What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

scrums .. ?

smoke more pot

Juniors
do poeple actually push in a scrum? .. logical idea i know, but if teams started pushing to try and get the ball back, say after a knock on, took the other team by surprise (scrums are supposed to be contests), then maybe we wouldn't have the 'get together' that they have now ..

any can anyone out there tell me why ref's and the leauge have been lenient on the backrowers breaking away so early? i mean maybe you can have a half penalty idea .. where you can either kick for touch or take a tap, or have another scrum, but not be able to shoot for goal .. like the short arm penalty in union ..

anyway, i just reckon either have them .. and have them properly (as a contest) or don't ..

BJ

Juniors
the scrums these days are just one massive group hug..
why not pip the forward packs of both teams against each other and acctually make it a contest for the ball..
everytime i see a scrum pack down it's a joke..
they all bend over pat each other on the back the ball goes in and comes out and it's all done in 10 seconds..
bit of a push and a shove in there and the team that just lost the ball could very well win the ball back in good position with a set of 6 tackles to go..
it'd be the logicial thing to do..
i hope one coach decideds to train for this over the off season and comes out with a bit of a surprise next season when his team acctually contests the ball in a scrum when defending.. or even on attack they'd get a few extra metres...
the other teams would surely have to follow suit just to combat them..

Hoggy

Bench
pepstar87 said:
Go smoke some more pot.

He asks a good question and this is your remark?

Get a clue.

And re: pushing in scrums, Rodney Howe actually caused a turnover by "playing" at the ball against the Raiders on Sunday where he kept trying to kick it and it caused McLinden to drop it.

DJ Raida

Bench
id really like to see competition in scrums, right now theres no point, you might as well just take the forwards off to one side then let the backs tap and run

League scrums today take less than 10 seconds, at most, it's 5 seconds per completed scrum. Pack down, ball in, ball out, halfback picks it up, runs or passes, pack breaks. It's approximately 1 second per movement.

Wests is Best

Juniors
I am a front rower myself and I can say 90% of the scrums have no push. It looks to be about the same percentage in first grade. Sometimes the team without the feed will try and push the other pack to win the ball, but usually its when things have becaome heated, such as from niggling tactics or even a bad referreeing decision that might of led to the scrum being packed in the first place.
Why don't the defending pack push everytime? I think its a similar thing to why doesn't a defender in a one on one tackle ALWAYS go for the strip?
Another reason behind it is that if you push for the ball everytime the other team has the feed, you can bet that they will do the same back to you. Its better to keep it saved for the 1 time you really need the ball. eg late in the match when your team is behind by a few points.

drake

First Grade
The scary thing is when a pack does put some bollocks in, the ref recalls the scrum and repacks it.
E.g. when the Cowboys won the scrum against a dragons feed, the Ref said "In and out the same tunnel" or some such tripe.
Either make them a contest or get rid of them.

drake said:
The scary thing is when a pack does put some bollocks in, the ref recalls the scrum and repacks it.
E.g. when the Cowboys won the scrum against a dragons feed, the Ref said "In and out the same tunnel" or some such tripe.

Funniest thing thing I heard recently was from Sean 'Bumstead' - "Ok fellas, nice and gentle," or something to that effect.

hrundi99

First Grade
smoke more pot said:
pepstar87 said:
Go smoke some more pot.

already have .. by the way .. your mum says HIgh .. can you remind her that next tuesday night is gang bang night .. i know shes in to it ..

Go eat a packet of Tim Tams douche bag.

drake

First Grade
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
drake said:

Funniest thing thing I heard recently was from Sean 'Bumstead' - "Ok fellas, nice and gentle," or something to that effect.

And we wonder why the Yawnion gits give it to us so much.
I remember playing hooker as a lad for a couple of games and shitting myself before every scrum. Nowadays you'd use it for a bit of a rest.