What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary cap question.

IFR33K

Coach
I'm of the belief, the nrl hands out grants to each and every club, equivalent to the anount of the salary cap. The only condition i believe is that the nrl requests the clubs to spend the entire amount on the cap.

If that's the case, then how can a club make a midseason signing????

Or, in the roosters case, how can Jennings, LOD and SBW be signed in the offseason, only weeks before kick off??? Shouldn't the money from grants been allocated months before the season commences??? Surely the roosters weren't planning to go into season 2013 roughly 1.4 million under the cap.

Am I missing something here?

The grant to the clubs is not = the salary cap.

Clubs are obliged to spend a certain proportion of the cap, not 100% of the cap.

They shifted quite a few salaries fwd into the 2012 season, Panthers are eating a chunk of Jennings' salary.

Last edited:

oldmancraigy

Coach
The grant is now higher than the salary cap. It is the revenue from the TV deal going to those who earn it (the clubs).

But as pointed out, it is not the cap itself...

IFR33K

Coach
Ok thx guys. I was under the impression that teams had to use the grants for salaries. My bad.

Delboy

First Grade
The question should be , how do the Rorters sign $BW for less than we offered Falou and it gets approved. Helps when we the auditor is an ex player, and your board has a strong influence on the NRL

Still ticks me off that this barely raises its head in the NRL,. Shoebox should be removed immediately

TheFrog

Coach
The Roosters, among others, back-end contracts. They are not alone in this regard, but I suspect they do with the most "leverage". Good seasons are followed by poor seasons.

This explains why they have gone up and down like a yo yo on the premiership table in the past 10 seasons.

Check this out:

2004: Grand Final
2005: 9th of 15
2006: 14th of 15
2007: 10th of 16
2008: 4th of 16
2009: Wooden Spoon
2010: Grand Final
2011: 11th of 16
2012: 13th of 16
2013: Premiers

How this back-ending is legal, is beyond me.

murraymob

Coach
The grant to the clubs is not = the salary cap.

Clubs are obliged to spend a certain proportion of the cap, not 100% of the cap.

They shifted quite a few salaries fwd into the 2012 season, Panthers are eating a chunk of Jennings' salary.

penrith are paying 200k of jennings money for this season only next year the roosters pay the lot

IFR33K

Coach
The question should be , how do the Rorters sign $BW for less than we offered Falou and it gets approved. Helps when we the auditor is an ex player, and your board has a strong influence on the NRL

Still ticks me off that this barely raises its head in the NRL,. Shoebox should be removed immediately

I can't for the life of me work out how roosters sign SBW, LOD and Jennings in one off season. And we couldn't get izzy over the line.

Oh well, good luck to them, they pretty much bought a premiership.

TheRam

Coach
I suppose it's like how none of you guys can work out that banksters run the whole world either.

But hey, conspiracies can only happen in sport. Oh that's right, that's all you guys care to know about.

Go figure why the richest coal, gas, thorium and oil country in the world, is closing down most of its power plants and refineries while energy prices are skyrocketing?

Hmmm...?

strider

Post Whore
not to be a rooster lover or anything, but ...

we were trying to get folau for something around 200K on the cap (I'm sure there would have been alot more as 3rd party) .... do you believe that's what they got sbw for?

there was an increase in the cap sorted out at pretty much the time izzy f'ed us over ... it would have helped make some room

I am not saying the roosters (and other well connected clubs) don't get a benefit from all their connections ... i would bet roosters players get stuff on the side that cannot be directly inked to any club connection ...... eg gyngle apparently paid for sbw's family to fly over - is gyngle buddies with any roosters powerbrokers? probably

murraymob

Coach
not to be a rooster lover or anything, but ...

we were trying to get folau for something around 200K on the cap (I'm sure there would have been alot more as 3rd party) .... do you believe that's what they got sbw for?

there was an increase in the cap sorted out at pretty much the time izzy f'ed us over ... it would have helped make some room

I am not saying the roosters (and other well connected clubs) don't get a benefit from all their connections ... i would bet roosters players get stuff on the side that cannot be directly inked to any club connection ...... eg gyngle apparently paid for sbw's family to fly over - is gyngle buddies with any roosters powerbrokers? probably

SBW had a nine contract you can pay that and its not under the cap

Sphagnum

Coach
Seems like a question for Pou. He knows exactly how much every player at every club is being paid. Salary cap expert/independent auditor. Just ask him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Seems like a question for Pou. He knows exactly how much every player at every club is being paid. Salary cap expert/independent auditor. Just ask him.

Thanks mate. However while I certainly know more about the salary cap than you and most of the merkins around here, the fact is I don't know everything.

We have to content ourselves with educated guesses (or in your case, guesses) about what players are being paid. Sorry to disappoint.

Tooooks

Bench
I struggle to see how the Roosters are under the cap, much like what I thought about Melbourne in 2006.

Fullback - Ex origin, Ex Aus
Centres - Both internationals
Halves - Both origin (granted Maloney only made it this year)

Then of course you've got SBW, JWH...

Then again, I've got no real insight as to how the cap works. As mentioned, they obviously backend deals, hence their yoyo seasons, but maybe that's the way to go. At least they're contenders every 2-3 years. I'd happily buy a premiership too.

What helped them a lot was releasing Perrett and another bloke who I can't remember during the 2012 season, which helped them bring forward future salary cap commitments. I seem to remember that they were trying to count some of Maloney's contract towards their 2012 cap, but I can't remember whether they were successful in this endeavour.

I don't actually see that their squad is obviously stronger on paper than several other teams. There are plenty of solid journeymen in the 25 players they've put on the field this year.

TheFrog

Coach
The salary cap was supposed to make for an even competition when it was introduced. It was never an even competition but it was a damn sight more even than it is now. The difference this year between the top 4 and the rest was quite stark.

What I think should be done is in addition to the salary cap as it now stands, every player in every 25 man squad should be rated 1 to 20, and a cap placed on this as well. Certain clubs are getting elite players at below their real value using various advantages not available to other clubs. There is no discernable advantage to having a huge (and expensive) junior system, as your juniors can be poached by the Roosters et al (if there were the Eels and Panthers would be top 8 every year), yet there are advantages to having rich backers or being a one-team city.

Last edited:
What I think should be done is in addition to the salary cap as it now stands, every player in every 25 man squad should be rated 1 to 20, and a cap placed on this as well. Certain clubs are getting elite players at below their real value using various advantages not available to other clubs.

rated by who? and how can you guarantee the rating will be accurate and players won't either downrate themselves to stay at a club or uprate themselves to get more $$$

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I think should happen is getting a discount for each home grown talent.

There really is no benefit in having a very good junior club when teams like Manly and Chooks just pick the eyes out of them.

I think that something like a 10% discount for each home grown would give you salary cap concessions for providing your own junior base and you'd get something like 1 in 10 players for free in reward for scouting, training and coaching your own juniors.

What helped them a lot was releasing Perrett and another bloke who I can't remember during the 2012 season, which helped them bring forward future salary cap commitments. I seem to remember that they were trying to count some of Maloney's contract towards their 2012 cap, but I can't remember whether they were successful in this endeavour.

I think you will find that the Roosters, when they signed Maloney in 2011 (as the Warriors allowed him to negotiate then for 2013) they hoped that the Warrriors would release him early so that he could play for the Roosters in 2012. Thus they kept salary under the cap in case that occurred. I mean they didn't sign anyone to replace Carney after they punted him at the end of 2011.

Perrett and Anthony Mitchell were the only players released mid-season in 2012 (that5 I can recall). From the 2012 squad though they released or did not re-sign:

Braith Anasta;
Justin Carney;
Anthony Cherrington;
BJ Leilua;
Mose Masoe;
Tom Symonds (just prior to Round 1, 2013);
Brad Takairangi; and
Lama Tasi.