What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salford

JasonE

Bench
Yesterdays win v Warrington confirms what I have thought for a while, that Salford have the best up and coming coach in SL, a team of no big names or superstars, Karl Harrison gets the best out of his players and importantly they play as a team and a good brand of footy as well. To beat the Wire without his main playmakers is a great start.

Unexpectedly, next week v Catalan Dragons should be fascinating.

pmarrow

Juniors
It also confirms for me that Warrington are one of the most overrated sides in the game.

coldhardbitch

Juniors
Salford are a great team, and a team going somewhere. I love how they rely on young brittish talent, more than relying on heaps of crappy imports.

They have some of the future GB side there, in robinson, alker and many others.

They also are going somewhere, with a new stadium on the way, the crowd will come to watch a good football team.

In my opinion though, they should change there name to the Manchester Reds when they move into the new stadium, which could broaden their supporter base.

pmarrow

Juniors
coldhardbitch said:
Salford are a great team, and a team going somewhere. I love how they rely on young brittish talent, more than relying on heaps of crappy imports.

They have some of the future GB side there, in robinson, alker and many others.

They also are going somewhere, with a new stadium on the way, the crowd will come to watch a good football team.

In my opinion though, they should change there name to the Manchester Reds when they move into the new stadium, which could broaden their supporter base.

They have some good talent in there team, Coley and Robinson are the players that stand out for me. Still think they'll be near the bottom of the ladder though, they have good forwards and a good young half back but the rest of there back line is pretty rubbish. If Hodgson and Stewart ever touch the GB side then we'll be a complete laughing stock.

Alker is a good player but I think GB is beyond him and he must be getting on a bit now anyway, he's certainly not a youth player.

Good to see Karl Harrison doing well, he'll always be welcome in Hull.

By the way that Manchester Reds thing will never happen in a million years, the people of Salford won't let it happen. I don't think its a certaintity that the new stadium is getting built yet.

Gaz_E

Juniors
pmarrow said:
It also confirms for me that Warrington are one of the most overrated sides in the game.

Bit rich coming from a Hull fan i must say. Warrington played very poorly, some much so i don't believe they'll play any worse that that for the rest of the season. We coughed up too much possession and made some very poor decisions with ball in hand. Salford have got some decent players, but if you get on top of their pack they are ineffectual.

Warrington have some work to do with the halves combination as it remains to be seen what Michael Sullivan will bring to the team, both our front line props (Rauhihi and Leikvoll) sustained injuries early on and limited our options from the bench. Given our start to last season i have no worries at present.

pmarrow

Juniors
Gaz_E said:
Bit rich coming from a Hull fan i must say.
We may be in the same position as Warrington aka on the verge of breaking on the so called Big four. We won the CC last year have consistantley been more of a challenge to the top clubs then Wire have been. You want to up the stakes though, I have no problem putting my money were my mouth is on who will finish higher between Hull and Wire.

Gaz_E said:
Warrington played very poorly, some much so i don't believe they'll play any worse that that for the rest of the season. We coughed up too much possession and made some very poor decisions with ball in hand. Salford have got some decent players, but if you get on top of their pack they are ineffectual.

Its a coincedence isn't it that your team plays poorly when they lose. From what I've heard on numerous reports Cullen was out thought in the tactics department.

Gaz_E said:
Warrington have some work to do with the halves combination as it remains to be seen what Michael Sullivan will bring to the team, both our front line props (Rauhihi and Leikvoll) sustained injuries early on and limited our options from the bench. Given our start to last season i have no worries at present.

You need to stop thinking Briers is a good player and start looking for a different half back. Apart from his kicking he is very poor, he'll do the odd thing here and there but doesn't have it in him to change a game.

Its Cullens own fault for the props injuries affecting your game, I've always said it that if you have less then two forwards on the bench then your in for trouble. Some weeks it works and others it doesn't. From 1 - 5 your team looks very very good, but I generally feel the service they get from your halfs will be poor throughout the season.

Just my opinion though, cue for Wire to piss all over Hull a week on saturday now.

Gaz_E

Juniors
pmarrow said:
We may be in the same position as Warrington aka on the verge of breaking on the so called Big four. We won the CC last year have consistantley been more of a challenge to the top clubs then Wire have been. You want to up the stakes though, I have no problem putting my money were my mouth is on who will finish higher between Hull and Wire.

We're both in a similar position in terms of development, Hull probably had a head start after the Gateshead debacle.

pmarrow said:
Its a coincedence isn't it that your team plays poorly when they lose. From what I've heard on numerous reports Cullen was out thought in the tactics department.

We played poorly, even if we'd have got a win out of that performance i'd have said so. Salford wanted it more, we played badly.

pmarrow said:
You need to stop thinking Briers is a good player and start looking for a different half back. Apart from his kicking he is very poor, he'll do the odd thing here and there but doesn't have it in him to change a game.

I'll happily have us take Richard Horne off your hands. Lee Briers is a world beater on his day and one of the best halves around, he has a problem with consistency. Pretty much all our fans will say that, Bridge suffers poor decision making and Sullivan looks more a 9 than 7 at the minute

pmarrow said:
Its Cullens own fault for the props injuries affecting your game, I've always said it that if you have less then two forwards on the bench then your in for trouble. Some weeks it works and others it doesn't. From 1 - 5 your team looks very very good, but I generally feel the service they get from your halfs will be poor throughout the season.

Just my opinion though, cue for Wire to piss all over Hull a week on saturday now.

We had two forwards on the bench in Lima and Paul Wood, Wood could probably go a full game, Lima can't.

As for the game, should be a fun one at the HJ

brendothejet

First Grade
pmarrow said:
By the way that Manchester Reds thing will never happen in a million years, the people of Salford won't let it happen. I don't think its a certaintity that the new stadium is getting built yet.

That sucks. having been to manchester i took a train down to Salford. Not much of a town really, not that Manchester is fantastic.

i think if they get this new stadium they hould try and incorporate the greater manchester area more.

I was in manchester for the week before the test match against Australia a couple of years ago. the place was fired up on rugby league. Plenty of coverage in the paper, every pub was filled with blokes in footy jerseys and the night of the game there was about a billion buses filled with great britain jerseys.

Manchester has the potential to be a real rugby league town. The grand final draws a huge crowd to the city and the man on the stadium tour was constantly talking about rugby league in old trafford (he even recognised my st george jersey)

i don't want salford to lose their identity, but, be proud that your team represents a large city. Share the team with everyone and watch the good things go. The city supports two teams in the biggest sporting comp in the world. Its evident that people in manchester are happy to throw their cash at football sides.

Would you really complain if in 5 years The Manchester City Reds won the challenge cup, super league and world club challenge?

Didn't think so.

bartman

Immortal
The Salford Warrington result surprised me, as I wasn't really rating Salford, and on paper was beginning to think I had underestimated Warrington this season.

Only time will tell if either side's form changes, for the better or the worse during the season. All eyes will be on Salford Catalans this week, to see if Salford can string two in a row, and to see if Catalans can travel.

pmarrow

Juniors
Gaz_E said:
We're both in a similar position in terms of development, Hull probably had a head start after the Gateshead debacle.

Far from it, IIRC the first season after the Gateshead merger you actually finished higher then us. Saying that, tell me how many players that came from Gateshead are actually in this years and last years squads.

Gaz_E said:
We played poorly, even if we'd have got a win out of that performance i'd have said so. Salford wanted it more, we played badly.

Fair enough, if I am honest though I did think it would be an easy two points for you guys.

Gaz_E said:
I'll happily have us take Richard Horne off your hands. Lee Briers is a world beater on his day and one of the best halves around, he has a problem with consistency. Pretty much all our fans will say that, Bridge suffers poor decision making and Sullivan looks more a 9 than 7 at the minute

Horney's going nowhere for a long time yet, even so hes not the ultimate player himself. He has the flair, pace and is the ultimate try scorer, a creator is something which he is not though. Since his move to scrum half though, he has very rarely got onto the try sheet. Hopefully though it will be different this season as Kear has being working very hard with Horne during the off season.

Gaz_E said:
We had two forwards on the bench in Lima and Paul Wood, Wood could probably go a full game, Lima can't.

As for the game, should be a fun one at the HJ

For this very reason its always handy to have a player on the bench who can revert from front row to back row. Forwards win games and keeping them fresh throughout is very very valueble to the team and gameplans.

As for the game I'm looking forward to it, especially if its like our last visit.

pmarrow

Juniors
brendothejet said:
That sucks. having been to manchester i took a train down to Salford. Not much of a town really, not that Manchester is fantastic.

i think if they get this new stadium they hould try and incorporate the greater manchester area more.

I was in manchester for the week before the test match against Australia a couple of years ago. the place was fired up on rugby league. Plenty of coverage in the paper, every pub was filled with blokes in footy jerseys and the night of the game there was about a billion buses filled with great britain jerseys.

Manchester has the potential to be a real rugby league town. The grand final draws a huge crowd to the city and the man on the stadium tour was constantly talking about rugby league in old trafford (he even recognised my st george jersey)

i don't want salford to lose their identity, but, be proud that your team represents a large city. Share the team with everyone and watch the good things go. The city supports two teams in the biggest sporting comp in the world. Its evident that people in manchester are happy to throw their cash at football sides.

It would make sense but when you have two big football teams in the town it would be hard for Rugby league to push its way in. Salford would lose its full identity if they were to move to manchester and I'd say a lot of there die hard fans too. It may be different in Australia or in any other country but in the UK fans are very passionate about there team and even the slightest name change could upset many fans.

brendothejet said:
Would you really complain if in 5 years The Manchester City Reds won the challenge cup, super league and world club challenge?

Didn't think so.

I would personally, rather see those above trophies been handed to the Hull FC captain.

MrCharisma

Bench
I think for myself, I underestimated Salford and it's ability to perform while Warrington I overestimated them.

I think i'll be definately looking at Salford with different eyes this season. As someone said before, they have alot of potential GB players. I guess they could be the West Tigers of the ESL some day

Latest posts