Season 2020 COVID-19 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by Tooooks, Mar 15, 2020.

1. I'm a loser baby...

I'm a loser baby... Immortal

Load of nonsense. Go and have a look at the pdf yourself, specifically the bit about child hospitalization.

2. I'm a loser baby...

Flu seasons vary in severity, however every year children are at risk
    • CDC estimates that since 2010, flu-related hospitalizations among children younger than 5 years old have ranged from 7,000 to 26,000 in the United States.
    • While relatively rare, some children die from flu each year. Since 2004-2005, flu-related deaths in children reported to CDC during regular flu seasons have ranged from 37 to 187 deaths. Even though the reported number of deaths during the 2017-2018 flu season was 187, CDC’s mathematical models that account for the underreporting of flu-related deaths in children estimate the actual number was closer to 600.
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/highrisk/children.htm

3. Gronk

Gronk Moderator Staff Member

I did. It says that 86 kids died of the covid.

The thing is there will be a lot of minimization going on about these statistics. Shit about that the kids were sick anyway or that kids die of the flu.

No outrage about this. No outrage about the 160,000 deaths so far in the USA.

I put to you that if ISIS were killing people in the USA at a rate of 1000 per day and in particular that they shot 86 kids they would be fired up because brown muslims. But the covid, well that's well within their tolerances. Why ?

upload_2020-8-12_11-11-6.jpeg

4. Gronk

There you go. I'm f**king clairvoyant.

5. I'm a loser baby...

Get your calculator out and work out which number is higher, 86 or 187.

6. Gronk

I get it mate. Situation normal.

[​IMG]

7. I'm a loser baby...

All I've done is provide context for your sensationalist claims about kids and Covid-19. I'm not surprised you choose to ignore inconvenient facts.

8. Gronk

I think we just need more energy healing from the Starship.

9. Gronk

Sensationalist claims vs minimization. Hello - welcome to the rational center. I'm ready to take your questions.

10. I'm a loser baby...

OK, why post a tweet claiming that 8.9% of children with the virus are being hospitalized, when if you looked at the pdf and the overall data you'd know that the current rate is 2% and continuing to trend down?

11. Gronk

Hi, thanks for your question.

Perhaps you might enjoy this report. Unfortunately data has not been collected for very long, so findings are not complete.

Hospitalization Rates and Characteristics of Children Aged <18 Years Hospitalized with Laboratory-Confirmed COVID-19 — COVID-NET, 14 States, March 1–July 25, 2020
    Early Release / August 7, 2020 / 69

Summary
    What is already known about this topic?

Most reported SARS-CoV-2 infections in children aged <18 years are asymptomatic or mild. Less is known about severe COVID-19 in children requiring hospitalization.

What is added by this report?

Analysis of pediatric COVID-19 hospitalization data from 14 states found that although the cumulative rate of COVID-19–associated hospitalization among children (8.0 per 100,000 population) is low compared with that in adults (164.5), one in three hospitalized children was admitted to an intensive care unit.

What are the implications for public health practice?

Children are at risk for severe COVID-19. Public health authorities and clinicians should continue to track pediatric SARS-CoV-2 infections. Reinforcement of prevention efforts is essential in congregate settings that serve children, including childcare centers and schools.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6932e3.htm?s

12. TheParraboy

TheParraboy Moderator Staff Member

Jesus

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/brisba...land-pub/c7ee72c7-da83-479c-a3cc-ec0700fcb66a

Up to 10 Brisbane Broncos players reportedly caught in NRL biosecurity breach at pub

Up to 10 Brisbane Broncos players have reportedly been caught in a massive biosecurity breach that could derail the NRL season

The Courier Mail reported that police are investigating a group of Broncos - including Tevita Pangai Jr, who is on the brink of being sacked for a separate breach - for gathering at Everton Park Hotel earlier this month.

Such a meeting would be a breach of the NRL's biosecurity agreement with Queensland Health. Queensland premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has already warned that the NRL her tolerance is wearing thin after a string of infringements.

Palaszczuk said just two days ago: "I will be reminding the NRL the future of the season is in their hands. Everyone has to do the right thing. Nothing is more important than protecting the health of Queenslanders."

13. I'm a loser baby...

So 0.008% of children have been hospitalized. Interesting. And you didn't answer the question.

14. Gronk

Yes but did you analyse the data ? You should and in particular to those kids who are Hispanic and African american.

People have a tendency to “cherry-pick” arguments or claims that align with their system of beliefs while ignoring information that counters their position, even if it is consensus information.

We should all be cognizant of our biases, fears, desires, and ideologies. They fundamentally shape us. However, we should not let them override the fundamentals of sound science analysis and data assessment. Stay safe. Wear a mask.

15. I'm a loser baby...

You said you were ready to take questions but you didn't say anything about answering them. Well done.

16. Gronk

Do you think that you tend to have a confirmation bias about the covid ? Do you go searching for information that supports your views ? Maybe you need some balance.

I recommend the podcast by Dr Norman Swan.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/coronacast/

He's a smart guy and explains all things about the covid in layman's terms.

[​IMG]

17. Gronk

There's covid at Parra Westfields !

18. I'm a loser baby...

That's still not an answer.

19. Gronk

An answer to what ? Something about a tweet ?

20. I'm a loser baby...

I only asked one question and you're been avoiding answering since then by posting a bunch of twaddle.