What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess' Future

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Always suspicious of telegraph articles like these. Anyway I thought he had declares his never ending love for the sydney lifestyle and surely this flys in the face of being close to his mother and brothers as he has said several times in the past

tmfsd

Juniors
^^ agree. Also, wouldn't he be getting red cards all over the place? Bit of a gamble to play him in a big game when there is a decent chance he could leave ur team a man down after 20 mins

Big Sam

First Grade
Here's why I don't think it will happen, and the Tele's up to its usual bullshit:

- The pommy RU season will begin a month before the NRL finishes and two months before in the event of us going deep into the finals.
- This would mean Sam would only really have 2/3s of a season to try to get into the pom team for the RUWC.
- It would also mean he would have to play 16 months straight of either Rugbys (from Feb 2014 to Jun 2015) before he has any break - tough for any player, let alone a forward.

All that is leaving aside the biggest impasse which is the fact that he's contracted to us until October 2016 - after both the RUWC and Olympics.

DC_fan

Coach
Will the other Burgess boys follow him back to the UK and what will mummy Burgess do?

It could be that his manager wants him to get an improved contract. At the same time the Rabbitohs can't break the salary cap.
Always remember. You can only live in one house. You can only sleep in one bed.You can only drive one car.

natheel

Coach
If fifita is the incentive here than I'd pack Sam's bags for him. Yes he is great but has hands like feet and his 2 younger brothers are going to be better.

Galeforce

Bench
If fifita is the incentive here than I'd pack Sam's bags for him. Yes he is great but has hands like feet and his 2 younger brothers are going to be better.

I think we can agree to disagree on Fifita vs Sam.
You need to keep you focus on Eels players retention vs Souths.

As for the Souths fans who do state that Sam would not leave because he loves Souths and Sydney. Perhaps , however if $2m a year offer is halfway true , then Sam is gone. He can always come back to Sydney to live and with a healthier bank account to boot . In addition for a proud Englishman , there would be an attraction to play for England in Union , which has a much higher international profile than playing League .

If this offer is real and Sam request a release , then I believe Souths should release Sam from his current contract by way of a conditional new contract , which ties Sam to Souths should he return to Australia/NRL in the future .

As for Fifita , Souths would be in the line with most other NRL clubs and Union to sign him.

JetRider

Juniors
Hope Sam stays because he provides a great deal to our team including passion. But if he was to leave I would not begrudge him the opportunity and feel comfort in the thought that we have a great base and can deal with the loss.

HowHigh

Coach
Can't see it happening this year
Maybe if Souths win the premiership (lol) he could go but they have another decent shot at it this year and his 3 brothers are in the team, who'd give that up?

He is under contract with us until end 2016. The only way I could see this happening would be if we let him go for 12 months on the understanding that he returned to us on an extended deal. Otherwise, there's simply nothing to gain by releasing him.

hardbaby

Coach
Very hard for league forwards to make it in union. I'd be surprised if he would made the English team in time for the World Cup. I wouldn't stress too much fellas.