What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sea Eagles to stop national rugby union comp from using Brookvale

Copa

Bench
go manly!!

http://www.manlydaily.com.au/article/2006/09/09/554_sports.html

THE new national club rugby competition has hit its first major snag, with the Manly Sea Eagles angrily rejecting a plan to stage union matches on Brookvale Oval. :lol:

Manly CEO Grant Mayer was stunned when told last night of the Australian Rugby Union's bid to play some of the northern franchise's matches at his club's home ground.
The controversial eight-team format, which will feature a team comprising players from northside clubs, is due to start next August.
``Is that right? This is the first I've heard of it. I'll have to ring Warringah Council to see whether it's a furphy or reality,'' Mayer said when told of the ARU's plan.
``I find it very, very strange that rugby union would even consider playing there.
``I thought the spiritual home of rugby (on the northern beaches) was Rat Park or Manly Oval.
``Brookvale Oval is a rugby league ground and we wouldn't be in favour of sharing it with another sport. :lol: There is enough wear and tear as it is and we certainly don't need more traffic on it.''
The NSW Rugby Union, on behalf of the ARU, has approached Warringah Council about holding matches at Brookvale Oval next year.
The Sea Eagles hold the lease on the ground and the NSWRU would have to gain approval from Manly to use it. :lol: Rat Park and Manly Oval have both been deemed unusable.

:lol: Can't see any problem with it as long as it doesnt correspond with the NRL. And wouldn't Manly be able to make money by lending (at a charge) the ground to the rugby?

Copa

Bench
Sea Eagle Scuba said:
:lol: Can't see any problem with it as long as it doesnt correspond with the NRL. And wouldn't Manly be able to make money by lending (at a charge) the ground to the rugby?
if you ran the coke company and another company asked you if they could flog their product in your market... you'd probably tell them to get f***.

And Manly will probably do something simliar.. get f*** RU

JW

Coach
Having a new National Club Union team playing out of Brooky would be comparable to staging games from the local Sydney AFL comp at Telstra.

Razor

Coach
Go Manly

Tell them to get stuffed.

Yes they could make money from it, but it's providing the compeition with support. Same reason Coles don't sell Woolworths home brand products and vice versa.

mattyg

Bench
Why the F'k would a union team want to play out of that hole anyway? Brookvale is in major need of an upgrade. There is like 1 toilet in the whole stadium.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Same reason Coles don't sell Woolworths home brand products and vice versa.
Well, no, not really. Coles would probably be more than happy to sell home brand to Woolworths. Since Coles manufactures home brand, it will always sell the products cheaper than Woolworths is capable of doing (since it obtains the product more cheaply than Woolworths can) - for Woolworths to buy from Coles would simply be a waste of their money. It isn't that Coles doesn't want to sell; Woolworths isn't stupid enough to buy.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Never give a competitor a break. And when it comes to Union... Dig the foot in at the same time. I like our new CEO already.

legend

Coach
mattyg said:
Why the F'k would a union team want to play out of that hole anyway? Brookvale is in major need of an upgrade. There is like 1 toilet in the whole stadium.

Since when have Rugby fans cared about toilets and hygiene? Most of them would travel with their collostomy bags anyway.;-)

Copa

Bench
legend said:
Since when have Rugby fans cared about toilets and hygiene? Most of them would travel with their collostomy bags anyway.;-)
I think we need some clarification here... RUGBY UNION fans need collostomy bags....

Razor

Coach
ShadesOfTheSun said:
Well, no, not really. Coles would probably be more than happy to sell home brand to Woolworths. Since Coles manufactures home brand, it will always sell the products cheaper than Woolworths is capable of doing (since it obtains the product more cheaply than Woolworths can) - for Woolworths to buy from Coles would simply be a waste of their money. It isn't that Coles doesn't want to sell; Woolworths isn't stupid enough to buy.

That's exactly what I'm saying

Coles would want their products to be in Woolworths stores and vice versa but neither store wants their competitors products in their stores.

Same Union wants to be at Manlys ground. But Manly doesn't want their competitior at the gound.

So no "No, Not really" as you said. That is exactly waht I said

spider

Coach
They are a self professed sport in a wealth of riches in more ways than just fiscal terms, just ask them - they should build their own ground to pollute with their rugged stench.