1. Out Now: The Front Row rugby league magazine

LeagueUnlimited.com is proud to launch a brand new weekly publication to accompany your footy weekend.

This week we have a special feature on how fans of fantasy footy survived the lockdown period between March and June thanks to Joshua Wells - he speaks to Jamie from NRLCEO Fantasy.

EDITION 7 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Season 2020 COVID-19 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by Tooooks, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Gary Gutful

Gary Gutful Immortal

What's your take on Q&A?

I could be wrong but I've got you pigeonholed as an eminently sensible, slightly left of centre fellow. I'd say the same of myself, except that I am slightly right (and not sensible).

I wonder whether Q&A is starting to alienate the moderates with their agenda driven bullshit? No different to the lunatics on Sky News IMO.

2. Barry O'Speedwagon

Barry O'Speedwagon Coach

I don't watch much of it (and I don't watch much current affairs / news TV in general these days). I think the new host (the Hamish guy) seems pretty sensible. The crowd is usually comprised of f**kwits of all varieties. I'm socially a little left of centre, but economically a bit right of centre (which is I guess a contradiction as you can't separate the 2). I'm basically a small 'l' liberal.

One thing I do believe though is that there's quite a difference between naive enthusiasm for world peace and equality, and nasty self-interested cynicism. One represents a far greater danger to society.

3. Poupou Escobar

Poupou Escobar Post Whore

Call me a nasty cynic, but I'm convinced the former is just the latter all dressed up in moral highground.

Gary Gutful likes this.
  4. Gronk

Gronk Moderator Staff Member

Nasty cynic !

Gary Gutful and Poupou Escobar like this.
  5. Hollywood Jesus

Hollywood Jesus Coach

Looks like there may have been a mutation in March that has made the virus more infectious:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.12.148726v1

Short version, residue 614 has switched to glycine, meaning when there is cleavage by furin the S1 doesn't shed and so the fold is more successful and, as a result, more spike proteins are created, allowing the virus to infect cells more regularly. Figure 2 shows that it may be as much as nine times more infectious.

Not sure if the mutation has made its way to Australia, though, as we have decent border closure. I've heard of this being a problem in New York state and New Jersey, though. Just wonder if any of those stupid Victorians were returning from the US...?

6. Gronk

My daughter is knee deep in a med degree and she tells me that every virus mutates. That’s how they roll. In particular RNA viruses which SARS Cov2 is one. Science is therefore not spooked by the mutation because it is expected. Greater infectivity usually comes with lower effectivity. This can be observed apparently by the lowering mortality rate. The mutation for this virus is slow and inefficient for a virus and the mutated version is not far off the original. Again, this is the normal life cycle of a virus.

She reckons there are a dozen versions of Cov19 however there is no evidence that any version is worse than the other. The real issue with mutations is second infections, even with the presence of antibodies from the dominant strain.

“It’s very complicated Dad” which is daughter speak for stay in you lane old man, science has got this.

strider likes this.
  7. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

So your taking advice from someone studying to be a doctor who has no experience?

But give no credit to HJ who is using advice of medical experts of 40yrs.

8. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

Do you think there will be a war? ScoMo is getting some new beauty long range rockets. There is tension and they are worried imo.

9. I'm a loser baby...

I'm a loser baby... Referee

You mean the mutation was why it took off in New York and New Jersey or they have a new problem?

10. I'm a loser baby...

Hey, now would be a good time for the Sweden Report. It looks like people have stopped dying there.

11. Twizzle

Twizzle Administrator Staff Member

I think there have been more than one mutation, from what I have read there have been mutations in Europe, America and China

12. Gronk

My daughter is way more sassy than HJ.

13. Gronk

Virus mutates is not stop press news. They do it to survive. It's literally how SARS COV2 evolved itself from another strain.

14. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

It has nothing to do with your daughter. It is more who you chose to beleive and not to beleive.

15. I'm a loser baby...

Yes I know they mutate. I was asking if the more infectious strain is what they had in NY and New Jersey.

hindy111 likes this.
  16. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

Everything mutates. Even the human race

17. Gronk

More infectious is part the evolution, however most become less effective. Who knows, there might be some mutations of this puppy that manage to amp up their effectiveness ?

IIRC is part of the second wave prediction. But really we should not be using USA as a case study simply because its population are not doing as they are told and are on the whole behaving erratically. Which is very hard for science to use their data for modelling.

18. Gronk

Even the BA haters.

19. Gronk

I before e except after c.

You're right - sorry. I should have consulted you before I posted. I mean who is more trustworthy for med science advice ?

[​IMG] upload_2020-7-1_8-35-20.jpeg

20. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

I would only take opinions from people who have been in the field for 10+ years. Like a very close mate of mine who has completed his PhD in gene development and his partner a qualified Doctor. Both who seem to have less knowledge of this virus then your daughter and suggest best to keep an open mind about it at present as not enough is known.
    And with these opinions I would only keep them as that. They are not facts and I only base things on facts.

You have also somehow assumed that a younger and attractive version of the human species is more knowledable then an overweight and older one. So there opinion carries more weight.
    I suggest watching less American TV. It has rotted your perception and processing of information in a negative way.

Or carry on and be A good little Sheeple