What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW - The next Terry Lamb?

ngunity

Juniors
Pando

am a HUGE Terry Lamb fan, I've got and read his biography about 3-4 times. 'Cause I was too young to see his entire career my fondest memories of Lamb include the idiocy of the field goal when down by 2 (the humour value appeals), and most fondly the CRUNCHING HIT he put on Toovey in the 1995 GF.

I gotta tell ya though SBW doesn't remind me ONE BIT of Terry Lamb. Sure they're both passionate, skilled, etc but for christ sake man Mal Meninga didn't remind me of Dayle Shearer either, despite the fact they were both awesome Queenslanders/ Australian reps.... :lol:

I fail to notice SBW's ability to ALWAYS backup like Terry did. seems to me nowadays it's more likely to be Corey, Braith, or the General running onto the final pass and not SBW. SBW is the guy who is BREAKING the line, those magic offloads, his hard work in attack and defense.... Lamb was a thinker, a kicker, a pocket dynamo of heart and effort but the two are like Day and night in comparison.

I just think you've got a pretty thin comparison there old chap, maybe you could beef up the comparison further???

^ Pando

retired
Don't get me wrong. Lamb was the best at backing up this game has seen, but SBW is still young and on his way.

We'll agree to disagree, but I see a lot of Lamb in the way SBW plays. *insert kiwi joke here* :p

ngunity

Juniors
nice NZ pun there Pando.

I found the book BTW; it's called (aptly): The Terry Lamb Story ~by Alan Whiticker. Published in 1992 so it didn't quite cover Lamb's career but is still a cracker of a read if you're hungry for........ Lamb ;-)

Was thinking; If SBW agrees to less $$$ to stay with the Dogs in the future that'll make him more Tezza like.

I once saw Terry Lamb lead a tall building in a single bound.

What it comes down to is this.....

Untill SBW gets OWNED by Mal meninga in a Grand Final.....he will be nothing like Terry Lamb!

^ Pando

retired
nospam49 said:
I once saw Terry Lamb lead a tall building in a single bound.

What it comes down to is this.....

Untill SBW gets OWNED by Mal meninga in a Grand Final.....he will be nothing like Terry Lamb!

Leading a tall building is something I'd like to see. Is Meninga still playing? :eek:

Broncodroid

Juniors
Why is there a constant need for fans and media to look for the next "big thing" or next "Wally Lewis" or in this case "Terry Lamb" ? It sets up unrealistic expectation for one player all of 19 y.o. who has perhaps 15 years left in our game to forge his own legacy and be the first Sonny-Bill Williams.

I will remind you all, SBW who is undoubtedly loaded with talent, has to back up this potential next season, the year after and so on before we can compare to a modern day great like Terry Lamb. Give me 7-10 years of quality Rugby League before I mention you in the same sentence as someone like Baa'.

Look at the following list:

Jason Martin (NEW)
Mathew Rodwell (NEW)
Jack Eldsgood (MAN)
Danny Moore (MAN)
Andrew McFadden (CAN)
Royston Lightning (CAN)
Todd Peyton (CAN)
Jason Death (CAN)
Michael Brown (BAL)
Jason Ferris (CAN)
Willie Peters (STH)

The above players were all going be the next 'big things' in their position or for their club. Some players there younger members will not remember, older members may, a guy like McFadden once dubbed a 'Super Mac' apparently was going forge a legacy with Mark McLinden in Canberra after the retirment of Laurie Daley.

Michael Brown was a hooker who RL "experts" were calling to push Benny Elias from 1st grade at Balmain lo, Jason Death was 'as good as Steve Walters', Todd Peyton was going to give Canberra their next "Lazo" and the list goes on.

What about the famous quote from Tugga Coleman who said 'Peters is the next Peter Sterling' whilst Canberra had a Ricky Stuart incarnate in Jason Ferris :roll:

Give the kid a chance to grow into his own player, give every SBW, Karmichael Hunt or Anthony Tupou some breathing room and not load them up with unwanted expectation.

In ending here, SBW compared to Terry Lamb IMO is a bad comparison given both had / have different roles on the field. SBW is a comparison to a young Gordan Tallis, Brad Clyde, Stephen Kearney perhaps...Lamb, not so much IMO.

Greenblooded

Juniors
Jason Martin (NEW)

Did Martin start at Newcastle? I though he was from Norths.
Spot on post mate, comparisons are always a hit and miss affair. I think it is quite derogatory towards Lamb to compare him to someone who has been around for one season. And you can't really compare the two unless you've been around long enough to see Lamb at the beginning of his career.

bayrep

Juniors
I think you guys are getting a little ahead of your selves its only been half a season and one notable tackle and you are already writing the guy up as a legend. Stop stroking your egos......well stop stroking something :lol: and come back down to planet earth.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Greenblooded said:
Jason Martin (NEW)

Did Martin start at Newcastle? I though he was from Norths.

:lol: Seriously, I swapped that around 5 or 6 times, Newcastle or Norths ? If anyone can give a definite answer, much appreciated. I have flashbacks of the hit song he put out with the backing of Molly Meldrum and see the Norths jersey for some reason which made me think he started out at Newcastle. I may be wrong.

p.s. Sarchasim to be detected by all when mentioning "hit song".

BuffaloRules

Coach
Look at the following list of one time young talent that were picked to be " the next big thing" by the league media ....

Laurie Daley
Peter Sterling
Brad Clyde
Brad Fittler
Greg Alexander
Paul Sironen
Andrew Johns

And you know something?? They were right.... :lol:

macavity

Referee
Martin was a Newcastle boy who got a start at Norths. He came back to the Knights (was great at Norths...) , only to be cr*ap and sit behind first Rodwell then Johns. He played a while in the local comp after getting cut from the ARL I think.. might have gone to UK/France too.

Was the next big thing at Norths, no-one at Newie really wanted him, but he came back for (comparatively) small change. Think he ended up at hooker in reggies at one stage.

Now lives in Newcastle and makes a living as a singer/songwriter. Dont think he has the killer mullet anymore.

Greenblooded

Juniors
bayrep said:
Greenblooded said:
One notable tackle?? You don't watch many games do you mate :lol:

You havent watched many of the Warriors games have you. Dim a dozen.

Actually mate I live in NZ so I watch every game the warriors play on sky 1. The missed tackles are a dime a dozen not the big hits. :lol:

borat

Bench
SBW has the potential to the best of all time. The skills this guy has at his age is just unbelieiveable. He has got the step and attcking skills of an 18 year old Fittler and the size of Brad Clyde. I look at someone like K Hunt who has big potential but SBW has it all. I honestly don't beleive I have seen a junior with the skills this guy has.

strong_latte

Juniors
lets remember boys that this is his first year... I don't think I need to remind you of how many players have dissapointed after stella first seasons. I'm not bagging him, I'm just saying it's a little early for you all to be saying he's better than Lamb etc...

Anonymous

Juniors
If SBW goes no further except gains experience he'll be a sensation. He will not dissapoint unless he cops some bad injuries. Sonny-Bill is the real deal.

Latest posts