What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2021

Tigerm

First Grade
OFF-CONTRACT PLAYERS AT THE END OF 2020 BY POSITION

FULLBACK: Brendan Elliot, Albert Hopoate, Nicho Hynes, Caleb Aekins, Charlie Staines, Glenn McGrady, Alex Johnston, Dylan Smith

WINGER: Michael Oldfield, Jordan Rapana, Marcelo Montoya, Sione Katoa, Sandor Earl, Isaac Lumelume, Tyronne Roberts-Davis, Patrick Herbert, George Jennings, Braydon McGrady, Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, Young Tonumaipea, Brett Morris, Selestino Ravutaumada, Abbas Miski, Andre Niko, Richie Kennar, Ilikena Vudogo, Robert Jennings

CENTRE: Kerrod Holland, Tim Lafai, Isiaah Tass, Dale Copley, Marion Seve, Tautau Moga, Gerard Beale, Peta Hiku, Tom Opacic, David Russell, Brad Takairangi, Braydon McGrady, Cory Denniss, Steven Marsters, Josh Morris, Watson Heleta, Kea Pere, Ioane Seiuli, Jackson Ferris, Matthew Timoko, Jordan Kahu

FIVE-EIGHTH: Jack Cogger, Kieran Foran, Mason Lino, Benji Marshall, Connor Watson, Adam Keighran, Jaeman Salmon, Will Smith, Dean Blore, Tyrone May, Drew Hutchinson, Jordan Rankin, Jarrett Jubloo, Tyson Gamble, Tristan Sailor

HALFBACK: Braydon Trindall, Tyrone Roberts, Luke Metcalf, Cooper Johns, Jai Field, Lachlan Lam, Jack A Williams, Sean O’Sullivan, Benji Marshall

PROP: Sia Soliola, Sauaso Sue, Aiden Tolman, Shannon Boyd, Keegan Hipgrave, Max King, Darryn Schonig, Christian Welch, Josh King, Lachlan Burr, Leivaha Pulu, John Asiata, David Gower, Peni Terepo, James Tamou, Kaide Ellis, Tom Amone, Kurt Dillon, Ky Rodwell, Garrett Smith, Matt Croker, Dan Vasquez, Toby Rudolf, Rhys Kennedy, Oliver Clark

HOOKER: Tom Starling, Cameron King, Nathan Peats, Danny Levi, Cameron Smith, Connor Watson, Nathaniel Roache, Reuben Cotter, Rhyse Davies, Ray Stone, Joe Lovodua, Jake Friend, Freddy Lussick, Kyle Schneider, Luke Huth, Chris Randall, Kobe Hethrington

SECOND ROW: Kayleb Milne, Kevin Proctor, Sam Stone, Corey Waddell, Tony Williams, Aidan Guerra, Brodie Jones, Isaiah Papali’i, Andrew Davey, Brad Takairangi, Pat Hollis, Bailey Sironen, Jack Johns, Luca Moretti, Chris Lewis, Kelma Tuilagi, Kai O’Donnell, Pride Petterson-Robati, Jamil Hopoate, Ben Te’o, Sam McIntyre, Chris McQueen

LOCK: Scott Sorensen, Josh Carr, Tom Eisenhuth, Elijah Taylor

Perth Tiger

Bench
There is some decent value there, problem is trying to pick the diamonds out of the turds, we normally come away with a handful of shit.

but off the top of my head Trindall from the sharks and Lumelume looked good in their 3rd and 1st game respectively over the weekend.

simmo1

First Grade
Forget 99% of the list as it is middle of the road talent who will not take their game to another level just by changing clubs.

Focus on the promising juniors on that list - I like the look of Nicho Hynes & Charlie Staines - and keep some cash (f we have any) in hand to land a big signing when they inevitably come along.

Tiger05

First Grade
I don't think Madge has been too tough on them anyway. The article states the players biggest issue with Madge was too many team changes. Were there really too many team changes ? I don't think so.

stryker

First Grade
Fkn bunch of sooks.
How about you have a go, then you won’t have to worry about being dropped.
How did we end up with so many princesses playing here?
Maybe we should look outside of Sydney for a while.

Front-Rower

First Grade
I don't think Madge has been too tough on them anyway. The article states the players biggest issue with Madge was too many team changes. Were there really too many team changes ? I don't think so.

These blokes are first grade footballers. They get the crap beat out of them every week though have a whinge that the coach yells at them.

Though all it takes is one bad apple and I think that apple’s been cut from the tree..

Tiger05

First Grade
Though all it takes is one bad apple and I think that apple’s been cut from the tree..

I hope it wasn't Benji and I definitely didn't get that impression from him. I have no idea why though he wants to play another year. He was good for us in his second stint here but it's time to move on. This year hasn't been anywhere near his best.

Wizardman

First Grade
I hope it wasn't Benji and I definitely didn't get that impression from him. I have no idea why though he wants to play another year. He was good for us in his second stint here but it's time to move on. This year hasn't been anywhere near his best.
Benji is not the major reason why we are in this state but he is part of the problem. He has been pretty decent but there are two big issues with him. 1) Defence and 2) Lack of speed when going to the defensive line.
Neither of these will improve over an offseason. Plus, purely on age alone, will be less durable going forwards into another season. Im gl;ad he came back and he has had his moments. But, now is the time to go.

Tigerm

First Grade
I’m OK with Benji not getting a new contract, it’s time everyone moves on. The papers are being hysterical about it all. But I really hope we don’t consider another older player (like Foran) to fill the space, I don’t think we will, as has been mentioned we have a lot of options already.
His money buys a hard head forward to go with the kids we have or helps pay for a classy back (hopefully JAC) to give us some speed.
I guess short term success won’t be coming, so hopefully we do a Penrith and build a team for the long term future.
On this I trust Madge and his team to get it done.

Fordy20

Juniors
I’m OK with Benji not getting a new contract, it’s time everyone moves on. The papers are being hysterical about it all. But I really hope we don’t consider another older player (like Foran) to fill the space, I don’t think we will, as has been mentioned we have a lot of options already.
His money buys a hard head forward to go with the kids we have or helps pay for a classy back (hopefully JAC) to give us some speed.
I guess short term success won’t be coming, so hopefully we do a Penrith and build a team for the long term future.
On this I trust Madge and his team to get it done.

Spot on. It was like @Front-Rower was saying in the Coach or Players thread. We didn't have the success that we probably should have had while Marshall was in his prime, which is not to say that it's his fault, but more that he's had is time in the sun and we can't go into next season building a team around him to try and win a competition. We need to build for sustainable success and unfortunately due to our shitty cap situation, we can't afford to re-sign him as a player.

BrotherJim05

Bench
2021:

1. JAC (he's coming)
2. Nofa
3. Talau/BJ
4. Mbye (co-captain)
5. Kepoa/Talau
6. AD
7. Brooks
8. Aloai
9. Liddle (potentially Grant but unlikely)
10. Tamoa (co-captain)
11. Garner/McIntyre
12. Luciano
13. Twal

14. Mikale
15. Musgrove/Stefano
16. Blore/Garner/McIntyre
17. Reynolds (Liddle if Grant stays)

Still a lot of competition for spots which will keep players hungry (or whinging knowing WT).

I still don't think we will make the 8 in 2021, but I really feel like at some point everything will click and we will begin to see the beginning of what will truly be Madge's Wests Tigers --- more importantly, we will see where the missing pieces of the puzzle are, and with Packer/Reynolds contracts coming to an end we will have 1.5 million to plug those holes.

Tiger05

First Grade
I have no idea how the team will end up but I'd go with the following:-

Backline:-

1. JAC (I hope he is coming)
2. Nofa
3. Talau
4. BJ
5. Kepoa
6. AD
7. Brooks

I reckon that is the best backline we can put on the park. Maybe Mbye will be more consistent than Talau but I'd play Mbye off the bench. Mbye is a decent first grader in a number of positions and he can definitely give Liddle a spell and he is going to need it.

Pack:-

8. Josh Aloiai
9. Jacob Liddle
10. James Tamou
11. Luciano Leilua
12. Sean Blore
13. Alex Twal

14. Moses Mbye
15, 16 & 17 3 props out of:- Zane Musgrove, Sam McIntyre, Stefano Utoikamanu, Russell Packer, Alex Seyfarth, Thomas Mikaele

The bench to me should be one utility/hooker spot. I'd go with Mbye and then Walters. Blore to hopefully fill an edge backrow spot.

We need to hold on our own in the pack and the problem is LL and Blore won't get many spells which is going to hurt them. Hopefully those middles and the 3 bench players can do the job. Maybe you play McIntyre off the bench because he call fill in on an edge as well.

I hope that spine is good enough to win us some games but time will tell.

Last edited:

Shredder

Juniors
If JAC doesnt come to us, I think we are going to have Mbye at 1 again.

Hot and cold, but with a full pre season who knows.

Not confident for next year at all.

Tiger05

First Grade
We need heaps to go right next year:-

1. JAC or Mbye to perform at fullback
2. AD and Brooks to perform in the halves.
3. Assuming Grant goes Liddle and Mbye/Walters to perform at hooker.
4. Blore to step up on that right edge.
5. Aloiai to get some support. Hopefully Tamou helps out, Twal regains some form and the bench forwards come on.

I think we are improving and the team is heading in the right direction but the coaching staff have a tough ask next year.

Tigerm

First Grade
We need heaps to go right next year:-

1. JAC or Mbye to perform at fullback
2. AD and Brooks to perform in the halves.
3. Assuming Grant goes Liddle and Mbye/Walters to perform at hooker.
4. Blore to step up on that right edge.
5. Aloiai to get some support. Hopefully Tamou helps out, Twal regains some form and the bench forwards come on.

I think we are improving and the team is heading in the right direction but the coaching staff have a tough ask next year.
Isn’t Reynolds playing next year?

Tiger05

First Grade
Isn’t Reynolds playing next year?

I can't pick him. He might get a chance in the halves or as a utility player but I suspect only with injuries. The club has tried to get rid of him and he refuses to go so what do you do. If he had the ability to fill role somewhere I'd definitely play him. Maybe he will turn his game around but I can't see it happening.