What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW and Toronto

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...YmNhYMG9I6MeRd4Y0E2JUT6qhcGFy3I5q98iffFv6Vllg

Sonny Bill Williams is weighing up the richest contract in the history of either rugby code after a jaw-dropping offer to switch back to the 13-a-side game from Super League-bound club Toronto Wolfpack.

Williams' tilt at another Rugby World Cup triumph with New Zealand was stopped in its tracks by Eddie Jones's England in Japan on Saturday and the 34-year-old is now preparing to turn out for the All Blacks in the tournament's third-place play-off against Wales.

The former NRL premiership winner appeared set to hang up the boots this year but it has emerged the cross-code star has received contract offers in recent weeks which would top any pay packet he has earned throughout his 16-year career.

The Canadian team are prepared to pay Williams as much as $9 million over two years, according to a source with knowledge of the contract negotiation.
If he puts pen to paper on the staggering deal, it would make him the highest paid player in the history of either code.

Williams would be signed as a Super League marquee player and according to the rules of that competition only $300,000 of a marquee player's annual wage counts under the salary cap.
The remainder does not count under the cap, allowing cashed-up clubs to pay big-name players exorbitant salaries.

Williams has also received multi-year, multi-million dollar offers from overseas rugby clubs which would still make him one of the highest paid players in the history of either sport.

The enormous sums being offered to Williams will blow any NRL suitors out of the water despite some clubs having registered interest in the All Blacks star in recent months.

Sydney Roosters chairman Nick Politis met with Williams' agent, Khoder Nasser, earlier this month but the glamour club will not be able to compete with the money being thrown at the two-time NRL premiership winner.

However, Politis is interested in bringing Williams back to the club in a coaching or other capacity once his playing days are finally behind him.

The Wolfpack are funded by Australian mining billionaire David Argyle, who confirmed interest in bringing Williams to Toronto earlier this year.

"We are working towards making Sonny Bill Williams a Wolfpack player for 2020. We would love to have him join the Wolfpack family and we will pay whatever it takes to make that happen," Argyle told Fox Sports in February.

"The excitement he would bring to the sport of rugby league in this country would be incredible."

Argyle compared the potential Williams signing to the move made by David Beckham to LA Galaxy from Real Madrid in 2007.

"Having someone of his talent join the Wolfpack would greatly raise the profile of the club, but also help move the game forward globally," he said at the time.

"Sonny is a phenomenal athlete. He is rugby’s LeBron James and we see his recruitment as bigger than when David Beckham joined LA Galaxy. He is box office and puts bums on seats."

Williams is still in Japan with the All Blacks as they prepare to face Wales in Friday's third-place play-off in Tokyo.

Outgoing All Blacks coach Steve Hansen has copped criticism from New Zealand media in the days after the loss to England for not starting Williams in the centres.

Toronto will feature in the England-based Super League for the first time next year, having earned promotion by beating Featherstone Rovers in the Million Pound Game in Ontario earlier this month.

The club only played their first professional match three years ago, with former Leeds coach Brian McDermott taking the reins and leading the club to Super League promotion in his first season in charge.

Great outcome for SBW. Not sure he'd be up to NRL nowadays... At his age, it would take him a while to adjust again one would think.

Superleague is nowhere near as rigorous on the body and he will still be a cut above that standard. Will provide a link to Rugby League for Canadian Union fans and also will probably still be a drawcard for English league and union fans alike.

Worth every penny to Toronto imo.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Perfect signing and fit for Toronto but not at that price. Then again it’s not my money so all power to the Wolfpack.

jim_57

Staff member
For that money you could probably have Radradra and Koroibete on the wings with another Canadian or English Union signing thrown in.

It's a bold move, they are essentially spending the money on marketing, not sure how much pull SBW can command in Canada though.

batley

Juniors
I would at least hope if Toronto are prepared to pay out this kind of money for a has been, they have a clause which if he doesn't come up with the goods he doesn't get the money.
Williams is crafty, knows that League is a more intense game than Union so I don't see a move to League coming up.

Springs09

Juniors
I would at least hope if Toronto are prepared to pay out this kind of money for a has been, they have a clause which if he doesn't come up with the goods he doesn't get the money.
Williams is crafty, knows that League is a more intense game than Union so I don't see a move to League coming up.

Since when has there ever been clauses like that?

taste2taste

Juniors
For that money you could probably have Radradra and Koroibete on the wings with another Canadian or English Union signing thrown in.

It's a bold move, they are essentially spending the money on marketing, not sure how much pull SBW can command in Canada though.

Clubs can only sign 1 player as a marquee signing...not a whole back line :D

Roosters always talk about the professionalism and lasting impact he had on their culture. The Wolfpack would be hoping for the same.

Anyways, its the first time I can ever remember league being able to outbid French and Japanese rugby :D

jim_57

Staff member

Roosters always talk about the professionalism and lasting impact he had on their culture. The Wolfpack would be hoping for the same.

Anyways, its the first time I can ever remember league being able to outbid French and Japanese rugby :D

Yeh good point. Isn't there a salary cap exemption for Union players too though? Or is that limited to one player as well?

Anyone who thinks he isn't still good enough for Superleague is kidding themselves. If he signs and goes through the season without significant injury, he will be the best player in that competition by some margin.

If he were coming back to NRL he may not make as big an impact but Superleague is a few steps below NRL level.

taste2taste

Juniors
Yeh good point. Isn't there a salary cap exemption for Union players too though? Or is that limited to one player as well?
Is this right about cap exemption for Union players ?
Have any Union players signed with an ESL club? Don't all the players go the other way ?

Springs09

Juniors
We are talking big money here.The Wolfpack need to cover themselves.

And? You can't have a contract that says 'if you don't perform as good as what our subjective opinion thinks you should be performing then you only get 10% of the money'.

They could go the other way and have performance-based bonuses but you can't have a 'clause' where a player doesn't get their contracted money because they didn't live up to expectations.

Haffa

Clubs can actually sign two marquee players.

jim_57

Staff member
Is this right about cap exemption for Union players ?
Have any Union players signed with an ESL club? Don't all the players go the other way ?

I believe so, not sure if it was a full exemption or just a %. I could be imagining it too.

taste2taste

Juniors
I believe so, not sure if it was a full exemption or just a %. I could be imagining it too.
Interesting, was googling the cap for ESL, I guess Toronto could splash some money on a second marque player and could also try and entice some union players to come over or come back ? It seems Te'o time is done playing for England ... I wonder If he'd come back to the greatest game of all.

- Marquee Player – Each Super League and Championship Club is permitted to have two Marquee Players whose Salary Cap Value is limited to £150,000 (or £75,000 if Club Trained).

- New Talent Pool Dispensation – Any Player who has not previously played Rugby League is given a value of £0 in the first year of his contract and at 50% of his true value in the second year.

- Returning Talent Pool Dispensation – Any Player who has not previously played Rugby League in the 5 years prior to signing is given a value of 50% of his true value in the first year of his contract and 75% of his true value in the second year.

https://www.rugby-league.com/salary_cap_regulations

Danish

Referee
Would love to see him lining up for the wolfpack, not least of all because I'll be living in NY during his contract so intended to go to at least 1 wolfpack game.

The influence he had on our forward pack is still being felt today at the roosters. Any ESL club would be lucky to have SBW's services. Great move by Toronto.

They should target Benji Marshall as their 2nd marquee signing. He would absolutely destroy the less structured super league defences.

taste2taste

Juniors
Interesting to see who he signs for. He was quoted in the media during the year saying he wants his last stint to be meaningful. Does my memory serve me correctly he didn't particularly enjoy his time in Top 14? He ended his contract early to go play Super Rugby? I doubt he'd take less money to play in France ... but you never know :/ The Telegraph is saying this morning that Toronto are very confident of signing sbw and are expecting an answer from him next week.

Interesting about Wade, I'd guess he would come under 'new talent pool ' which would mean £0 of his contract would come under the cap.

That would leave a spot open for a second marquee signing.

ed612313

Juniors
Stupid signing.
Could get 5 or 6 quality nrl players and fill the rest of the team with solid players for that money and win SL in 1st year.

Latest posts