What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season ‘22

stryker

First Grade
Where’s your annual New Years resolution?

We can’t run a book on its longevity without it.

And a couple of predictions for us for 2022 wouldn’t hurt either.

View attachment 57115

lol NY resolution is to not give as much of a f**k about Wests Tigers results this year. I don’t respect this group of players so won’t let their efforts get me down too much.

Our forwards are still learning, our defence will likely still be trash and our backline looks weak.
I don’t expect to make the 8 but hope for a strong run home to carry over to 2023 when we will have some good talent joining us.
I will be more watching certain players rather than the whole team.

lol NY resolution is to not give as much of a f**k about Wests Tigers results this year. I don’t respect this group of players so won’t let their efforts get me down too much.

Our forwards are still learning, our defence will likely still be trash and our backline looks weak.
I don’t expect to make the 8 but hope for a strong run home to carry over to 2023 when we will have some good talent joining us.
I will be more watching certain players rather than the whole team.

Certain Players to watch may be:

Laurie- has he learnt to take a big man down?
Steff- the rise and rise of the young monster?
Peachey- will he knuckle down, it’s been awhile.
Hastings- He’s got some dog in him, I disagree he’s going to take longer than a few halves to settle in. He doesn’t like not getting belted. He’s going to shame Brooksy and send him to a clinic.

Doogie will move straight into the halves with Hastings once fit, but as you know, it’s a ginger kind of injury. I’d rather he take the year off than risk 2023, given his stature and overall excellence.

A straight bat from nofo this year. Some of his 2022games where farcical for a sub elite $500ker.

It’s the last hurrah for a quarter of the squad.

I’m also hoping we use the year wisely, blood some kids and I want Tim in the half time talks.

An ominous presence to help Madge too.

There is no war, Madge is already succumbing as the consistency was garbage last season. Hopefully the new staff, big names, will assist.

Last edited:

Fordy20

Juniors
I don't have much hope of us doing any better than last year. I'm interested in seeing how well Hastings and Brooks gel in the early rounds. I'm also mildly interested in seeing what happens with our centres now that Ken and Nofo have both wing positions sewn up. Hopefully we can avoid the spoon again as well.

BrotherJim05

Bench
This year is realistically a try out for who will be our halves combo while we wait for the new recruits to arrive in 2023.

11 players remain unsigned beyond 2022. That’s over our average.

Tommy is one of them, he has a bit of work to do this year, but I think he still has claims.

BrotherJim05

Bench
11 players remain unsigned beyond 2022. That’s over our average.

Tommy is one of them, he has a bit of work to do this year, but I think he still has claims.
Wow, 11 players? I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of player movement mid-year.

I don't really care about winning or losing this year. I just want to see maximum effort and the starting 13 taking shape for 2023.

E.g this is what it looks like so far for 2023:

1. Laurie
2. Nofa
3. *Up for grabs
4. *Up for grabs
5. *Up for grabs
6. Doueihi
7. *Up for grabs
8. Stefano
9. Korosau
10. Twal
11. Papali'i
12. *Up for grabs
13. *Up for grabs

6 key starting spots are completely up for grabs. I just want to see players (like Ken M. for example) stand up and claim their preferred jersey for 2023. If we can get to the end of this year and we are only arguing about who is going to be on the bench then I'm happy

Wow, 11 players? I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of player movement mid-year.

I don't really care about winning or losing this year. I just want to see maximum effort and the starting 13 taking shape for 2023.

E.g this is what it looks like so far for 2023:

1. Laurie
2. Nofa
3. *Up for grabs
4. *Up for grabs
5. *Up for grabs
6. Doueihi
7. *Up for grabs
8. Stefano
9. Korosau
10. Twal
11. Papali'i
12. *Up for grabs
13. *Up for grabs

6 key starting spots are completely up for grabs. I just want to see players (like Ken M. for example) stand up and claim their preferred jersey for 2023. If we can get to the end of this year and we are only arguing about who is going to be on the bench then I'm happy

Good post.

So far as I understand, we usually have an annual turnover of around 20-23% so this 30% plus for 2023 is on the higher side for us.

But say the Dolphins, still about a massive 85% of spots to fill- added and additional spots. A player like Tommy would be a welcome addition, even for depth. So I’m a tad nervous about the player market.

Which ever way we cut it, I think we are still looking to get that extra 16% out of our players across the board, and that’s really up to Madge and new staff.

I’ll speculate and say Tim’s presence alone may going to a lift of 5-7% because he’s already getting into players heads. But he can’t do it all.

You make the point about mid season transfers and this has been rife over the last few years. In fact the Dolphins seem to be dependent on it after a catastrophic recruitment journey so far.

But we are starting to get a feel-good pack with some ambition. We need our second tier to produce something this year. The Blores of the world.

I don’t see any point in keeping Lucy at the moment. He may as well go. Give a kid a chance, even from elsewhere. Someone who wants to have a go.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Apparently the clubs have been told if they lose a player to COVID they can bring anyone in from outside the 30 and it won’t effect the cap.

Considering the TV obligations cancelling/post poning games won’t be an option so there’s a good chance at some stage during the year clubs will be dipping into their nswcup sides. Ours will be one of the stronger ones let’s hoping it’s one small advantage we might have.

Apparently the clubs have been told if they lose a player to COVID they can bring anyone in from outside the 30 and it won’t effect the cap.

Considering the TV obligations cancelling/post poning games won’t be an option so there’s a good chance at some stage during the year clubs will be dipping into their nswcup sides. Ours will be one of the stronger ones let’s hoping it’s one small advantage we might have.

Yes, that’s great news although nswcup is not my strongest suit.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a rule where clubs must use 2 or 3 young players for x game time a year with appropriate dispensations.

Two ex juniors at work, never getting to play first grade, it’s a itch that will never be scratched.

One guy had to be told that his interests might be better served in another career by an former nrl player. And vic, it was said nicely and kindly to him after training when he was in his early 20s.

4 or 5 years later, I still find myself telling him that the elite in nrl is so hard to reach and he is better off as a young professional, relatively free of injuries. He agreed but as you know, he will always have that little doubt.

To his credit, he still loves the game and everything about it. He is even upset for Brailey!

Of interest is that he does think character has a role to play.

Last edited:

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Not expecting much from this season but I hope that the expectations on club, team and individual players is at least 1 spot higher than last year. We will be gelling with some key new players and having greater expectations of playing with effort and as a team. The disarray of last season and tanking that some players did in games is not acceptable and I suspect that in addition to the turnover of players whose contracts end this season, decisions will be made on others that have been around a bit and whether their future is at WT. The opportunity of the Dolphins needing to fill out a 30 man squad will not doubt be both a hindrance and benefit to us in tapping players on the shoulder. AND, also Maguire will be make or break with his performance first half of the season with team selections, performance and results. Reckon thats all he has got to either show he can do it (noting the club stepped in an made changes to his staff and the overall set up of the coaching dept and pathways) or he too will / should be tapped on the shoulder.

Finally, maybe, just maybe we can get some direction from WT club as to the home ground morass. I think the 'toilet block' equivalent that LO got in upgrade funds must surely be causing some reflection in the powers that be for future choice and selection. The nomad roaming just cant go on.

Im looking forward to seeing a better performing team (not necessarily wins) and hope for the way forward. I think and hope Sheens can provide some steel and acumen with the football dept direction. Signs seem to be going that way but there is nothing like the blowtorch of actual competition on the field.

Anyhow, go WT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BrotherJim05

Bench
Is Hastings going to be doing our kicking until Doeuihi is back? His stats when he as at Roosters in 2016 is really good (above 84%) but he been a regular kicker since then.....

TDD91

Juniors
Is Hastings going to be doing our kicking until Doeuihi is back? His stats when he as at Roosters in 2016 is really good (above 84%) but he been a regular kicker since then.....

Didn't kick at all for Wigan the last 2 seasons but did kick 3 drop goals, barely kicked for Salford prior to that.

Tigerm

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2022-wests-tigers-season-preview-michael-maguire-tim-sheens-luke-brooks-jackson-hastings-adam-doueihi-squad/news-story/b29b61f6e4dc38221f7c6c4edad6fdd8
Tigers may have FINALLY found solution to $1.7m mystery. It could end a ‘decade of disaster’

Eamonn Tiernan from Fox Sports
February 7th, 2022 12:54 pm
The Wests Tigers have endured a “decade of disaster” but the club’s only premiership coach - Tim Sheens - has returned and two rugby league legends believe it marks the dawn of a new era.
Benny Elias and Mark Geyer have told foxsports.com.au why they believe 2022 will see a change in fortunes for the Tigers who have not played finals since 2011.
The return of Sheens and some shrewd recruiting has sparked a cautious degree of optimism in Tigerland heading into this season.

There are hopes Sheens will become a football whisperer for the under-pressure duo in coach Michael Maguire and halfback Luke Brooks.

THE TIM SHEENS EFFECT

Sheens famously led the Tigers to their only premiership in 2005 after bringing out the best in a baby-faced Benji Marshall.
Sheens left the club in messy circumstances in 2012 but enough water passed under the bridge and the prodigal son was welcomed back late last year.
The former Kangaroos coach is now the Tigers’ head of performance and he has total power over football operations, with Maguire reporting directly to him.

Elias, who played in two grand finals with the Balmain Tigers in the 1980s, backed the four-time premiership coach to once again have a profound impact on the club.
“Sheensy brings a lot more than just being the legendary coach,” Elias told foxsports.com.au.

“He’s won a premiership at the Wests Tigers, he knew what it took to get to win and hold that cup up in the air, he’s a total professional.
“He brings a lot of experience and finesse which is a great tonic for Madge (Maguire) to reflect on his ability as a coach and to shine.
“Sheensy’s cool, calm, collected way of approaching games, his experience in success and more importantly his experience with adversity and defeat when he was up there with the North Queensland Cowboys.
“He learnt so much up there being in a real rut with his coaching ability and they actually showed him the door.
“That was basically the end of Tim Sheens but we rejuvenated his career in early 2004 and he’s gone from strength to strength.”
Geyer - who played under Sheens at Penrith in the 1980s - echoed the sentiment and said the 71-year-old had already started turning the club around.
“His arrival has put everyone on their toes,” Geyer said.
“He’s very inclusive Timmy, even if you’re an under-20s player or NSW Cup player, you’re considered to be one of the real cogs of the arsenal.

“That’s one thing he’ll bring to Tigerland that they haven’t had in the past, Madge by all account is a very driven coach and that’s fantastic but you’ve also got to have an off button and I think they’ll complement each other beautifully.
“I just see them doing something that might be surprising this year.
“Sheensy doesn’t go to a place if he doesn’t think they’re going to be successful and I think in the back of his mind he knows this club is going to do better than recent years.”

MADGE AND HIS NEW SIDEKICKS

Maguire barely kept his job following a thorough review at the end of last season but his assistant coaches were shown the door.

Ben Gardiner and Nathan Cayless have been appointed his deputies this year and Elias said players have told him the pair have made an immediate impact.
“Madge has been under pressure for the past 18 months and rightfully so because the hard facts of life, especially in sport, is the scoreboard and the scoreboard has not been flattering,” Elias said.
“All I can say is the feedback I’m getting from the inside the camp and they all believe it’s an extraordinary difference to what they’ve been used to in the past few years.
“And that’s no criticism of the coaches that have left but they just seem to have a different dimension in their attitude towards attack and defence, it’s all changed and we needed to change.

“Those two assistants now have been a real breath of fresh air, they’ve changed the dimension and behaviour and with all that changes culture.

“We need to do some extraordinary things. Out of the box things. Because we’ve had a decade of disaster.
“We need to start doing things so differently to what we were doing before because our behaviour and our responses and our performances on the field have not been impressive.”
Geyer compared Maguire to Justin Langer, who controversially parted ways with Cricket Australia over the weekend.
Langer’s undoing was his intense style, which irked some players and eventually saw him leave his post despite recent success.
“They remind me a bit of each other Justin Langer and Madge Maguire, they have the same harsh exterior but deep down they’re just puppy dogs on the inside,” Geyer said.
“If Madge takes the foot off the accelerator by 10kms and lets the car idle a bit then the players will feel that, the players feel everything the coach does.”

LUKE BROOKS

The most scrutinised player in the NRL will once again head into 2022 under the microscope, but things could be different for Brooks this year.
The halfback, who has two years left to run on his $1.7 million deal, copped plenty of criticism during club’s failed 2021 season and he also joined the top 10 list of most games played without a finals appearance.

But he won the club’s player of the year award and remains committed to the Tigers, with two years left on his deal, despite being linked with a move this summer.
Elias believes the key to unlocking Brooks is to simply let him play his natural game.
“You’ve got to get the shackles off him and let him play what he sees and play more fluently,” he said.

“You talk about infectious, Jackson (Hastings) will make him such a great competitor and I think Jackson will do most of the talking and he’ll dominate in the halves and Brooks will be a much better player for it.”
Geyer said the secret to making Brooks reach his potential lay with Sheens - and allowing the 27-year-old to make mistakes.

“Brooks is always under pressure, he’s the whipping boy if they get beaten and he never gets the praise if they win,” Geyer said.
“It was only two or three years ago he was the halfback of the year in the Dally Ms, the kid can play.

“I really like his style of play, he’s tough, he’s tenacious, he’s skilful but I think sometimes he’s scared to try because of fear of failure and that’s where Timmy Sheens will rub that out of him, like he did with Benji back in ‘05, he’ll say ‘Mate you express yourself, I’d rather you fail in trying than fail in doing nothing at all’.
“Don’t lament on what could have been, the only time you should look back is to see how far you’ve come and he’s come a long way since he’s been a kid but he hasn’t made that next step to superstardom and he’s got it in him, he’s just got to have the confidence to go that one step further.
“Timmy Sheens is the perfect tonic for Brooks.”

JACKSON HASTINGS

Hastings played 13 NRL games for the Manly Sea Eagles and 34 for the Roosters - where he debuted in 2014 - before leaving the competition in 2018.
By his own admission, the playmaker had some maturing to do and he’s spent the past three years in the UK with Super League clubs Salford and Wigan.
Hastings won the Man of Steel award after being voted the Super League’s best player in 2019.
But the 25-year-old has returned to Australia for another crack at the NRL and signed a two-year deal with the Tigers.
“I think he’s one of the biggest signings of 2022,” Elias said.

“Jackson Hastings was the best player in England and he got to a grand final. His experience is second to none now and he understands what leadership and winning takes.
“He has a real winning DNA in him now, it makes him a much more positive person and I think that reflects on the team as a whole.
“He can also play 13 or 9 and he’s a great competitor.”

WHERE WILL THE TIGERS FINISH?

“The fish rots from the head, well the head is looking good,” Geyer said.
“They’ve got a great board, they’ve got an administration with Tim Sheens involved, they’ve got a coach who has won a comp before in Madge Maguire and basically this is the year of no more excuses, this is the year they’ve got to put up or shut up.
“They have to make the top eight, they’ve been ninth for the past 12 years it seems like, I think they’ve got to make the top eight for Madge to keep his job.”

Best 17:
1. Daine Laurie
2. David Nofoaluma

3. Oliver Gildart
4. Adam Doueihi
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Jackson Hastings
7. Luke Brooks
8. Stefano Utoikamanu
9. Jacob Liddle
10. James Tamou
11. Luke Garner
12. Luciano Leilua
13. Alex Twal
14. Tyrone Peachey

15. Thomas Mikaele
16. Joe Ofahengaue
17. Kelma Tuilagi
* Adam Doueihi and Tommy Talau are injured to start the year
* Asu Kepaoa is out until mid-season
* Shawn Blore is out for the year
Predicted finish: 8th

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade

‘Look in the mirror’: Tamou reveals Tigers’ brutal honesty sessions after season of turmoil​

Mark St John

Mark St John from Fox Sports@markdfstjohn
February 7th, 2022 11:30 am
Wests Tigers skipper James Tamou has revealed his players have done a lot of brutal and honest soul searching in the wake of their chaotic and disappointing end to last season.
The Tigers finished 13th in 2021 extending their NRL record finals drought to 10 straight seasons as conjecture swirled around coach Michael Maguire and star player Luke Brooks’ futures.
Tamou admitted the big losses and the uncertainty off the field made it a very difficult period for everyone at the club.

“It was a tough end to last year and some of it was tough to watch,” Tamou told Foxsports.com.au.

“But if you look for a silver lining I think we have actually come out of it better. We understand the commitment to each other that is needed whether it is through training or game day.
“We had a young group and the players have grown with another year of experience. We debuted a few young boys last year and they got better with those losses as weird as it sounds because you learn from them.
“I think that has given us inspiration for our pre-season so we can go into 2022 with a bit more of a commitment to each other.”
Maguire copped the lion’s share of the heat for the Tigers’ miserable 2021 campaign to the point he faced the axe before being spared by the board with Tim Sheens brought in.
Tamou has been a vocal supporter of Maguire and believes the onus is on the players to follow the lead of a coach who has achieved the pinnacle of grand final wins in both hemispheres.

“Madge has been Madge, he hasn’t changed too much in how he goes about things,” Tamou said of Maguire.
“We have had to go away as players and take a look in the mirror.
“It is a tough job being a coach. When the team is going good it is the players and when the team is going bad it is the coach. But the coach isn’t the one out there.
“I think that is another big thing we can take away since the off-season is us boys having to take a look in the mirror and understand what’s needed for this team to succeed.
“I know I have done a lot of thinking on what I can do better for the team to see as much improvement as possible.
“Madge has been to the top. He has got the blueprint as to what is needed.
“We have just got to be better in ourselves. We need to show more commitment and to uphold the standards over the course of the season.”
Another driving force behind Tamou and the Tigers’ 2022 campaign is their long-suffering fanbase, who were subjected to some unacceptable blowout losses last season.

“It is massive,” Tamou said of repaying the fans for their loyalty during some lean years.
“I think coming into the side last year we took that all on board that the team hasn’t experienced finals in a long period of time.
“To get into the top eight where they deserve to be and where the fans deserve and know we can be.
“I was watching the finals series and I was just watching it and burning, which is a good thing because you use it as motivation.
“I know some boys are feeling that way as well and not only for ourselves but for the fans as well.
“For that 80 minutes a week they come to the stadiums and bring their jersey and cheer us along and we want to pay them back for that.

“The fans are everything and they are a big reason why we want to take this team to where it deserves to be.”
Another member of the club that cops plenty of criticism is much maligned halfback Brooks and Tamou implored his team to take the heat away form their No.7.
“With Brooksy it is nothing that he is doing wrong I can’t say that enough,” Tamou said.
“We need to help him out on the field.
“I wanted that to be well documented at the end of last year that we have got to be better as a whole rather than just Brooksy.
“Any help Brooksy can get and Jackson Hastings will be a big help there. And we had Jacob Liddle rise up last year.
“We know what a great player Brooks is, but he needs some help to get back to his best.”
Hastings and fellow Wigan signing Oliver Gildart will provide the type of firepower to take the pressure off Brooks and allow him to play to his strengths in 2022.
Tamou noted the almost immediate effect the pair have had since arriving at Concord.
“Hastings and Gildart have made a direct impact on the team,” Tamou said.

“Oliver has made a bit of a name for himself doing well over there and the same thing with Hastings.
“Hastings was a child prodigy coming through and he has kind of had a rough road, but he has learnt from that.
“He has spoken openly about it that he has had trouble with where his head needs to be. He went overseas and did really well over there winning the Man of Steel and took his team to a Grand Final.
“He has got the accolades and now it is up to him to prove it on the big stage now in the NRL.

“He has come in with a lot of things on his mind at a new club, but I think it is good for his sake that he has narrowed it down and just got stuck into the work for what is needed for the team.”
Adam Doueihi’s injury is a big blow for the Tigers who will be without him until mid-season after he was arguably their best player last year.
However in a silver lining it gives Hastings the chance to impress in the halves where he is at his best, but Tamou revealed he has also been tried in another role.
“I think he will start the season at No.6,” Tamou said of Hastings.
“At stages he has found himself in the middle. That is where the game has gone where you need that ball playing forward in the middle to link with the halves.
“But he has played his whole life in the halves and he is a big body too so he can hold himself well.

“Obviously opponents like to throw their big second-rowers at the halves, but he can take care of himself in that regard.
“Adam is obviously a big loss for the start of the season. But he is working hard to get back. We will need them all on the field at some stage. They are too important to us not to have them on the field.”
Meanwhile Tamou is entering the final year of his contract and is yet to decide whether he will play on or retire after the season.
Tamou will be 34 in December and has played 286 NRL games for the Cowboys, Panthers and Tigers since his debut in 2009 as well as 14 Origins for the Blues and 12 Tests for the Kangaroos.

He is set to pass the 300 game mark this season if he can stay injury free and Tamou admits he hasn’t ruled out playing on in 2023.
“I’m getting through pre-season well which is a good sign because pre-season is the toughest part,” Tamou said.
“But I guess we will reassess later in the year. If I had to decide right now I would say yes I will play on.
“But the season holds a lot of turns and ups and downs that you can’t predict so we will see how it goes.
“Obviously it goes on form and I still have to play well to get a new contract. But my first thought is just to play well for the Tigers and go from there.”

Last edited:

Front-Rower

First Grade
Best 17:
1. Daine Laurie
2. David Nofoaluma

3. Oliver Gildart
4. Adam Doueihi
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Jackson Hastings
7. Luke Brooks
8. Stefano Utoikamanu