What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2014

Where does this season rate for you as a supporter? For me, it is on par with 1994 (Balmain) and 2001 as the worst in memory. We've had seasons where we've won fewer games (2003, 2013) but individual performances during those seasons promised brighter times ahead. We all knew that the board was highly dysfunctional but the coaching saga has exposed just how divided the club remains and it has cast doubts overthe long term viability of the merger. What's more, the complete capitulation of the side over the last month is like nothing I've seen before. Our injury toll aside, we have representative players and future 'stars' showing no passion or commitment. Based on our abject performances you could easily forget that only a month ago we were a real chance of making the top 8.

Perhaps the most depressing part of supporting the tigers is knowing that all the promising juniors in the world won't change our plight. Each year we boast the NSW u/18 gun fullback, the greatest secondrower to come out of NZ, 8 of the Keebra Park team that won every game by a combined aggregate of 1000-56. If only one of those guys goes on to play for City I consider it a success. Meanwhile, the likes of Manly run out the shitest junior teams but without fail unveil a superstar or two per season.

Tiger05

First Grade
I don't see it anywhere near like what you state. I see us making some poor decisions and some good ones.

I think getting rid of Marshall (a great player for us) and Sheens (a great coach for us) as being the right decisions however I see buying players like Anasta & Richards as being really bad decisions. I think if we get the recruitment and retention right we will do a lot better over the next couple of years.

As for this season. I think we have done about what we expected but we are finishing playing terrible footy and that is simply poor.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I just can't get over the roller coaster week last month.

Going from spanking the competition leading Dogs and dreams of making a late run to the finals, to an absolute shyte storm involving the coach, captain and off field management on the eve of the following game.

Only the Wests Tigers could have a week like that...

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
7 days
2 losses
Combined scoreline of 112-10

Who is the defence coach? They've made Royce look like a genius

Vic Mackey

Referee
Up until the dragons game it had been a fantastic year riddled by injuries but with a stack of positives. We should have been the launching pad for a top 4 finish in 2015. This has all gone to shit.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
The collapse after the Bulldogs game has been among the worst I can remember. The way we gave dropped our bundle is pathetic. Before that I think we were doing quite well.

Tigerm

First Grade
The collapse after the Bulldogs game has been among the worst I can remember. The way we gave dropped our bundle is pathetic. Before that I think we were doing quite well.

Probably the best piece of journalism I've read about this whole sorry state of affairs.

But also highlights how depressing it is to support this club. Like I mentioned in another thread, it's hard to put aside the feeling that we are doomed.

Make your mind up Hybrid, you are having an eachway bet.

While I agree the results of the last 3 games are terrible, you don't feel injuries were apart of the issue? There is a reason why some of the team are in second grade.... they are not up to first grade standards. We were always going to be on a hiding to nothing.

Time for another cleanout, including the coach, that's all.

Tiger05

First Grade

I don't think we need a massive cleanout however we need some adjustments. I also think Potter will have to go because we have fallen apart this season and some of his recent decisions have been poor. Slow players being played in the centres and on the wings plus they have been caught out. Letting Koro go just kills me. He is exactly the sort of player that we need.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The assistant coaches white anting Potter is a large factor here.

Whoever the dumb merkin assistant coach is that thinks losing a sure fire way of getting the coach sacked will enhance their chance of taking over is so f**ked in the head it defies belief.

Contributing to success means chance of promotion
Contributing to failure is not the same.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Make your mind up Hybrid, you are having an eachway bet.

While I agree the results of the last 3 games are terrible, you don't feel injuries were apart of the issue? There is a reason why some of the team are in second grade.... they are not up to first grade standards. We were always going to be on a hiding to nothing.

And what makes you think next year will be any different in regards to injuries? We have had the worst injury toll of any club for the past five years. You think next season we will magically have no injuries?

Of course injuries are part of the reason we have slumped, but sorry, it is not an excuse for conceding over 100 points in two weeks. The last two weeks have been disgraceful, injuries or not. The fact is that many players are just not putting in and that is not acceptable.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 5 worst back to back losses (by points differential) since 1908
1. Canterbury (1935) -165 Lost 91-6 v St George & 87-7 v Easts
2. Wests Tigers (2004) -106 Lost 50-0 v St George-Illawarra & 56-0 v Easts
3. Wests Tigers (2001) - 104 Lost 56-6 v Newcastle & 66-12 v Parramatta
4. Canterbury (2005) -104 Lost 56-4 v Parramatta & 54-2 v Wests Tigers
5. Wests Tigers (2014) -102 Lost 64-6 v North Queensland & 48-4 v Easts

Last night we created just the 7th occasion in Australian First Grade Rugby League history for a team to have a points differential of -100 or more over back to back games

The other two are
6. North Queensland (1996) -100 Lost 66-10 v Canberra & 58-14 v Brisbane
7. Souths (2002) -100 Lost 50-4 v Wests Tigers & 54-0 v Parramatta

Not even the Magpies of 1998 & 1999 managed to have a points differential of -100 or more in 2 successive games