What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Thaiday linebacker offer

coach

Adrian Proszenko | February 1, 2009

BEN GRAHAM is about to become the first Australian to play in the Super Bowl. Sam Thaiday wants to be the next.

Brisbane Broncos star Thaiday has revealed his desire to test himself in American football after Australian-based talent scouts approached his management about a potential code switch.

The development will shock the Broncos, who had opened talks with Thaiday's management in the hope of extending the Queensland forward's stay at Red Hill beyond 2009.

Representatives from Ozpunt - the organisation working with Newcastle forward Cory Paterson and former Sydney Swan Nick Davis - contacted Thaiday's management late last week after ear-marking the 23-year-old as a potential NFL linebacker. The parties are expected to meet in coming weeks.

Thaiday, off contract at the end of this season, said he would "seriously consider" making the switch to the American game.

"I'd love to go over there," Thaiday told The Sun-Herald."It would be a great experience, getting to train and play with such great players.
"Seeing the States is also on my to-do list, I'd love to see America, everyone with their big cars and gangster chains.

"It's another level above NRL. You watch it on TV and realise how big it is over there in the States, all the way from high school and college into the professional NFL league.

"It's amazing the crowds they get and the hype around it.

"It would be good to go over there and it's another option."

Australians are the flavour of the month in the US. Arizona Cardinals punter Graham will become the first local to play in the NFL's showpiece event, the Super Bowl, tomorrow morning (AEDT).

The former Geelong captain is one of four Australians to play in the NFL this season, alongside former Collingwood forward Sav Rocca (Philadelphia), Dallas Cowboys superboot Mat McBriar and Jacksonville's Cameron Stephenson.

Three Aussies - Colin Ridgway, Colin Scotts and Darren Bennett - have previously played in the NFL. All of those players have an AFL background and were scouted for their ability to boot the ball as a gridiron punter or kicker.

However, Bennett believes the next generation of Australians will be scouted from the NRL or rugby union ranks and selected to fill field positions.

"Aussie Rules presents players who naturally kick the football, but I think there's a lot of rugby union and league players that have the body type to be able to make the transition to a tight end or a running back or a linebacker," Graham told The Sun-Herald.

Graham cautioned it was not simply a case of turning up and having millions of dollars thrown at you, pointing to the difficulties Sydney Roosters forward Willie Mason had in impressing NFL talent scouts during try-outs.

"[The challenge is] they haven't grown up with the sport and don't understand the fine nature of each position to be able to just walk in," Graham said.

"I was privy to bringing Willie Mason to work out at the Jets. Even though Willie is a supreme athlete, it showed he didn't understand the game well enough to deliver a good workout. The scouts saw him and expected him to deliver something they see every day, but he's not used to the movements or playing in that position. He looked more like a project than just a walk-up start."

Thaiday, however, said he would welcome the challenge of mixing it with the big boppers earning millions in the US.

"I love tackling big boys here, the Willie Masons and the Carl Webbs, because it's such a challenge, they're bigger than me and they're hard to tackle," he said.

"That's something I love, I like the confrontation and getting in to do the hard stuff.

"I could probably handle [the NFL players], but I'd have to wait and see how big they are.

"I'm still only young. If my body holds up, maybe I could give it a crack over there for a couple of years.

"I'm more than willing to seriously consider a stint over there."
Swans star Barry Hall knocked back a similar approach to pursue American football last year, while new Broncos recruit Israel Folau recently admitted that he was "definitely interested" in NFL opportunities.

Ozpunt's Paul Shepherd said NFL clubs had broadened their scope in the search for Australian talent.

"We've had direction from NFL clubs to find some guys to play in the field - guys from league and union - rather than just punters," he said.

"Based on his aggressiveness and ability to tackle, Sam looks like he'd make a good linebacker. We'd be happy to meet up with him and put him through some drills."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/sams-linebacker-offer/2009/01/31/1232818793293.html

coach

Sam its nice to have dreams. But your chances of playing in the NFL are zero.

You have no background in the game of american football at all. Just because you are a good league player does not mean you would make even an average NFL player. The skills in playing american football are totally different of those to play league. It would take you many years of intesive training and coaching to learn the basic fundamentals of the game.

While your size as a league player may be impressive, you would be considered small as an NFL player espescially a linebacker. Your size of 181cm and 108kg coverts out to 5 foot 10 inches and 238 pounds.

coach

Sam its nice to have dreams. But your chances of playing in the NFL are zero.

You have no background in the game of american football at all. Just because you are a good league player does not mean you would make even an average NFL player. The skills in playing american football are totally different of those to play league. It would take you many years of intesive training and coaching to learn the basic fundamentals of the game. No NFL team is going to spend that sort of time and money developing player when they have so many to choose from within there own country.

While your size as a league player may be impressive, you would be considered small as an NFL player espescially a linebacker. Your size of 181cm and 108kg coverts out to 5 foot 10 inches and 238 pounds.

As I said its nice to have dreams but its not going to happen.

coach

he'd be a crap linebacker. too fat.

If he is too fat at 238lbs then I would hate to think how light he would be if he was fit.

Regardless he will not make it in the NFL. Wont even get a chance. Its all talk just like it was with Willie Mason a few years back.

jdizzle

Juniors
If he is too fat at 238lbs then I would hate to think how light he would be if he was fit.

Regardless he will not make it in the NFL. Wont even get a chance. Its all talk just like it was with Willie Mason a few years back.

LBs have practically no body fat. IMO they and RBs have the best "physique"s.

I wasn't referring to weight, I've seen fotage of Thaiday shirtless and whilst he is clearly strong, he is not at the level of a brian urlacher or ray lewis. he has a lot of body fat in comparison.

shaggy

Juniors
the article talks about league & union players playing league and my first thought went to willie mason, i think sam thaiday is in the same boat, all talk no action

coach

the article talks about league & union players playing league and my first thought went to willie mason, i think sam thaiday is in the same boat, all talk no action

You can add Adam MacDougall to that list

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Alot of outside linebackers are 6'0 and 230-250 pounds, i don't think the size is the issue. The problem as stated is the technical aspect of the game, he has no chance of being able to learn it and apply it in a short period of time.

nqcowboy87

Bench
colin scotts didnt have an afl background him and paul sironen were scouted from schoolboys rugby and sent over to hawaii
with sam thaiday, i dont say it never will, but theres virtually no chnace he would get a game, its like folau would make a an awesome wr but people that play the field positions like offensive defensive linesmen and wide recievers have been playing their whole life going from school to college to nfl. one position i reckon a player like folau, hodges or karmichael hunt could just walk into would be punt returner, but they usually give those to developing wide recivers i think

dragonfire

Bench
colin scotts didnt have an afl background him and paul sironen were scouted from schoolboys rugby and sent over to hawaii
with sam thaiday, i dont say it never will, but theres virtually no chnace he would get a game, its like folau would make a an awesome wr but people that play the field positions like offensive defensive linesmen and wide recievers have been playing their whole life going from school to college to nfl. one position i reckon a player like folau, hodges or karmichael hunt could just walk into would be punt returner, but they usually give those to developing wide recivers i think

nup none of the three guys would make it as a punt/kick returner, they give it to guys who have elite speed and agility. The only position that Thaiday would have a chance with is fullback

hellteam

First Grade
Where he played for the University of Hawaii. This led to him being drafted.

Exactly it would be impossible for a player (thats not a punter) to go straight to professional NFL bypassing college and the draft etc.

"everyone with their big cars and gangster chains".... pfft

nqcowboy87

Bench
Originally Posted by nqcowboy87

nup none of the three guys would make it as a punt/kick returner, they give it to guys who have elite speed and agility. The only position that Thaiday would have a chance with is fullback

wich folau has in spades

coach

Exactly it would be impossible for a player (thats not a punter) to go straight to professional NFL bypassing college and the draft etc.

"everyone with their big cars and gangster chains".... pfft

If you are a young (teenage) football player here and are deadly keen to play in the NFL. You need to find yourself a college in the US.

Latest posts