What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW: the example for Islander players

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Who are you to say what he's worth? The guy only plays half the total games cause he's so injury prone. The Bulldogs offering him a 5 year contract is a gamble on their part.

And what are the Bulldogs supposed to do? Give each player an IQ test before offering them a contract? Do you know his IQ by the way? He's old enough to sign the legal document, therefore he's old enough to face the consequences.

I'm hoping the Bulldogs force him to sit out the next 4 years.

It isn't for me to say what he is worth. Toulon have decided he is worth 1.5mill a season. That is his current worth and cannot be denied.

The Bulldogs should have SBW's best interests at heart. I remember Cronulla letting Danny Nuttley go because the offer from overseas was too good to let him pass up.

Using contractual force to stop the player drain is NOT going to work.

TheBigMan

Juniors
It isn't for me to say what he is worth. Toulon have decided he is worth 1.5mill a season. That is his current worth and cannot be denied.

The Bulldogs should have SBW's best interests at heart. I remember Cronulla letting Danny Nuttley go because the offer from overseas was too good to let him pass up.

Using contractual force to stop the player drain is NOT going to work.

He didn't have that offer from Toulon when he signed the 5 year deal, therefore he wasn't worth $1.5 million a season at that time. Maybe you're right, the Bulldogs should've known about the offer. I suppose their crystal ball was broken that day???

Last edited:

Ram Man

Juniors
Canterbury did not give SBW his future. He would have been an outrageous success no matter what club he went to. Canterbury got hold of him and made bloody sure they didn't let him go. That is all they have done.

SBW is the cream that rises to the surface.

Ok maybe I worded that phrase incorrectly.
He was always going to have a future, but it was the Bulldogs who stood by him while he took up a considerable amount of the salary cap when he sat numerous weeks on the sideline with injury or the years of development of his skills and the investement of time and money into turning him in to a dominating player not just a wasted talent who fell through the cracks and is now playing for the Chinchilla Watermelons. (No offence to the Watermelons there!)
I understand his enormous talent and there was no disputing that.
And any club would have loved to have had him on the books.

But no matter how much he thinks hes worth, it does not justify the fact that he has made himself out to be a hypocrite, liar and a disrespectful little $hit who jumped when the ship was sinking (sorry to the dogs fan...not meant to be a pi$$ take on your team). He signed the contract he asked for. He has been given everything he wanted and he still thinks the world owes him more.

mxlegend99

Referee
LMFAO @ savethechildren

SBW walks out on his team, betraying his teammates, Bulldogs supporters and the NRL in general... and it's everyone elses fault. You have to be a troll, surely no one can be that stupid?

SBW isn't a kid. He wasn't taken advantage of. Demanding a 5 year contract when he's injury prone and a career ending injury could happen at any time was a very smart move. His signed with the Bulldogs at his NRL market value, and he managed to con them into a 5 year deal and secured his future. Bulldogs lost out bigtime.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
He didn't have that offer from Toulon when he signed the 5 year deal, therefore he wasn't worth $1.5 million a season at that time. Maybe you're right, the Bulldogs should've known about the offer. I suppose their crystal ball was broken that day???
You don't need a crystal ball. They knew at the time he was worth twice what they were offering, but foolishly went ahead anyway with a long term contract. If it hadn't been such a long term contract he wouldn't feel so trapped.

Shorty

Staff member
^Who cares:S
He has Samoan in him and that's all the should matter,I mean he's quite clearly not just Caucasian and he doesn't identify himself that way either.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
He has Samoan in him and that's all the should matter

lol, so it doesn't matter if you're white/Caucasian/Anglo, but it does if you're Samoan?

I don't really care ftr, just pointing out it seems funny that a light-skinned, mostly Caucasian person born and bred in Auckland is trying to be a spokesman for "Islanders".

He cant be that dumb im pretty sure he'll be making more money that you over the next 2 years.

Yeah, you're right, he's a genius.

He's right, he needs to earn as much as he can now because he'll be worthless when his career as a football finishes.

Mopping floors is about all he'll be good for.

TheBigMan

Juniors
You don't need a crystal ball. They knew at the time he was worth twice what they were offering, but foolishly went ahead anyway with a long term contract. If it hadn't been such a long term contract he wouldn't feel so trapped.

Yes, and because he negotiated the contract, he's at fault not the Bulldogs. They offered him the most they could afford. He accepted that. Bulldogs did absolutely nothing wrong here. As many people here already said but you don't seem to acknowledge, the Dogs offered him 3 years and he negotiated the extra 2. What are the Dogs supposed to do, say "no that would be taking advantage of you??"

:roll:

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Yes, and because he negotiated the contract, he's at fault not the Bulldogs. They offered him the most they could afford. He accepted that. Bulldogs did absolutely nothing wrong here. As many people here already said but you don't seem to acknowledge, the Dogs offered him 3 years and he negotiated the extra 2. What are the Dogs supposed to do, say "no that would be taking advantage of you??"

:roll:

Correct. That is EXACTLY what they should have done. Otherwise, he would probably just end up walking out on his contract well before time.

Oh yeah. That is what happened.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Happily.

I have a mate who owns a cleaning business, he'd probably give him a run at 8 or maybe even 9 dollars an hour.

By that time, that'll seem like plenty to SBW.

Hmmm. I think the 10 odd million he will earn over the rest of his career in union should do very nicely.

Nice for you to have a back up plan though.