What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2006!

gregstar

Referee
what's the gut feeling?

seems to me that we'll either crash or crash through.

looking into the past, we could either follow the trend of 1986, 1994 & 2000 where the dissapointment & let down of the previous season was too much.

or we could rebound as we did after 1984. we were robbed & rightfully responded with a dream regular season in 1985 (the end reaked though.)

i haven't the slightest feeling as to how we may fare. usually i have an ok gut feeling prior to the season kickoff but i'm really unsure thus far.

maybe i'm just nervous already which must be some kind of supporting record!

phonetic

Juniors
I think we can expect a solid year, hopefully without the heartache which we experienced early in 05.

I'll be happy for us to finish from 1st - 6th then really hit our top gear when it counts.

The origin period will be testing, but we have 2 byes this year, and some competent experienced back up forwards to fill the void, along with our gun flegg boys.

My prediction.. we'll finish 3rd and do whatever it takes to win the comp.

That's just the optimist in me speaking. It's easy to be optimistic in late January!

I dont think anyone will be able to have a decent feeling, we will have to wait from week to week, especially if the boys keep up their attitude of we take it one game at a time, then it will be purely who's the better team on the day, which could change from week to week, lets just hope they have a decent start (including Charity sheild and trials)

drake

First Grade
I'm not looking forward to this season; my stomach can't handle it. :LOL:

We should have the team to go all the way, but I would still be worried before a game if we were playing Shellharbour Stingrays under 10's.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
It all comes down to injuries. If we lose Baz, Gaz, Bails or any other high profile player for a long period we could be in for a long season. If we get them all on the field all season I can't see them losing too many games.

Hope we can beat Melbourne this season. They are our hoodoo. When was the last time we beat the pri#ks?

If we smash Manly and Bulldogs I will be happy and flog Parra with PJ Marsh the cat getting belted (this time from in front) I will also be happy.

Hope the Charity shield gives us no injuries. Browny should rest them anyway going on the Dragons record of injuries.

Hollywood

Juniors
After lst season, you could never be over confident....you could dominate all year then crash in an important semi final...just like we did last year,that's why i'll never be filled with confidence.

Two lines of thought.......we will struggle after the disappointment of losing the semi last year, or it will make us stronger & more determined.

honestly, I can't see us having a poor year thought, I was looking at the other teams, and on paper, there is no one that comes close to our squad....and I think with a pretty much unchanged line up, they can only be better this year...but injuries are always an IF with us.

I think if we had Matty Head in the semi last year, we would have won the game and prob won the comp, I just feel we missed his presence in the big finals games, someone to step up in the halves if Baz and Hornby were of their game......Matty is a smart little player, I'm just hoping he recovers ok.

I had more confidence in the Dragons at the before 2005 kicked off than I had before any other season. This year the major feeling I have is one of caution.

We have the roster than has more potential for success more than any other side in the comp, and it can be argued this was the case in '04 & '05. So why couldn't we convert this into titles in (at least one of) the two previous seasons??

The Raiders of the late 90/94, and the Broncos of 92,93, converted their awesome rosters into victories. What did they do right that we haven't??

I had wondered whether the "all-star" lineup was actually detrimental more than favourable to us at times. Not that I'd want to lose the gasniers, barretts etc, but teams such as the Dogs in 04, Panthers in 03, Knights in 01 (and indeed Parra 01 - even though they lost the GF) had an even dispersion of superstar players and hard-working "get-the-job-done" first graders. I'd thought our side might have been top-heavy with talent. Seems a bit ridiculous at first, but its a possibility. This Roster has got us to the finals (sometimes in fits & starts) but thats effectively it.

For example, we lost to the Tigers, eventual premiers, in the Major Semi last year.

Compare 1 for 1 opposing players in each line-up, and with an unbiased view choose the better player from each match-up. I'll bet that only 2-3 tigers would get a run in most people's eyes. So why did the Tigers beat us in 2 from 3 matches last year (and it shoulda been 3), and go on to claim the title??

Anyway, I've got no doubt we'll be among the final 4 or so sides left in late September vying for the comp. After that I've got no bloody idea. We SHOULD win, but as for WILL win........

Slippery Morris

First Grade
One of the things that will make a difference to the Dragons compared to other seasons is the draw. They have finally given the Dragons 2 byes when they need it most during the Origin games. If the Dragons can get off to a good start they can then have the luxury of resting the big guns for some matches and make sure they are fresh for the big games. That bye before the finals and then another bye 2 weeks later played a huge role.

Dragons having a good start is the big IF. When was the last time that hapened. 1 win out of the first 6 games is standard practise for the Dragons.

Goldthorpe

Bench
Side from 2005 to 2006
01. Clint Greenshields > Ben Hornby
02. Colin Best
03. Matt Cooper
04. Mark Gasnier
05. Wes Naiqama
06. Trent Barrett
07. Ben Hornby > Matthew Head
08. Luke Bailey
09. Dean Young
10. Jason Ryles
11. Ben Creagh
12. Lance Thompson > Ashton Sims
13. Shaun Timmins

14. Michael Ennis > ?? (I think Dean Young can play 80 mins of Hooker)
15. Justin Poore
16. Michael Henderson
17. Corey Payne

Gains
Sam Isemonger (UK)
Andrew Price (Knights)
Bryson Goodwin (Sharks)
Matt Bickerstaff (Perpignan)
Damon Alley-Tovio (Raiders)
Lagi Setu (Australian Schoolboys RU)

Losses:
Lance Thompson (Sharks)
Michael Ennis (Broncos)
Albert Torrens (Huddersfield)
Willie Manu (Castleford)
Shane Marteene (retired)
Nick Youngquest (Penrith)
Daniel Holdsworth (Bulldogs)
Bryan Norrie (Broncos)

Lance Thompson is the only major loss for us this year.

In losing Thompson, Ennis, Torrens and Manu will test our depth, but Isemonger, Price and Bickerstaff where similar players to their respective clubs.

I’m hoping for a Top 4 finish but will be tough competition with Brisbane, Parramatta, Easts and Manly.

[font=&quot][/font]I think our main concern this year is injuries, if our top 17 play 90% of the year, we will be fine.

[font=&quot]

[/font]

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The good thing about madcat's list is so many players will be playing together for another year. The combos should get just that little bit bit tighter.
As always, injuries are the key.
I've forgotten the last time we had a regular combination in the halves for a whole season. I'd like think this will be year that we see our half back and five-eighth really get to know each other.

Thommo is only major upheaval and I agree we have the players to fill in for Ennis. The rest of those losses are very much par for the course.
Plenty of good young players coming through as well. They're training with the NRL squad and will doubt put pressure on the regular first graders.

Goldthorpe

Bench
Willow said:
The good thing about madcat's list is so many players will be playing together for another year. The combos should get just that little bit bit tighter.
As always, injuries are the key.
I've forgotten the last time we had a regular combination in the halves for a whole season. I'd like think this will be year that we see our half back and five-eighth really get to know each other.

Thommo is only major upheaval and I agree we have the players to fill in for Ennis. The rest of those losses are very much par for the course.
Plenty of good young players coming through as well. They're training with the NRL squad and will doubt put pressure on the regular first graders.

I noticed we have Ashton Sims*, Ben Creagh*, Ben Hornby, Dean Young*, Jason Ryles, Luke Bailey, Mark Gasnier, Matt Cooper and Trent Barrett in the Australian rugby league squad. The one's with *'s are what this is season is about.
The development of our youth. Ashton Sims turning 21 this year, Ben Creagh turning 21 this year and Dean Young turning 23 this year and for them to attend the ARL squad will hopefully bring out confidence and that can be transferred into the NRL Season for the Dragons.

You can also add Justin Poore (21), Corey Payne (22) and Michael Henderson (22) into the mix as well.

We have a good blend of quality youth and exprience this season, all we need is consistent comination and we will do alright.

Collateral

Coach
I would be happy with another season like the last one, but a bit better in the finals this time. Im looking foward to the new second row also. Lots of good young juniors coming through (as usual) and the return of Matt Head make me feel confident. So as usual we have the team to easily win the Premiership.

Latest posts