncos of the 90's would beat this storm and Manly teams by 50.

Those saying that I only want this because it would help the Roosters....please!

It is a fact. Name the last time in the NRL there were one or tow really great teams? Perhaps in 04 when we had the Dogs and Chooks?

Latest posts