What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary Cap Rort

Is the punishment fair?

• It's too severe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

• No - relegate them

• Total voters

GBT

Juniors
Three SL clubs, St Helens, Hull and Halifax have each been deducted two competition points for breaching the salary cap.

All three clubs have 14 days in which to appeal. If the RFL's decision is upheld, Halifax, having only two points from a win at London would be in the worst position.

Is the punishment severe enough?

GBT

Juniors
Saints are claiming win bonuses took them over the cap, Hull's is supposedly a technical breach.

Hull FC Statement:

The Rugby Football League’s decision to deduct a two point penalty from Hull FC for an alleged breach of the 2002 salary cap regulations will be appealed by the Club.

Chief Executive, David Plummer said: “The Club have submitted their salary cap return in accordance with the RFL’s published rules. It is the interpretation of those rules that has given rise to this problem. My entire Board of Directors believe that an independent appeals tribunal will enable the Club to present its case in full and to prove that there has been no breach”.

He continued: “Hull FC fully supports the principle of the salary cap but I believe our appeal will exonerate the Club and show that we have acted in accordance with the parameters published by the governing body”.

“I am disappointed, however, that the points deduction has been announced and takes effect before our appeal has been heard. In my opinion this will cause our supporters, players and everyone connected with the Club unnecessary concern during the weeks that will pass before the appeals tribunal convenes”.

There are no figures available at the moment, but it appears that we're talking about relatively minor offenses.

GBT

Juniors
On Radio 5 last night, a St Helens spokesman stated their breach was due to an error in the way that the accounts were worked out. If they had worked them out differently then they would have been okay.

Obviously, the Saints need a new masseur/masseus, or a decent chef. :D

terracesider

Juniors
bronco said:
How big were the breaches? Canterbury were stripped of 34 points.

Didn't Canterbury set out to beat the system and, throughout, try and cover things up? As GBT says, Hull are saying they are only minor technical offences relating to accounting methods, in that if different methods had been used they would have been within the cap. Saints and Fax are saying much the same, but with the extra defence that the incompetent accounting was done by previous owners.