What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2023 thread

Campion

Juniors
That's a pretty rough injury run. Why does that happen to some people you think? Unlucky in the field? Or body just not cut for what the mind wants.

JJ

Immortal
It's just a brutal sport, and luck plays a big role - from memory Awen Guttenbeil had a horrific time for a long while, then it all changed... hopefully Roache can get some good years, but it must test the will

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It's just a brutal sport, and luck plays a big role - from memory Awen Guttenbeil had a horrific time for a long while, then it all changed... hopefully Roache can get some good years, but it must test the will
Yeah Awen was made of glass early on, had 2-3 seasons pretty much constantly injured, then came right as he matured. Benji was another, constant shoulder issues until he put on some beef but was pretty durable later in his career.

As JJ says, much of it is luck, a lot of injuries just happen because a joint cops too much stress at exactly the wrong angle, something I learned first hand when I copped a fairly serious shoulder dislocation at work.

Penrose_11

Juniors
Interesting how Webster has come so early and stated certain players are already locked into their positions
CNK at fullback
Tohu playing at lock
Walker will play 14
TMM getting 1st go at standoff

Gotta say I do like Tohu playing at 12 or 13 though. He’s definitely not a prop. Looks like we’re definitely in the market for a top of the line prop

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Interesting how Webster has come so early and stated certain players are already locked into their positions
CNK at fullback
Tohu playing at lock
Walker will play 14

Gotta say I do like Tohu playing at 12 or 13 though. He’s definitely not a prop. Looks like we’re definitely in the market for a top of the line prop
Yeah, I'm interested by the Tohu one. He's right, he's best in the back row as a ball-playing option, not purely as a metre-eating prop. However, we're very short on quality props, but we aren't short on back rowers.

So now our propping rotation is Bunty, AFB, BMM (often injured) and Tom Ale? With really little or no back-up at all.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Yeah, I'm interested by the Tohu one. He's right, he's best in the back row as a ball-playing option, not purely as a metre-eating prop. However, we're very short on quality props, but we aren't short on back rowers.

So now our propping rotation is Bunty, AFB, BMM (often injured) and Tom Ale? With really little or no back-up at all.
I was reading an article earlier in the week, apparently we were in for Palasia from the Broncos who since signed with the Tits. So they've obviously identified the front row as an area for improvement.

My point of view is, there is no quality there this year, so Webster will formulate a game plan around the players that we DO have (something that previous coaches should have done) and hope to add boppers in 2024.

Penrose_11

Juniors
Martin Taupau?? Certainly coming to end of his career but could certainly be a leader for our young props. Was born in Aucks as well. Not sure what other experienced props still on the market either, so a homecoming not out of the question I guess. I def rated him a few years back but not sure where I am with him now in terms of if the club choose to recruit him or not

Getting a big name prop will never happen especially since we have AFB. So i reckon we should push for lower-middle tier props.

Maybe ask Tof Sipley if he wants to come home. Or Taniela Paseka. Offer them more gametime and longer deals and they might want to see what we have to offer

Penrose_11

Juniors
Interesting with BMM now pretty much out the door that coach must have someone in mind to replace him. I’d stay he was on a $1mil/3yr deal and adding whatever other cap they have could be likely opens a spot for that $500k prop and a lower end player to fill that 30 squad. Wouldn’t b surprised if we saw something announced pre Xmas as will want player involved in team setup asap

BLN2

Juniors
Rumours are going around about a contracted Kiwis forward joining... No idea who, but the only ones I can think of are NAS, JWH or Leota. Taupau possibly, but he's locked at the Eels I'm pretty sure.

Penrose_11

Juniors
JWH has previously been mentioned as being allowed to talk to other clubs and was possibly even linked to a UK move. Can’t see NAS being released with the amount of other forwards having already left Storm. Leota has links to Webster so could be him?? That’d be pretty fkn good

Meth

Staff member
CNK at fullback
Tohu playing at lock
Walker will play 14

I think I am good with all of those things. A little 50/50 on CNK. Yes to Walker at 14, but I wonder where that leaves Tevaga (with Harris at 13)

We are obviously a prop short, but I think we play our best players in their best positions and figure the rest out from there