What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Sam Burgess court cases, breach notices

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Burgess charged with intimidation hours after announcing retirement

Sam Burgess has been charged with intimidation on the day he announced his retirement from the NRL.

Burgess was involved in an alleged altercation with his father-in-law Mitchell Hooke on October 19 when the former South Sydney skipper went to Hooke’s home to visit his children. Burgess was asked to leave the property after tensions escalated and police were called.
Police took out a temporary apprehended violence order against the English international, who is going through a messy separation with estranged wife Phoebe, the mother of his two children. On Wednesday, Burgess was served a court attendance notice for the criminal offence of intimidation (domestic violence related).

“About 4pm on Saturday 19 October 2019, police were called to an address at Glenquarry, east of Bowral, in relation to a domestic dispute,” the police said in a statement.

“Police from The Hume Police District attended and an Apprehended Domestic Violence Order was applied for on behalf of a 63-year-old man.

“Following further inquiries, on Wednesday 30 October 2019, a 30-year-old man was charged with the offence of Intimidation (DV related).

“It’s alleged the man intimidated the older man during the incident.

“The 30-year-old is expected to appear at Moss Vale Local Court on Wednesday 18 December 2019.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bu...er-announcing-retirement-20191030-p535y3.html

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Retiring NRL star Sam Burgess charged with intimidation following alleged domestic violence incident
By Freya Noble
AAP
11:02pm Oct 30, 2019

Retiring NRL star Sam Burgess has been charged following an alleged domestic dispute earlier this month.

NSW Police said tonight that on October 19 they were called to a home in Glenquarry, east of Bowral, in relation to a domestic dispute between two men.

Police from the Hume Police District attended and an apprehended domestic violence order was applied for on behalf of a 63-year-old man.

The former South Sydney Rabbitohs star has been charged with intimidation.

He is expected to appear at Moss Vale Local court on December 18.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/s...incident/2a0a9c4f-12fd-4882-ac32-fb57bc69e431

I agree with perthy. In Australia, you just don't stop dads from seeing their kids. Captain Hooke has police friends down there and this is all bulls hit. Lock up the Hookes instead.

We don't know the full story, so we should not rush to judge either way.

I suspect though that what happened, Hooke may have asked Sam to leave (as whilst they are Sam's kids, it is Hooke's house) and Sam refused. In that situation, only the police would be able to remove someone who refuses to leave. If Hooke had attempted to "man handle" Sam to get him off his property, he would be guilty of common assault as soon as he laid a finger on Sam.

JJ

Immortal
The headline is kinda weird - can he not be intimidating?

Not a good look overall, hopefully the legal systems and the families can sort this out, children have to be #1 here

Peter Quinn

Juniors
We don't know the full story, so we should not rush to judge either way.

I suspect though that what happened, Hooke may have asked Sam to leave (as whilst they are Sam's kids, it is Hooke's house) and Sam refused. In that situation, only the police would be able to remove someone who refuses to leave. If Hooke had attempted to "man handle" Sam to get him off his property, he would be guilty of common assault as soon as he laid a finger on Sam.
I'd be pissed off driving for three hours to see my kids and get told by someone who has no rights over the children you can't see your kids. I would have more that abused the coward I'll tell you that for free. The whole thing is designed to keep Sam away from his kids. Surely you can see that.

Timbo

Staff member
I'd be pissed off driving for three hours to see my kids and get told by someone who has no rights over the children you can't see your kids. I would have more that abused the coward I'll tell you that for free. The whole thing is designed to keep Sam away from his kids. Surely you can see that.

No, I can’t because just like everyone else in this thread including you, we don’t know the full story.

And as a rule, courts typically don’t withdraw charges on the grounds of ‘I follow Souffs and Sam won us a grand final a few years ago’ so it sounds like there may be more to this.

SBD82

Coach
So you’ve assumed what happened, and now you’re ready to “more than abuse the coward”.

Maybe you should kick the shit out of the old man to really assert your authority. Do it in front of the kids. That’ll help.

Peter Quinn

Juniors
No, I can’t because just like everyone else in this thread including you, we don’t know the full story.

And as a rule, courts typically don’t withdraw charges on the grounds of ‘I follow Souffs and Sam won us a grand final a few years ago’ so it sounds like there may be more to this.
Let's wait and see. I'm tipping Hooke is a coward, mongrel and liar. Let's see.