What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scotland start to meet some standards

After playing in the 4N and walking into the WC you'd expect this at very least, but it looks like a four team comp is planned.

Whether it actually happens is another matter.

adamkungl

Immortal
It's a good start that hopefully they can sustain and build upon.

Saw another article yesterday.
4 team comp to start with the above teams.
2 teams playing exhibition games with the aim of competing fully next year.
4 team student comp.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15243395.13_man_rugby_code_set_for_new_Scottish_league/

"Two more teams, Easterhouse Panthers and Bon Accord, will play friendly fixtures with a view to being able to join the competition next season."

"
pressure is mounting on Rugby League Scotland to address that, to the extent that they will no longer be eligible to field an international team following this season’s World Cup unless they can provide evidence that they are developing homegrown talent through a league system.

The game’s ruling bodies have decreed that there has to be league competition involving eight clubs in place for teams to play international matches, but Keith Hogg, chairman of Scotland Rugby League said he was confident they would be able to fulfil those criteria by next season.

“As well as the national league competition which we expect we will be able to expand next year we are close to finalising a competition involving four student teams which should be in place in October,” he explained."

I find it hard to believe there is even a Scotland RL body. Who makes up a governing body of a sport that is virtually non-existent? Essentially their entire operations must be running the national team, which actually seems like a pretty big role for such a small body. I don't even know how they manage to fund the small amount they do. An amateur body with so little resources funding at least a semi pro team with staff and travel etc seems like a big ask. The he likes of Lebanon and Italy would be a bit the same but they might have help from Sydney and in Lebanon's case from government.

Carluke is in Lanarkshire where there has been clubs based before.

I don't know about Strathmore but they were the only other viable club last season, I think. They played a few games against Aberdeen to essentially decide the championship in the absence of the other clubs, which either couldn't raise a team at all or pulled the pin after a game or two.

Latest posts