What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Mac on the comeback trail

Written a little over week ago for anyone that hasn't seen it.

NRL 2018: Penrith Panthers' forgotten man Sam McKendry ready to rejuvenate career
February 3 2018

Adam Pengilly

The last time Sam McKendry played an NRL game he wasn't even a father yet. He wasn't far away from becoming one, but his life hadn't turned completely upside down yet.

The next time family members come rushing onto an NRL field after a game, he will have two kids to juggle. He doesn't need to be told how long it's been since he pulled on the Panthers strip.

"I've had a couple of kids and now have a 17-month old girl and six-month-old boy," McKendry said. "They keep me busy and they've kept me occupied when I've been injured and had all that downtime.

"I've had more time to spend with them and I've had to make the most of it before the season starts. It shows you how much you have to appreciate life.

"It will be exciting to take the little ones on the field after the game and it will be a good experience for them."

The easy option for the NRL's forgotten man would be to mope about a career at the crossroads after not one, but two cruciate ligament ruptures to the same knee that have sidelined him since July 2016. Yet McKendry hasn't, and won't.

The second one, suffered in a trial game as he embarked on a comeback last year, might have broken others. But with his voice barely raised above a whisper, Penrith's longest serving player knew there would always be a way back.
"It's not good [when the second one occurs], but I knew what I was in for and I knew what I had to do to get back," McKendry said. "I had my head around it. I feel fresh and ready to play. When you haven't played for so long you just can't wait to to play and I'm fighting fit now."

After his first knee hiccup, McKendry found himself consulting Panthers captain Peter Wallace about recovery and then in turn imparting that same advice to Josh Mansour. Then he found himself in rehabilitation alongside Mansour a couple of months later.

But the New Zealand international's imminent return in Penrith's first trial against the Roosters on February 17 will provide Anthony Griffin with some added starch up front.

James Tamou will be more settled in his second season at the foot of the mountains, Reagan Campbell-Gillard will be brimming with confidence after playing a huge role in Australia's successful World Cup defence and Tim Browne is still in the mix.

And it hasn't taken long for McKendry, 28, to impress some new teammates.

"He's been one of our best trainers and it's been burning inside of him – and you can tell," Tamou said.

"His skinfolds are good for a big guy and he's obviously strong. When we do wrestling he's just folding everyone. He loves contact. He has become the forgotten man and after a couple of years of being out he's really fired up and we're excited to see him."

Added McKendry: "I've been here 10-plus years now and I'm happy being a one-club man and we'll see what happens when I'm off contract. It's been a massive change [since I started at Penrith] and I've seen a few staff members over the years and a few different coaches."
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ady-to-rejuvenate-career-20180202-h0t30i.html

OldPanther

Coach
Written a little over week ago for anyone that hasn't seen it.

NRL 2018: Penrith Panthers' forgotten man Sam McKendry ready to rejuvenate career
February 3 2018

Adam Pengilly

The last time Sam McKendry played an NRL game he wasn't even a father yet. He wasn't far away from becoming one, but his life hadn't turned completely upside down yet.

The next time family members come rushing onto an NRL field after a game, he will have two kids to juggle. He doesn't need to be told how long it's been since he pulled on the Panthers strip.

"I've had a couple of kids and now have a 17-month old girl and six-month-old boy," McKendry said. "They keep me busy and they've kept me occupied when I've been injured and had all that downtime.

"I've had more time to spend with them and I've had to make the most of it before the season starts. It shows you how much you have to appreciate life.

"It will be exciting to take the little ones on the field after the game and it will be a good experience for them."

The easy option for the NRL's forgotten man would be to mope about a career at the crossroads after not one, but two cruciate ligament ruptures to the same knee that have sidelined him since July 2016. Yet McKendry hasn't, and won't.

The second one, suffered in a trial game as he embarked on a comeback last year, might have broken others. But with his voice barely raised above a whisper, Penrith's longest serving player knew there would always be a way back.
"It's not good [when the second one occurs], but I knew what I was in for and I knew what I had to do to get back," McKendry said. "I had my head around it. I feel fresh and ready to play. When you haven't played for so long you just can't wait to to play and I'm fighting fit now."

After his first knee hiccup, McKendry found himself consulting Panthers captain Peter Wallace about recovery and then in turn imparting that same advice to Josh Mansour. Then he found himself in rehabilitation alongside Mansour a couple of months later.

But the New Zealand international's imminent return in Penrith's first trial against the Roosters on February 17 will provide Anthony Griffin with some added starch up front.

James Tamou will be more settled in his second season at the foot of the mountains, Reagan Campbell-Gillard will be brimming with confidence after playing a huge role in Australia's successful World Cup defence and Tim Browne is still in the mix.

And it hasn't taken long for McKendry, 28, to impress some new teammates.

"He's been one of our best trainers and it's been burning inside of him – and you can tell," Tamou said.

"His skinfolds are good for a big guy and he's obviously strong. When we do wrestling he's just folding everyone. He loves contact. He has become the forgotten man and after a couple of years of being out he's really fired up and we're excited to see him."

Added McKendry: "I've been here 10-plus years now and I'm happy being a one-club man and we'll see what happens when I'm off contract. It's been a massive change [since I started at Penrith] and I've seen a few staff members over the years and a few different coaches."
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ady-to-rejuvenate-career-20180202-h0t30i.html

I wish him all the best. He's been a good clubman.

mxlegend99

Referee
Will be interesting to see how he goes. It's been 4 or 5 seasons since he was close to his best.

I really hope the time off has healed up his body so that he's fitter and stronger than ever. His knee will probably never be 100% again. But if the rest of him is in perfect condition then he's a chance at jumping Browne and Leota in the pecking order. We only have 2 front rowers that are above average NRL players.

RCG who is now our best by miles
Tamou who is yet to deliver that in a Panthers jersey.

McKendry could potentially become our #3 prop.

betcats

Referee
I thought he was showing signs when he last was healthy, that neck really took it out of him.

soc123_au

Staff member
You would think with so long now the neck would be 100%. if he can get somewhere near to what he was before that then he will be very handy. To work through 2 knee recos back to back certainly shows he is determined.

kinghippo

Juniors
From all reports he is a great guy and excellent at helping younger forwards with their game.
Even if he is playing reserve grade only this year the club will benefit from his experience.
I hope the club recognises his hard work and offers him a job. helping players rehab is a really important role he would be good at

Pomoz

Bench
You would think with so long now the neck would be 100%. if he can get somewhere near to what he was before that then he will be very handy. To work through 2 knee recos back to back certainly shows he is determined.
You would hope so, but I thought he had some vertebrae fused so unfortunately, it will never be 100%.

Another good story on Sam Mac

The re-birth of Sam McKendry

By
Nathan Taylor
-
March 3, 2018, 10:37
Since he debuted in the NRL a decade ago, Sam McKendry has always been a hard player to interview. Not arrogant or disinterested, just your typical softly spoken Kiwi forward.

Every word, every sentence, seemed hard to deliver.

But in recent months, there has been a change in McKendry. He has a newfound confidence and comes across a lot more open with fans, club sponsors and the media.

At Penrith’s 2018 season launch last week, McKendry was working the room as if it was a launch purely for him. He was charismatic, polite and was more than happy to chat and take photos.

The man they call “Mack Truck” seemed rejuvenated, hungry and eager. After two years from hell, this was a relaunch for him.

Midway through the 2016 season, McKendry tore his ACL – an unfortunately all too common injury for players in this day and age.

McKendry got the surgery, completed the gruelling, lonely road to recovery and was back.

But during Penrith’s final trial game in 2017 – his first stint back on the paddock – McKendry was dealt the cruelest of blows, injuring his knee for a second time.

Despite attempts to get him back on the park in 2017, the decision was made to undergo more surgery and plan for another comeback.

While his time away from the game was naturally tough to bear, he and his wife Kirsten welcomed the birth of two children – Isla and Isaac.

“They were major positives, having my kids took my mind off what I was going through,” McKendry told the Weekender.

“It was great having my wife around supporting me during that time. You just have to take the positives out of the negatives and that’s what I ended up doing.”

mckendry3.jpg

Sam McKendry is raring to go. Photo: Melinda Jane
Earlier this month, the 28-year-old made his long awaited return to footy during Penrith’s lone trial win over the Sydney Roosters.

Fans all over the NRL world wished McKendry luck upon his return, praying one of the nice guys of rugby league would get through unscathed.

“It was good seeing that sort of stuff, it drives me to keep playing footy,” McKendry said.

“It’s always good to have the fans behind you. I just can’t wait to be out there and playing again.”

Last weekend, McKendry successfully got through his second trial and he’s now in with a huge shot of making Penrith’s final 17 for their opening round clash against Parramatta.

“I just have to play good footy, and I’ll have a good chance of getting my place back,” he said.

“I want to 100 per cent be in that NRL team again, that’s what I’ve been training for and that’s what I’ll be aiming to do.”
http://westernweekender.com.au/2018/03/the-re-birth-of-sam-mckendry/

OldPanther

Coach
Another good story on Sam Mac

The re-birth of Sam McKendry

By
Nathan Taylor
-
March 3, 2018, 10:37
Since he debuted in the NRL a decade ago, Sam McKendry has always been a hard player to interview. Not arrogant or disinterested, just your typical softly spoken Kiwi forward.

Every word, every sentence, seemed hard to deliver.

But in recent months, there has been a change in McKendry. He has a newfound confidence and comes across a lot more open with fans, club sponsors and the media.

At Penrith’s 2018 season launch last week, McKendry was working the room as if it was a launch purely for him. He was charismatic, polite and was more than happy to chat and take photos.

The man they call “Mack Truck” seemed rejuvenated, hungry and eager. After two years from hell, this was a relaunch for him.

Midway through the 2016 season, McKendry tore his ACL – an unfortunately all too common injury for players in this day and age.

McKendry got the surgery, completed the gruelling, lonely road to recovery and was back.

But during Penrith’s final trial game in 2017 – his first stint back on the paddock – McKendry was dealt the cruelest of blows, injuring his knee for a second time.

Despite attempts to get him back on the park in 2017, the decision was made to undergo more surgery and plan for another comeback.

While his time away from the game was naturally tough to bear, he and his wife Kirsten welcomed the birth of two children – Isla and Isaac.

“They were major positives, having my kids took my mind off what I was going through,” McKendry told the Weekender.

“It was great having my wife around supporting me during that time. You just have to take the positives out of the negatives and that’s what I ended up doing.”

mckendry3.jpg

Sam McKendry is raring to go. Photo: Melinda Jane
Earlier this month, the 28-year-old made his long awaited return to footy during Penrith’s lone trial win over the Sydney Roosters.

Fans all over the NRL world wished McKendry luck upon his return, praying one of the nice guys of rugby league would get through unscathed.

“It was good seeing that sort of stuff, it drives me to keep playing footy,” McKendry said.

“It’s always good to have the fans behind you. I just can’t wait to be out there and playing again.”

Last weekend, McKendry successfully got through his second trial and he’s now in with a huge shot of making Penrith’s final 17 for their opening round clash against Parramatta.

“I just have to play good footy, and I’ll have a good chance of getting my place back,” he said.

“I want to 100 per cent be in that NRL team again, that’s what I’ve been training for and that’s what I’ll be aiming to do.”
http://westernweekender.com.au/2018/03/the-re-birth-of-sam-mckendry/

Hope he makes a successful comeback.

mxlegend99

Referee
Eels pack would be a horrible time to return IMO. They're very tough and aggressive.

I think our best rotation would be Tamou, RCG, Leota and JFH. Sam can get some fitness in NSW Cup and fight Browne for first choice depth IMO. Then hopefully play so well he keeps his spot.

mxlegend99

Referee
Eels pack would be a horrible time to return IMO. They're very tough and aggressive.

I think our best rotation would be Tamou, RCG, Leota and JFH. Sam can get some fitness in NSW Cup and fight Browne for first choice depth IMO. Then hopefully play so well he keeps his spot.
Well I was wrong about that. Ripper of a game against Eels pack. Who were terrible really.

He looked even better than he did leading up to his injury.

OldPanther

Coach
Must have worked really hard. Looks like he's genuinely earned his spot in the 17 over the off season with his excellent game against the Eels. Really caught me off guard in a good way. Honestly hope he plays all 29 games for us this year.

mxlegend99

Referee
Must have worked really hard. Looks like he's genuinely earned his spot in the 17 over the off season with his excellent game against the Eels. Really caught me off guard in a good way. Honestly hope he plays all 29 games for us this year.
29?

24 regular season games. We win minor premiership.
Finals week 1. Win that to go week 3.
Finals week 3 win that. Go into GF.
GF. Game #27 for us.

28 would be the most possible with 4 weeks of finals. Although going undeafeated means we can only play 27.

OldPanther

Coach
29?

24 regular season games. We win minor premiership.
Finals week 1. Win that to go week 3.
Finals week 3 win that. Go into GF.
GF. Game #27 for us.

28 would be the most possible with 4 weeks of finals. Although going undeafeated means we can only play 27.

Oops I didn't consider bye rounds. Did 26 minor prems, week 1 of finals, week before gf and gf.