What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Samoa v Tonga, Battle of the Pacific series (my proposal)

wain

Juniors
It's classic RL to not seize an opportunity and run with it, but we need to capitalise on the Pacific momentum in the past few years. Being held back by Aus RL's lack of desire to play games can't keep keep happening.

It was interesting to read the article about using it as a gateway into the USA.

And seeing the footage worldwide this week, has proven bigger than I thought it could have been. Let's build some hype and have confidence in our product!

What about about this for a 5 week series, taking in cities with large Polynesian communities as well as the home nations. Id be all for women's matches also, but would love to see local teams (in the USA and home nations games) to play curtain raisers to hopefully have a positive legacy on the local scene. Imagine the teams being able to spend a few days in each city doing development work, particularly before their home nations and USA matches!

Selling 70-80,000 tickets in the US/Aus/NZ markets would easily make enough money to offset smaller gates on the islands.
Playing 5 games and earning a decent amount of coin should also be another way to combat the lure of Origin money.

wk 1:
Salt Lake City. pop: 1.2 mill
America First Stadium, capacity: 20,000
Packed-Rio-Tinto-Stadium-Sunset-620x370.jpg

wk 2:
Bay Area. pop: 7.7 mill
PayPal Park, capacity: 18,000
earthquakes-avaya-11-032215*1200xx5760-3240-0-300.jpg

wk 3:
Apia, Samoa. pop: 40,000
Apia Park, capacity: 12,000
a-general-view-of-apia-park-during-the-international-test-match-between-samoa-and-the-new.jpg

wk 4:
Nukuʻalofa, Tonga. pop: 70,000.
Teufaiva Sport Stadium, capacity: 10,000.
images

wk 5:
Sydney. pop: 5 mill
Commbank Stadium, capacity: 30,000
Newsroom_stadium.jpg

(cont. next post)

wain

Juniors
(cont.)

The three other options I would interchange:
USA option.
Honolulu. pop: 1 mill
New Aloha Stadium: 35,000 (open 2025)
RG4JD2HBMBDJTPP3DRXDQZ2VIU.jpg

NZ option.
Auckland. pop: 1.6 mill
Eden Park: 50,000
eden-park-rugby.jpg

Aus option.
Brisbane. pop: 2.5 mill
Suncorp Stadium: 52,500
suncorp-origin-2020.jpg

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Agreed that it is the time to get ambitious with the international game. We've got 7 quality international sides that will only get better and a further 2 or 3 with medium term potential to join the party

LeagueXIII

First Grade
First thing I'd be doing is parading the team through the streets of Apia.

I wouldnt like to see 3 Test series...one off events or tournament style games.

Matua

Bench
First thing I'd be doing is parading the team through the streets of Apia.

I wouldnt like to see 3 Test series...one off events or tournament style games.
Be a good chance for some of them to visit for the first time. 😉

Perth Red

Post Whore
Biggest problem is who is repsonsible for deciding such things? If it’s the AUSTRALIAN RLC then good luck. Doesn’t seem samoa and tongan rl administration has the capability to do it, the IRL doesn’t have the role to do it. So who takes the lead to make IRL a priority?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Biggest problem is who is repsonsible for deciding such things? If it’s the AUSTRALIAN RLC then good luck. Doesn’t seem samoa and tongan rl administration has the capability to do it, the IRL doesn’t have the role to do it. So who takes the lead to make IRL a priority?
I think it will be the ARLC that ultimately decide whether it will happen or not, but here's the thing. If the ARLC can see the dollars, then they'll fund it and play it. And I'm sure anyone with half a brain at the ARL can see that we have a very strong Kiwis, England, Tonga, Samoa and a good Fiji and PNG. If you can't make money from any combination of those each year in a tournament then it's time to resign.

Latest posts