What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2023

Perth Tiger

Bench
Lomi Saukuru is shit, Horrible selection in the top 30. Honestly he shouldn’t even be on a development contract. My only guess is we want to keep the family happy as his younger brother Solomone is an absolute weapon.

Sione Fainu and Tristian Reilly won’t get anywhere near first grade either. Tumeth I can probably cop but he should have been development for another year.
Great another year where we have wasted 20% of our squad on spuds. They can join great company like William Kei, Dylan Smith and Kane Bradley in a year or 2

Ron's_Mate

Bench
‘I want Luke here’: Why Sheens won’t let Brooks walk without a fight
By Christian Nicolussi
November 5, 2022 — 4.45pm

One of the last things Tim Sheens did before he was sacked by Wests Tigers a decade ago was convince a young Luke Brooks to commit to the club.

He never got the chance to work with him then, which is why Sheens is in no mood now to let him go to Newcastle.

Newcastle coach Adam O’Brien had the chance on Friday to shoot down speculation about Brooks joining the Knights for the 2023 season, but instead added to the intrigue when he said: “I’m not too sure ... when the list is finalised, I’ll coach that list”.

Sheens, though, was unequivocal. “I want Luke here,” he told The Sun-Herald. “It’s not our intention to release him, and there’s been no request from Newcastle. It’s been talked and talked and talked about.

“He’s due to turn up here on November 14, and I’m looking forward to working with him. Benji [Marshall] and I are looking forward to getting our hands on him.

“Right at the moment, there’s been no movement from the Knights and we’re moving forward with him as our halfback.

“He still has his legs, he has speed, he’s brave, and if you needed to find someone to replace him, you wouldn’t find that [an] easy task either.

“The last thing I did at the Tigers was to convince him, Mitchell Moses and James Tedesco to sign here. They were our next spine at the time. I never got the chance to work with Brooksy then. I’m looking forward to working with him now next year.”

Brooks is due to report for pre-season training on Monday week and is free to officially strike a deal elsewhere for 2024, now he is entering the final year of his Tigers contract.

The Knights were convinced they had secured Brooks for the start of last season. The fact the move never eventuated arguably left the Hunter club scrambling.

Sheens will not open negotiations with Brooks or Doueihi until the new year, even if it leaves them exposed to the advances of rivals.

The 72-year-old was relieved Doueihi pulled through the World Cup campaign uninjured after Lebanon’s campaign ended against Australia early Saturday. He will not resume training until the new year.

Sheens’ two-year tenure in charge started on Wednesday, alongside his 2025 successor Marshall.

While Sheens refused to discuss the pending arrival of English enforcer John Bateman – “I’ll only talk about the guys we’ve already got and signed” – he labelled Api Koroisau “the best advertisement for the club”, and someone who was already on the ground talking to prospective players.

Only the most rusted-on Tigers fan would dare to dream about a premiership in 2023. A finals berth will be the goal, but September football looks a more likely target the following year.

Sheens pointed out the club not once fielded a full-strength side last year, which included the trials. They lost nine games by 10 points or less, he said, which included eight games by eight points or fewer. Tommy Talau and Shawn Blore did not feature at all because of injury.

One player who did report for day one of pre-season training was Randwick rugby captain Ben Houston, a No.6 in rugby who “is big and rangy and a front-row proposition”, Sheens said.

Tigerm

First Grade
‘I want Luke here’: Why Sheens won’t let Brooks walk without a fight
By Christian Nicolussi
November 5, 2022 — 4.45pm

One of the last things Tim Sheens did before he was sacked by Wests Tigers a decade ago was convince a young Luke Brooks to commit to the club.

He never got the chance to work with him then, which is why Sheens is in no mood now to let him go to Newcastle.

Newcastle coach Adam O’Brien had the chance on Friday to shoot down speculation about Brooks joining the Knights for the 2023 season, but instead added to the intrigue when he said: “I’m not too sure ... when the list is finalised, I’ll coach that list”.

Sheens, though, was unequivocal. “I want Luke here,” he told The Sun-Herald. “It’s not our intention to release him, and there’s been no request from Newcastle. It’s been talked and talked and talked about.

“He’s due to turn up here on November 14, and I’m looking forward to working with him. Benji [Marshall] and I are looking forward to getting our hands on him.

“Right at the moment, there’s been no movement from the Knights and we’re moving forward with him as our halfback.

“He still has his legs, he has speed, he’s brave, and if you needed to find someone to replace him, you wouldn’t find that [an] easy task either.

“The last thing I did at the Tigers was to convince him, Mitchell Moses and James Tedesco to sign here. They were our next spine at the time. I never got the chance to work with Brooksy then. I’m looking forward to working with him now next year.”

Brooks is due to report for pre-season training on Monday week and is free to officially strike a deal elsewhere for 2024, now he is entering the final year of his Tigers contract.

The Knights were convinced they had secured Brooks for the start of last season. The fact the move never eventuated arguably left the Hunter club scrambling.

Sheens will not open negotiations with Brooks or Doueihi until the new year, even if it leaves them exposed to the advances of rivals.

The 72-year-old was relieved Doueihi pulled through the World Cup campaign uninjured after Lebanon’s campaign ended against Australia early Saturday. He will not resume training until the new year.

Sheens’ two-year tenure in charge started on Wednesday, alongside his 2025 successor Marshall.

While Sheens refused to discuss the pending arrival of English enforcer John Bateman – “I’ll only talk about the guys we’ve already got and signed” – he labelled Api Koroisau “the best advertisement for the club”, and someone who was already on the ground talking to prospective players.

Only the most rusted-on Tigers fan would dare to dream about a premiership in 2023. A finals berth will be the goal, but September football looks a more likely target the following year.

Sheens pointed out the club not once fielded a full-strength side last year, which included the trials. They lost nine games by 10 points or less, he said, which included eight games by eight points or fewer. Tommy Talau and Shawn Blore did not feature at all because of injury.

One player who did report for day one of pre-season training was Randwick rugby captain Ben Houston, a No.6 in rugby who “is big and rangy and a front-row proposition”, Sheens said.

Not sure whether to laugh or cry at these Brooks statements?

I bow to Sheens experience, but I just can’t see how they all continually rate Brooks?

It starting to look like @Old Time Tiger is on the money, that they may be prepared to let Jacko go? Fools.

simmo05

Bench
Good riddance. He was over-hyped and didn't really deliver. Then he got the loan deal and made those comments putting down our clubs facilities and training tactics, so on your bike lad.
Couldn't even crack the tigers team, what a player. Good riddance

westerntiger

Juniors
The tigers are an absolute shambles. Continued protection racket for brooks, signing Bateman who has a problem with Hastings. No home ground strategy.

Pascoe must have some serious dirt on the board to keep his job. Absolute disgrace.

Tigerm

First Grade
The tigers are an absolute shambles. Continued protection racket for brooks, signing Bateman who has a problem with Hastings. No home ground strategy.

You may not like it, but they have one?

Pascoe must have some serious dirt on the board to keep his job. Absolute disgrace.

Not sure why you are saying this?

TBF, he has been instrumental in getting the club turning a profit, (there are not many clubs who do), Chairmen Lee praised his efforts in getting the CoE up and running, nearly single handedly.

Barring the NRL team, the Wests Tigers are in great shape.
Record membership, record sponsors, (junior, female and indigenous) pathway programs in place, generally great crowds at matches, bearing in mind he has to balance all this in a JV club?

He does make the senior employment decisions (Cleary, Maguire, Sheens etc) some of these blokes have made some terrible decisions, that have taken years to fix, you don’t pay blokes nearly $1m a year to run the footy side of the club and micromanage them? I don’t think he has that type of skill set, so he employs people who supposedly do?

Pretty sure, I’m the same as the rest of us, frustrated as f**k, re the NRL results, but credit where it’s due.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
If Bateman turns up, we seem to have the forwards covered?
What’s everyone’s thought on the backs?
Only Staines (of note) signed, are we still short another back? Seem to be putting a lot on blokes who really haven’t delivered much in the past for us.

Shredder

Juniors
Cant do a full roster rebuild in one year.

Happy with how the forwards are shaping up.

We have 12 players off contract at the next year which gives us room then.

I think we have two spots left? So if we sign Bateman, we cant sign both Klemmer and Woods. Id say that Woods is media BS. Its still the centers Im most worried about.

Tigerm

First Grade
Cant do a full roster rebuild in one year.

Happy with how the forwards are shaping up.

We have 12 players off contract at the next year which gives us room then.

I think we have two spots left? So if we sign Bateman, we cant sign both Klemmer and Woods. Id say that Woods is media BS. Its still the centers Im most worried about.
Yes and it’s beyond belief that we supposedly haven’t re-signed, Laurie, Hastings or Doueihi?

Shredder

Juniors
Id say its probably something stupid like Sheens has to sign off and hes overseas.

I havent seen a single proper post Nov 1 signing from any club.

Tigerm

First Grade
Id say its probably something stupid like Sheens has to sign off and hes overseas.

I havent seen a single proper post Nov 1 signing from any club.
In post #122 @Ron's_Mate, he has been reported as saying he won’t do anything about re-signing Brooks? and Doueihi until the new year, but no mention of Hastings and Laurie?

So f**k knows what’s happening?

Tigers1986

Juniors
Any truth to the speculation that the draw is coming this week? I was on the phone with membership today re: changing my seat at BankWest, and the guy kinda sorta hinted about something for Wednesday.

I know it's rumour, but I figured folks here at LU may be more in the loop cos I doubt it hey, with Abdo & Vlandys in England

stryker

First Grade
If Bateman turns up, we seem to have the forwards covered?
What’s everyone’s thought on the backs?
Only Staines (of note) signed, are we still short another back? Seem to be putting a lot on blokes who really haven’t delivered much in the past for us.
We’ve got no props. No real ones.

Tigerm

First Grade

TIGERS
Top 30 spots left to fill
: Three

2023 Squad: Shawn Blore (2024), Luke Brooks (2023), Adam Doueihi (2023), Sione Fainu (2024), Jackson Hastings (2023), Asu Kepaoa (2024), Apisai Koroisau (2024 MO 2025), Daine Laurie (2023), Ken Maumalo (2023, PO 2024), Rua Ngatikaura (2024), Brent Naden (2025), David Nofoaluma (2025), Joe Ofahengaue (2025), Isaiah Papali’i (2025), Fonua Pole (2024), Triston Reilly (2024), Alex Seyfarth (2023), Jake Simpkin (2024), Tuki Simpkins (2023), Will Smith (2023), Charlie Staines (2023), Tommy Talau (2023), Starford To’a (2024), Brandon Tumeth (2024), Junior Tupou (2024), Alex Twal (2024), Stefano Utoikamanu (2024 MO 2025)
Development players: Apisalome Saukuru (2023), Justin Matamua (2023)
Who they could target: The Tigers still have three spots to fill in their top 30 and have been linked to former Raiders star John Bateman. Wigan have denied Bateman has agreed to join the Tigers, but he would be the perfect fit to try and drive standards on and off the field for Tim Sheens’ and Benji Marshall’s team. Given the Tigers’ have a development mandate to promote their promising juniors, they won’t be splashing cash unless it is a big name and they don’t get much bigger than Bateman.

BrotherJim05

Bench
3 spots left - we need a 2nd rower and two props. Klemmer and Bateman would be perfect. I'd take Brown or Woods as the third

BrotherJim05

Bench
No backs?
We have a lot of solid young forwards coming through the ranks but it's all for nought if we don't have experienced veterans to bring them through. I think it's better we lay a solid foundation in the forwards by signing experience, then we can concentrate on improving our backline, although I think outside backs is the least of our worries

3 spots left - we need a 2nd rower and two props. Klemmer and Bateman would be perfect. I'd take Brown or Woods as the third
This.

Bateman back in Australia, settled in with his pretty Australian girlfriend, at his physical peak, well paid and going out for the odd night of matey frolics with Hastings is a pretty good spot for him.

I was looking back at his departure from the Raiders and no question he was f**ked around with by people down there for some unknown reason. Confronted Ricky and all that, f**k he’s got balls.

They tried to play the too cool for school with him and he right properly responded by completely f**king them over.

So when he says “ it’s nice to be wanted” it’s a big f**k you to the raiders.

I like his approach, he wants to come to work, try hard and be respected. Simple and constructive.
No shit leaks and undermining.

The English rags say he’s on the plane.

All the good things he likes with us, respect he’s shown ( and he thinks he deserves), you’d have to conclude he’s ready to make a massive impact and should be our best player.

That kind of player, head right and willing, he should inspire and lift the pack a few notches.

We should deliver for him.

An important signing. He’d waltz into any club, except perhaps the raiders. We are stupid for sure, but at least we are openly stupid. It’s not a secret. The raiders thought they were James Bond types with their games and subterfuge but were Austin Powers.

Last edited:

Latest posts