What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scotland Vs Wales Who will win?

JasonE

Bench
Just saw the 2 teams, on paper if anything the Scotland team looks stronger. Should be another real cliffhanger.

Like most on here i hope Wales win.

Wales (from): Anthony Blackwood (Celtic Crusaders), Andy Bracek (Warrington Wolves), Lee Briers (Warrington Wolves), Phil Cushion (Celtic Crusaders), Geraint Davies (Celtic Crusaders), Hywel Davies (Celtic Crusaders), Gareth Dean (Celtic Crusaders), Luke Dyer (Celtic Crusaders), Grant Epton (Celtic Crusaders), Damien Gibson (Halifax), Dave Halley (Bradford Bulls), Iestyn Harris (Bradford Bulls), Adam Hughes (Oldham), Jordan James (Celtic Crusaders), Matt James (Bradford Bulls), Phil Joseph (Halifax), Craig Kopczak (Bradford Bulls), Mark Lennon (Celtic Crusaders), Sean Penkywicz (Halifax), Bryn Powell (Dewsbury Rams), Robert Roberts (Oldham), Byron Smith (Rochdale Hornets), Aaron Summers (Celtic Crusaders), Ian Webster (Celtic Crusaders)

Scotland (from): Wade Liddell (Easts Tigers), Andy Todd (Edinburgh Eagles), Mick Nanyn (Oldham), Kevin Henderson (Wakefield Trinity), Jamie Benn (Featherstone Rovers), Lee Paterson (Carpentras), Danny Brough (Wakefield Trinity Wildcats), Paul Jackson (Huddersfield Giants), Ben Fisher (Hull KR), Oliver Wilkes (Widnes Vikings), Duncan MacGillivray (Wakefield Trinity Wildcats), Iain Morrison (Hull KR), Mike Wainwright (Leigh Centurions), Andrew Henderson (Castleford Tigers), Neil Lowe (Keighley Cougars), Richard Fletcher (Whitehaven), Iain Marsh (Rochdale Hornets), Richie Hawkyard (Swinton Lions), David Lynn (Edinburgh Eagles), Mark Slatter (Sheffield Hillsborough Hawks).

Scotland do look stronger. I have a bad feeling we're going to have a World Cup without Lebanon and Wales and one with "Ireland" and "Scotland" instead. What a joke. C'mon Wales.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Errrm whats happened to the residence rule? Isn't there ment to be 6 local players in a squad?

I count only 2 locals in the Scotland squad.

roopy

Referee
Sam_the_man said:
Errrm whats happened to the residence rule? Isn't there ment to be 6 local players in a squad?

I count only 2 locals in the Scotland squad.
I can't remember the exact wording, but if they have 4 guys who came up through the local comp before going pro or have played for Scotland as juniors they are sweet i think (added to the two local players mentioned).

roopy said:
I can't remember the exact wording, but if they have 4 guys who came up through the local comp before going pro or have played for Scotland as juniors they are sweet i think (added to the two local players mentioned).
That's right. I assume the bloke who plays for Hillsborough is probably a Scotland A player and a few others must have played at that level or student level too. The stupid thing is you don't have to have ever lived in Scotland to play for Scotland A or students either. The GP rule applies there too. So basically it doesn't necessarily make the team any more Scottish.

JasonE

Bench
The most fascinating thing about this game is the two biggest enigmas in British Rugby League, Briers v Brough will be going head to head and whoever controls the game best will win the game for their team. Will be a beauty.

crimpo

Juniors
I was surprised when I saw the squads yesterday that in terms of background the Scottish squad looks stronger than the Welsh. However, the Welsh have momentum from their 'warm-up' match while the Scots seem to have only picked up injuries from theirs. I think the Welsh will win - but of course they have to win by more than 7.

Until last week I thought the Scots would qualify - now i'm leaning towards the Welsh making it. If not, I think the Welsh will qualify through the repecharge. I doubt the Scots would - I have a feeling its tomorrow or nothing for them.

roughyedspud

Coach
both wales,scotland & ireland qualify via the grandparent rule...........so shut the f**k up...

you lot would'nt be whinging if lebanon had have qualified so shut the f**k up you whinging basturds...........

i tell you what...i lost money on the GB result tonight......i had GB to win by 16-20....

roughyedspud said:
both wales,scotland & ireland qualify via the grandparent rule...........so shut the f**k up...

you lot would'nt be whinging if lebanon had have qualified so shut the f**k up you whinging basturds...........

i tell you what...i lost money on the GB result tonight......i had GB to win by 16-20....
You are drunk.

crimpo said:
Lebanon of course make considerable use of the 'parent' rule...a key distinction :roll:
Forget it. Poms don't seem to understand the difference. Nor do they seem to recognise (or care about) the importance of teams making the WC that will be most beneficial to the tournament and the game as a whole.

ucantseeme

Juniors
The point of WC Qualifiers is so the 10 best teams get to compete against each other in the WC.

Trying to rig the qualifiers so a weaker team makes it in the final 10 because it will, supposedly, be better financially is the joke. If Scotland or USA win the matches they need to to get in then good on them. I want the RLWC to be a competitive tournament, because it will be more interesting to watch and give international RL more credibility. If Lebanon or Wales cannot win the matches they need to qualify then they do not deserve a spot. GP rule or not.

Allowing weak teams in because of perceived financial windfall through gate receipts is pure folly. As it will lead to minnows running up cricket scores against each other which will damage the tournaments credibility.

The same way we all mocked 2003 RUWC when Australia beat Namibia 142-0.

Billythekid

First Grade
ucantseeme said:
Allowing weak teams in because of perceived financial windfall through gate receipts is pure folly. As it will lead to minnows running up cricket scores against each other which will damage the tournaments credibility.

I dont think anyone really wants to rig the WC qualifiers.

Also the teams we are talking about are of almost identical standards so i doubt it will be the difference between close matches and blow outs.

I didn't want Lebanon in cause it would increase crowd numbers. I wanted them in for the potential it would have on their local comp. They are one of the International countries really improving atm so it would have been great for them to make it.

Speaking of credibility. To me if you want the RLWC to be credible you need to have countries fielding teams with as many home grown players as possible. If we have teams coming through with heaps of players from other countries it will make a mockery of our game.

bender

Juniors
Billythekid said:
I dont think anyone really wants to rig the WC qualifiers.
Then why are so many people sulking because their favourite teams dont get in.

Also the teams we are talking about are of almost identical standards so i doubt it will be the difference between close matches and blow outs.
Fair call

I didn't want Lebanon in cause it would increase crowd numbers. I wanted them in for the potential it would have on their local comp. They are one of the International countries really improving atm so it would have been great for them to make it.

Would have been great, but they werent good enough (yet). Here is an interesting concept how about realising that lebanon have already made the world cup and getting behind and promoting their now do or die two match quest to qualify for the next round. Until you start caring about the qualification, the RLWC cannot grow. It will happen but it needs regular qulification for the WC finals and the finals need to become something that is earned and not just given. Personally i think that every 4 years is far too long (should be 3 years) for at least a while. Sides like Wales, ireland, scotland, Samoa, Tonga, etc need to develop local players because it is the only way they can compete and qualify. It will happen eventually, if the game is grown right, but there is a long way to go and artifically giving Lebanon a leg up because they have done some good work is not the best way to do it.

Speaking of credibility. To me if you want the RLWC to be credible you need to have countries fielding teams with as many home grown players as possible. If we have teams coming through with heaps of players from other countries it will make a mockery of our game.

Yeah okay, because a drawn game between Lebanon and ireland which lebanon only lost because of a lack of discipline (and overzealous passion) really lacks credibility. Giving token places to local players does nothing for the development of the game in that area, despite what those on here think. Only hard work and local development combined with promotion of national brand featuring the best eligible players.

brendothejet

First Grade
Bender,

You've asked why people are sulking because their favourite teams didn't get in.

i think you've answered your own question.

crimpo

Juniors
East Coast Tiger said:
Forget it. Poms don't seem to understand the difference.

And once again the poms are right - there is NO meaningful difference. Either in the rules or morally...

crimpo said:
And once again the poms are right - there is NO meaningful difference. Either in the rules or morally...
No difference? You must be joking. There's no difference between the parent rule and grandparent rule? FMD. The poms were so right they turned the 2000 World Cup into the single biggest disaster rugby league has ever seen. But with attitudes like this it's no wonder.

deluded pom?

Coach
East Coast Tiger said:
. The poms were so right they turned the 2000 World Cup into the single biggest disaster rugby league has ever seen. But with attitudes like this it's no wonder.

And the Aussies managed to LOSE money on an event we made a mint on. I'm talking about the TN. ECT are you a Pom in disguise? You do an awful lot of whinging for a fair dinkum Aussie.

Latest posts