What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2022 Premiers ?

BLM01

First Grade
I don't agree with what Alfie said, just celebrate your victory, no need to involve the other team. What Willie said I have no issue that's banter on the park and as a first grade player they should have given it to Willie to prove him wrong. At least he was man enough to say it to their faces on the field. Not behind some microphone in your leagues club. And for Geyer to come out and say people should not be offended and it was the alcohol talking, well plenty of other teams have won GFs and their players have celebrated and you didn't see them belittle the losing side.
That you are aware of or has not been reported is more to the point.
Have alook at the Newcastle celebrations in 2001 when they beat Parra.
If Parra a good enough they can get retribution next year on field too (but save it for the final series)
It is all part of the tribalism (via supporters) that we talk about that has almost been extinguished.
Penrith have it in spades ATM.
Why nowadays do players have to be sterotyped almost robotic humble and perfect in every way.
The game is sanitised enough, just my take. Agree to disagree

Last edited:

Hard Yards

Juniors
They're proof of how to get things right. Just compare Leagues clubs as one example. Sadly ours is an embarrassment by comparison. It used to be the best in the land. Clearly it's a much better run establishment. We could have the same if we had a visionary BOD. We have a famous brand and broad supporter base. It's such a shame.
Unfortunately there is simply no resemblance between the demographic of the greater Kogarah catchment and that of past decades, Penrith Leagues is situated in the middle of league heartland now, the Taj sits amongst a completely different group today, fewer and fewer of which even follow rugby league let alone the red v.

Dragon David

First Grade
Unfortunately there is simply no resemblance between the demographic of the greater Kogarah catchment and that of past decades, Penrith Leagues is situated in the middle of league heartland now, the Taj sits amongst a completely different group today, fewer and fewer of which even follow rugby league let alone the red v.
That is the reality now as you have said HY.

Trifili13

Juniors
Went on the Penrith vs Para GF forum to see what they were saying ( my first mistake) so I should not have expected any intelligent commentary and I was not disappointed by the 2 below comments:
Forget St George. No salary cap. No QLD or NZ teams or Canberra. A ten team comp. Penrith and Cronulla weren't even in the comp. It was a local NSW comp. There run is no more valid compared to NRL sides than the run of the QLD comp sides during the same era.
It was also unlimited tackle in the Saints and Rabbitohs glory days. Just hire the biggest players and bludgeon your way to the line.

And then when I said if they thought it was so easy to win 11 in a row why no other team has gotten even close, I got this peach of a response:

The Northern Suburbs Devils won 8 in ten years in the Queensland competition in the sixties. Who is to say they wouldn't have beaten St George? What St George did is admirable, but it was a very limited ten team State based competition back then. Newtown Jets and the Bears don't even play anymore. You can't compare it to a competition that has NZ, Canberra, 3 Queensland teams, and Melboune. Penrith and Cronulla weren't even in the competition when St George did their run of wins. St George were a champion team in the NSW cup, not the NRL. There is nothing "National" about beating everybody in Sydney even if you do it 11 times straight.

While the whole rugby league community acknowledges what we did will never be achieved again, we have a Riff supporter saying it was "admirable". I suppose he thinks Bradman's 99.94 test average is OK as Zimbabwe and were not a test playing nation in those days. While what the Riff has achieved by winning 2 GFs is a fantastic achievement, it was also done a couple of years ago by the Chooks so they have not suddenly invented the game.

Pomoz

Bench
Went on the Penrith vs Para GF forum to see what they were saying ( my first mistake) so I should not have expected any intelligent commentary and I was not disappointed by the 2 below comments:

It was also unlimited tackle in the Saints and Rabbitohs glory days. Just hire the biggest players and bludgeon your way to the line.

And then when I said if they thought it was so easy to win 11 in a row why no other team has gotten even close, I got this peach of a response:

The Northern Suburbs Devils won 8 in ten years in the Queensland competition in the sixties. Who is to say they wouldn't have beaten St George? What St George did is admirable, but it was a very limited ten team State based competition back then. Newtown Jets and the Bears don't even play anymore. You can't compare it to a competition that has NZ, Canberra, 3 Queensland teams, and Melboune. Penrith and Cronulla weren't even in the competition when St George did their run of wins. St George were a champion team in the NSW cup, not the NRL. There is nothing "National" about beating everybody in Sydney even if you do it 11 times straight.

While the whole rugby league community acknowledges what we did will never be achieved again, we have a Riff supporter saying it was "admirable". I suppose he thinks Bradman's 99.94 test average is OK as Zimbabwe and were not a test playing nation in those days. While what the Riff has achieved by winning 2 GFs is a fantastic achievement, it was also done a couple of years ago by the Chooks so they have not suddenly invented the game.
Trifilli13 why do you care whether I am impressed by the 11 straight Dragons? I have not insulted anybody and I haven't bragged and said the Riff is better. As I have got older, I have learned that pride comes before a fall and you won't find me gloating at other teams. I will enjoy the wins when they come and mourn the wooden spoons when they inevitably come too. Circle of life and all that.

As for your point, everybody acknowledges it will never be done again, well, guess what? Of course they do, because it's actually a national competition now with teams outside of Sydney. Furthermore, a wealthy club can't buy all the best players because of the salary cap.

Pomoz

Bench
But you have the Illawarra region as well. You have enough juniors to build a good team, you just need to sort out your development pathways.