What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

salary cap question

Ilya

Juniors
I remember the strange situation that prop Todd Payten was in, when having been forced out of two clubs mid contract due to salary cap constraints, he played at the tigers and was for that one season being payed by three clubs, raiders, roosters, and tigers (for whom he was playing).

My question is, what's to stop clubs from saying i'll give you ten thousand a season now, and then you retire and i'll give you a million?

simostorm

Bench
Questions about salary cap cheating?????
Come on mate!!!
Admin's can you please move this to its rightful spot,
the Roosters forum.:lol:

Panthers_God

Juniors
im not sure about the rules in RL but this happened in the NBA a couple of years back to a player called Joe Smith and he and his club (Timerwolves) got fined a massive amount.

Nugby

Juniors
yeah, I imagine it would be considered pretty serious, though realistically, all you have to do is look at how some players are employed after their playing days to see that it kind of goes on. After Kennedy retires, Delmege has promised him a job for life, Kennedy said in the telegraph at the time.

Nuffy

Bench
The NRL does assign notional values to players so this situation is limited.

If Orford signed with Manly for 10k a season, the NRL would assign a value of 350k plus under the cap.

As for Kennedy having a job for life with Delmege, I wouldn't count on it BK, sounds nice in theory and probably helped clinch the deal, but I'd suggest BK's only flavour of the month WHILST HES PLAYING FOR MANLY.

Panthers_God

Juniors
i guess you could do it to some degree. say for instance you sign Jim for 40G for one season then agree to offer him a contract the next season for 250G. But the problem is if Jim is that good of a player that you desperatelly want him other clubs will be giving him offers and he may leave.

I believe that when NRL players are signed on multi year contracts they get the same amount of money or slightly inflated (1-5%) amount of money each year, so they would have to be off contract to be able to do the above.