What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sandcastle construction

Alan Shore

First Grade
This seems to have been a lost art in rugby league. Who was the last player to attempt a goalkick off sand, or to kick off from a sand tee?

jonno_knights

Juniors
Clinton Schfoske (?) was one of the last if my memory serves me correct.

He also had an unusual design too, very tall and skinny. He was very particular in his contruction too. Took him ages.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Found these two pics from the 2001 season,

http://www.gettyimages.com.au/detail/news-photo/clinton-schifcofske-of-the-raiders-kicks-a-goal-to-become-news-photo/1570723

http://www.gettyimages.com.au/detai...aiders-in-action-during-the-news-photo/984517

jonno_knights

Juniors
doesn't look all that tall and skinny

more like short and stumpy?

I was going off 10 year memory in that first post, I was 10 at the time. Obviously that photo doesnt support my recollection, but seeing some of the other 'sandcastles' in my quick search that is one of the taller ones. Some of the ones were just a small layer of sand to fill in the grass so the ball would stay upright without having to do the old heel dig.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Has the sand been banned? I'm surprised we haven't seen any kickers ask for sand in tight games at the end to waste time.

Snappy

Coach
Has the sand been banned? I'm surprised we haven't seen any kickers ask for sand in tight games at the end to waste time.

Seriously, the refs would just blow time off if kicker was wasting time.

Kicking tees are much better so save the stuff around and keep the game moving as fast as possible.

Loudstrat

Coach
So says Snappy th goal kicking expert........

I have no idea who was the last, but Im sure Daryl Halligan was the first to use the tees. From memory he made his own from plastic pots.

Snappy

Coach
:lol: loudtwat

Never claimed to be a kicking expert.

But clearly the use of tees saves time

Eels Dude

Coach
Wasn't there a game a couple of years ago, where it was so windy the ball kept being blown off the kicking tee, so the player asked for sand and it took them a few minutes to be able to locate a bucket of sand to do the kickoff.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Schifcofske was the last bloke i recall seeing do it.
Might have been someone after him but i cant remember

Raider_69

Post Whore
Had green sand too.....yeh he was very particular with his mounds

funny that the shot clock rule, aka the "Clinton Schifcofske Rule" has gone by the wayside since he left... the bloke could milk the clock of 10 minutes with 3-4 tries :lol:

Latest posts