What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season Prediction/Expectation Thread

Eddie Lab

Juniors
What are you expecting from your teams? Is it in line with the mainstream media’s talking points? Will your team regress or become better? Prediction for W-L?

Technically the panthers will regress in the W-L ratio but that’s due to over achieving last year.

Media's talking points have been:

• No WR’s
  • Oline is terrible
  • Secondary worse
  • TB and ATL have gotten much better
My opinion on these:

• I think way too much has been made of the Panthers WR’s or lack there off. The group of Smith/Lafell/Ginn/Hixon was ranked 29th in the league and Olsen was the leading receiver is still on the team. Also the group of 2013 is much worse than the current group of Cotchery/Avant/Benjamin/Underwood. Imo they can’t do any worse.
  • Not gonna lie this is a concern and could ruin our season. Any injuries on the o-line and cam will need to scramble even more than usual
  • Secondary is better than last year with the addition of Cason/DeCloud/Harper. With the front 7 the Panthers have you can slot in any solid /average secondary player and they should shine. Look at Mitchell last year. After the Raiders he looked like he was destined for the NFL trash bin. Comes to Panthers and then signs a $25 million deal with the Steelers. I’m not too worried about secondary.
  • NFCsouth is impossible to predict. I’m not gonna sit here and claim to know how these two teams are going. Just have to wait and see.
10-6 with a wildcard would be acceptable in my books. 8-8 with a few tough losses or injuries would be the basement of acceptable.

zombie jesus

Staff member
I'm hoping for a division title from the Steelers. Another 8-8 season would be a massive failure.

Finished the year strongly last season. The offense should be better with Bell in his second year and Wheaton stepping in for Sanders, Moore and a healthy Miller more than a replacement for Cotchery, Bryant chipping in here and there, Archer returning kicks and burning guys with his speed, no huddle, Mike Munchak working with the o-line, DeCastro playing at All Pro level and Pouncey back, very excited to see them play.

Defense is fast but has to stay healthy, a bit thin on the line but Tuitt is stepping up apparently, thin at OLB too, Mitchell a massive upgrade over Ryan Clark. Sean Spence is back so the MLB group is really strong.

Last season Larry Foote, LaRod Stephens-Howling and Pouncey were out for the season after the first game, can't get much worse than that to start.

Even though we look the best we have since we last made the playoffs, I'm not expecting much from Oakland.

All I want to see is the Rookies play well and hopefully we have something for the future. Would be nice to finally have a franchise qb.

ggmu

Juniors
For the Ravens I'm expecting at least a return to the playoffs. Not sure we are capable of winning the Super Bowl but an apperance in the AFC championship game isn't out of the question.
As for players I'm expecting Flacco to career highs in Td's and yards. The addition of Steve Smith should help take defences away from Torrey Smith. A settled offensive line should also help although there are still questions about Wagner at RT.

On D Ngata is healthy and moving back to DT with Williams stepping up to NT and he is an absolute beast. Really liking out Linebackers this year. Mosley and Smith in the middle with Brown rotating in. And with Suggs, Doom and Upshaw on the out side that's a pretty handy LB corps IMO. Bit worried about the 3rd CB and Fs positions but hopefully some one steps up.

And then we have the star if the team Justin Tucker haha who I think is the best kicker in the league. Need Koch to return to his form of 2 or 3 years ago and we will have close to the best special teams in the NFL.

nick87

Coach
I expect to see Nick Foles solidify himself as a franchise QB. Dont need him to be as historically great as he was last year, but low turn over rates, smart decision making, stop taking some of those sacks he took at times. Just over all improvement on his game, even if it's not an improvement in stats

The offense to not miss a beat without Jackson, I'd like to see enough from Matthews to suggest he can be as good as we hoped. I want to see Chip get creative with using Sproles and McCoy in the same formations.
I want to see Lane Johnson build on his solid rookie year and make the leap to one of the games best RT's
Maclin to remain injury free and play out his full season.

On defense, i expect to see improvement across the board. Better safety play. Our young DL to take the next step as a unit and really bottle up the run game. Hoping to see Smith slowly get acclimated into the defense and show signs of a premiere pass rusher.

I want a top 3 offense and a top 15 defense. If we can do that, double digit wins are a lock and we should head into the play offs with a real chance to give the NFC W a run for it's money

I think the Eagles will go 10-6 again, but it will be a more impressive 10-6 as we've got the harder scheduale this year. I expect us to win a play off game and continue building for a genuine SB crack in 2015/16

Last edited:
Philly offense will be awesome to watch this year. I'm excited to see what Matthews can do in that great offense.

abpanther

Staff member
I'm kinda nervous that after 3 straight NFC Title games this may be the season that we take a dip.

This is the year for Kap to take the next step, he's got his big contract, reports are that he is looking like a seasoned vet in training camp, I wanna see him take it up a notch in the passing game. He's got all the weapons he needs, Crabtree is healthy, Boldin, Johnson and Brandon Lloyd has looked very good. Add to that Quinton Patton in his second year, Bruce Ellington along with Vernon Davis and Vance McDonald, he needs to improve the passing game. The running game is a concern with Hunter gone and LMJ nursing an elbow injury, however I have big hopes for Hyde and I'm sure Gore has another season left. Alex Boone's holdout isn't the best news but I think Joe Looney can do the job.

I know a lot has been made of our defense but I think they'll be fine. Dorsey is a loss but Ian Williams should be back and he looked great, also really like Quinton Dial. The front 7 should be fine, the loss of Bowman hurts but we've done fine in the past with fill ins next to Willis, really excited to see what Tank Carradine can do this season, I think he will be a big help on pass rushing downs from the inside. I think Whitner for Bethea is a wash and I have high hopes for Jimmy Ward. Corners are a concern, really need Culliver to get his head straightened out.

Anything less than a Superbowl this year would be a disappointment, this team is primed for another run

shiznit

Coach
I think the Raiders will be a lot better this season... But they have the toughest strength of schedule in the whole league...

From what I've heard in training camp...

The defence is looking very good... The pass rush is apparently looking beastly... With the new vets brought in and the addition of Khalil Mack they will cause some big problems.

From all accounts Khalil Mack has been sensational all through the offseason... I'm really looking forward to see how he goes.

The offence is worrying... They offensive line is pretty big... But IMO letting Valdheer walk was a mistake... Hopefully donald penn can do the job.

We look like we're going to be a power running team... We have McFadden & Jones-Drew who will share the RB duties... And we have a QB who pretty much relies on the play action... Our main receiver is James Jones... Who's not a bad number 2... But certainly not a number 1.

Schuab started camp well... But he's been throwing pick 6's galore in the past couple of practice runs. Derek Carr has come in and while everyone's been impressed with his arm strength... He's been picked off regularly when they pressure him.

Raiders fans are just hoping it's the outstanding pass rush that's making the QBs look bad and not the other way around.

I'll say the Raiders will improve from 4-12... But I'm thinking we will be looking at 6-10 or maybe 7-9 if we are lucky...

Still rebuilding...

nick87

Coach
Foles had a rough start to preseason. Makes me a little anxious.

On the plus side, Sanchez actually looked REALLY good.

Chargers

The draw is harder playing the NFC West.
I think the Offense will be pretty good, perhaps not as prolific as last year. The Running backs are quite good. receivers are solid if Malcolm Floyd can stay healthy. Keenan Allen is the big star there. i like what i see from Ladarius Green as well.
Rivers will be Phil Rivers. He's a good player.

The O line will have to improve again. Fluker is a good young player the rest are shaky.

Defensively i think we have adressed some needs. selected a first round CB. got Flowers in FA.
If Freeney, Ingram, reyes etc stay fit we can pressure the QB. As soon as ingram came back last year we suddenly looked much better on D.

Eric Weddell has a big beard.
He's a good, but perhaps over rated player.

The young Running back in the pre season looks alright.

dont see us topping denver in the division, unless Manning gets hit bad or something.
best case is wildcard and see how ya go from there. i reckon the AFC is a crapshooot and any of 5 teams could play in the superbowl and be crushed by an NFC opponant. You would rate Denver, NEw England and then who's the 3rd best AFC team? could well be the Chargers.

legend

Coach
Superbowl or bust baby. D has improved immensely with Ware, Ward nd Talin on board and with Miller and Clady back on deck, I expect us to give it a real shake.

From all reports, Manning has improved his arm strength so I'll have to keep an eye on that.

Thomas, Thomas, Welker and Sanders give us the deepest starting receivers in the league. Just have to make sure they are properly utilised.

T.S Quint

Coach
I'm kinda nervous that after 3 straight NFC Title games this may be the season that we take a dip.

This is the year for Kap to take the next step, he's got his big contract, reports are that he is looking like a seasoned vet in training camp, I wanna see him take it up a notch in the passing game. He's got all the weapons he needs, Crabtree is healthy, Boldin, Johnson and Brandon Lloyd has looked very good. Add to that Quinton Patton in his second year, Bruce Ellington along with Vernon Davis and Vance McDonald, he needs to improve the passing game. The running game is a concern with Hunter gone and LMJ nursing an elbow injury, however I have big hopes for Hyde and I'm sure Gore has another season left. Alex Boone's holdout isn't the best news but I think Joe Looney can do the job.

I know a lot has been made of our defense but I think they'll be fine. Dorsey is a loss but Ian Williams should be back and he looked great, also really like Quinton Dial. The front 7 should be fine, the loss of Bowman hurts but we've done fine in the past with fill ins next to Willis, really excited to see what Tank Carradine can do this season, I think he will be a big help on pass rushing downs from the inside. I think Whitner for Bethea is a wash and I have high hopes for Jimmy Ward. Corners are a concern, really need Culliver to get his head straightened out.

Anything less than a Superbowl this year would be a disappointment, this team is primed for another run

Yeah, can't add too much too this.
I'm a bit worried about how our secondary will fare, especially in the corners. Hopefully Jimmy Ward can work out as well as Eric Reid did for us last year.

I'm also afraid about our depth now after these two preseason games. Our backups are getting hammered by the other teams. If we get a bad run with injuries (already we have copped some for Bowman, Dorsey, Hunter and James) I'm not sure we can do well in our division.

But enough negativity - Looking forward to starting the season proper and getting to see how we will go with the changes we have made. Hopefully a fourth straight NFC Championship game is on the cards.
Exciting times.

Latest posts