1. Out Now: The Front Row rugby league magazine

LeagueUnlimited.com is proud to launch a brand new weekly publication to accompany your footy weekend.

This week we have a special feature on how fans of fantasy footy survived the lockdown period between March and June thanks to Joshua Wells - he speaks to Jamie from NRLCEO Fantasy.

EDITION 7 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Season 2020 COVID-19 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by Tooooks, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Tooooks

Tooooks Juniors

With current modelling suggesting Covid 19 will peak in August, I reckon it’s inevitable this season will be cancelled. I just can’t see how they can possibly continue.

This whole situation is surreal.

2. Gary Gutful

Gary Gutful Immortal

Tend to agree.

3. Tooooks

Tooooks Juniors

I’ve never wished more to be wrong but I just can’t see how it can be done. It’s such a let down but there are more important things to worry about than footy.

4. Gronk

Gronk Moderator Staff Member

So all the scoops in the media were just guessing. NRL is taking this fluid situation day by day, hour by hour.

5. Gronk

My gut feel is that the winter will be the top of the curve. They will go with a magic round or two and it may be suspended in june or july.

6. Cumberland Eel

Cumberland Eel Juniors

No way it makes it that long imo the game will be lucky to see April.

Mr Parramatta likes this.
  7. Soto

Soto Juniors

So with NZ implementing their restrictions effectively tonight does everything resume back to normal after 2 weeks?
    Problem we have is if 1 player tests positive then the whole comp will stop.
    So should the comp stop now for 3-4 weeks, (2 weeks isolation + 1-2 weeks pre-season again) so we can have at least a 20 round competition?
    How about playing the full comp if/when it resumes as a stoppage it seems is inevitable and playing Origin after the season ends for this year only?
    I'd rather no stoppage but the government will ultimately have the final say here...

8. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

All my work next week has been cancelled due to the site being shut.

9. Gronk

The Attorney General, Christian Porter, said on Friday that casual and self employed merkins “have already made provisions” for time without work and will not be getting hand outs by the government. :rolleyes:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...help-for-casual-workers-in-coronavirus-crisis

I still need to pay staff and if business stalls, it will come out of my pocket.

10. Twizzle

Twizzle Administrator Staff Member

I really dont get this 14 day quarantine stuff, its OK if you already have the virus but shutting the country down assumes everyone got it on day 1 and recovered by day 14

there will be various stages of exposure and contamination and it may slow the spread, and if thats what its about then fair enough, but its not a solution to the problem

Soto likes this.
  11. Twizzle

12. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

Yeah but let's say we enforce a 14 day quarantine from tomorrow, for the sake of discussion.

14 days allows pretty much everyone (bar asymptomatic carriers) to develop symptoms. It gives a much clearer picture and allows the virus to develop in quarantine and cases to be treated in isolation.

It won't stop the virus getting out entirely of course, but it will absolutely stop it getting the way it did in Italy. Although there are other factors at play there too.

The virus doesn't like warm weather much. If they were serious about heading it off, then a shut down is exactly what they would do right now, before winter hits.

Noise, hindy111 and Soto like this.
  13. Twizzle

14. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

Your in a vulnerable position. I am solo so it isn't as bad. I wont collect money but also won't be in negative.

15. TheParraboy

TheParraboy Moderator Staff Member

Gut feeling after rd 2, they will look to relocate the whole comp to one location
    Darwin or Townsville, warmer climate over winter

16. Noise

Noise Coach

Slowing the spread is exactly what it’s about. They don’t want the health system clogged all at once like what happened in Italy.

hindy111 and TheParraboy like this.
  17. Noise

Noise Coach

That’s more my wishful thinking. My realistic feeling is it will shut down after next week.

18. Twizzle

19. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

Phil Gould believes it is only a matter of time before the NRL has to postpone the competition due to the coronavirus crisis, following the lead of a number of other sporting codes worldwide.
    “I imagine the NRL will attempt to base the Warriors here in Sydney. Play their home games here as well,” Gould tweeted on Saturday night.

“But I don’t think anyone will be playing in a fortnight. This comp could be over before it starts. Such a shame. But we just have to suck it up and deal with it. Life goes on.”

20. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal