What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seasons 2020 + 2021 COVID-19 discussion thread

Bandwagon

Staff member
Social benefits? Team sport? When it comes to your kids mate - not a single other of the 7 billion people on earth matter. I’m not giving me kid a jab that for his circumstances is unnecessary and poses any sort of risk, however minute. My kids safety comes before anyone else’s perceived safety

I didn’t say the vaccine causes fertility issues. I said no long term studies have been done to see whether it does or doesn’t. For an 40+ adult, that’s not so much of a concern as you’ve probably finished the baby making stage, but for children, you need an ironclad guarantee that a decision you are making won’t have long term repercussions

No long term studies have been done that disprove eating cake makes your balls shrivel up and drop off if you happen to get stuck outside on a full moon.

There are no ironclad guarantees, only levels of probability and risk. I think it fine to be cautious, and fine to assert there are unknowns, but it's a poor argument to simply pick a given possible side effect and insist it's a valid reason simply because it hasn't been proven not to be.

Noise

Coach
How long do you think it takes for the effect of 'infected cases in the community' to show up in the new case numbers?

With 40-50 odd in the community in the last couple of days there should be a spike in new cases in the coming days...When do we think that will be?

Bandwagon

Staff member
How long do you think it takes for the effect of 'infected cases in the community' to show up in the new case numbers?

With 40-50 odd in the community in the last couple of days there should be a spike in new cases in the coming days...When do we think that will be?

I think it's really difficult to say, there's a lot more delay now in results, and that's feeding into delays for exposure sites and their reporting.

That means the numbers we are seeing are days old by the time they're announced.

We are at the point where resources are stretched beyond capacity, the virus is winning. I would not be surprised at all to see the government ( state and federal ) begin to prime us for the idea it's out of control.

Kornstar

Coach
If my GP is advising me to get the vaccine, and knows i am going to a vaccination hub what benefits is she getting? Considering the only reason she is telling me to get the vaccination is because she is on the take and can't be a trustworthy source? What is the reason she tells me it is safe?

hindy111

Immortal
While things looked normal and the economy was firing again nobody seemed to care about vaccines.
Now we have hit a stand still ScoMo has reared his head and all of a sudden they are pushing everyone to get a jab.

You can understand why plenty of people question the big push now while earlier it was all about its not a race .......

Social benefits? Team sport? When it comes to your kids mate - not a single other of the 7 billion people on earth matter. I’m not giving me kid a jab that for his circumstances is unnecessary and poses any sort of risk, however minute. My kids safety comes before anyone else’s perceived safety

I didn’t say the vaccine causes fertility issues. I said no long term studies have been done to see whether it does or doesn’t. For an 40+ adult, that’s not so much of a concern as you’ve probably finished the baby making stage, but for children, you need an ironclad guarantee that a decision you are making won’t have long term repercussions

How do you know what the long-term consequences of a child catching Covid are? How do you know that, while short-term effect may be neglibile, a kid who catches Covid today may not suffer longer term problems? Where's your ironclad guarantee in that regard?

Bandwagon

Staff member
How do you know what the long-term consequences of a child catching Covid are? How do you know that, while short-term effect may be neglibile, a kid who catches Covid today may not suffer longer term problems? Where's your ironclad guarantee in that regard?

That's a good point, virus' can do all sorts of fun shit, like lay dormant for years and then just go to town on the body at some point down the road. We don't know nearly enough about this virus and it's long term effects to be confident of much at all, and I don't believe we even understand why it's seemingly benign for the most part in the young.

While things looked normal and the economy was firing again nobody seemed to care about vaccines.
Now we have hit a stand still ScoMo has reared his head and all of a sudden they are pushing everyone to get a jab.

You can understand why plenty of people question the big push now while earlier it was all about its not a race .......
Because lockdowns f**k the economy, and ScoMo knows he will get blamed if the economy is f**ked. Its all about self preservation.

That's a good point, virus' can do all sorts of fun shit, like lay dormant for years and then just go to town on the body at some point down the road. We don't know nearly enough about this virus and it's long term effects to be confident of much at all, and I don't believe we even understand why it's seemingly benign for the most part in the young.

And there is evidence of at least medium-term concerns regarding effects of Covid on kids:

Case report and systematic review suggest that children may experience similar long-term effects to adults after clinical COVID-19​

Abstract​

Aim: Persistent symptoms in adults after COVID-19 are emerging and the term long COVID is increasingly appearing in the literature. However, paediatric data are scarce.
Methods: This paper contains a case report of five Swedish children and the long-term symptoms reported by their parents. It also includes a systematic literature review of the MEDLINE, EMBASE and Web of Science databases and the medRxiv/bioRxiv pre-print servers up to 2 November 2020.
Results: The five children with potential long COVID had a median age of 12 years (range 9-15) and four were girls. They had symptoms for 6-8 months after their clinical diagnoses of COVID-19. None were hospitalised at diagnosis, but one was later admitted for peri-myocarditis. All five children had fatigue, dyspnoea, heart palpitations or chest pain, and four had headaches, difficulties concentrating, muscle weakness, dizziness and sore throats. Some had improved after 6-8 months, but they all suffered from fatigue and none had fully returned to school. The systematic review identified 179 publications and 19 of these were deemed relevant and read in detail. None contained any information on long COVID in children.
Conclusion: Children may experience similar long COVID symptoms to adults and females may be more affected.

Children with long covid​

Helen Thomson
Copyright and License information Disclaimer

This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.

Go to:

Abstract​

Almost half of children who contract covid-19 may have lasting symptoms, which should factor into decisions on reopening schools, reports Helen Thomson

A SERIOUS picture is emerging about the long-term health effects of covid-19 in some children, with UK politicians calling the lack of acknowledgment of the problem a “national scandal”.
Children seem to be fairly well-protected from the most severe symptoms of covid-19. According to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, the majority of children don't develop symptoms when infected with the coronavirus, or their symptoms are very mild.
However, it is becoming increasingly apparent that a large number of children with symptomatic and asymptomatic covid-19 are experiencing long-term effects, many months after the initial infection.
Go to:

Long-term symptoms​

Symptoms of long covid were first thought to include fatigue, muscle and joint pain, headache, insomnia, respiratory problems and heart palpitations. Now, support groups and researchers say there may be up to 100 other symptoms, including gastrointestinal problems, nausea, dizziness, seizures, hallucinations and testicular pain.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7927578/

Like everything and every side in these debates, it's certainly not 'riskless'

Gronk

Staff member

Music festival in the Netherlands leads to over 1,000 Covid infections​

PUBLISHED THU, JUL 15 20218:32 AM EDTUPDATED THU, JUL 15 202110:17 AM EDT

KEY POINTS
  • A festival in the Netherlands has shocked officials after 1,000 coronavirus infections were linked to the event despite requiring a “test for entry.”
  • The Verknipt outdoor festival, which took place in Utrecht in early July, was attended by 20,000 people over two days.
  • Everyone who attended had to show a QR code that demonstrated that they were vaccinated, had recently had a Covid infection or had a negative Covid test.

Will this be the new normal ? Public events that have conditions of entry ? It’s not a passport, but a compromise. This event, notwithstanding these precautions resulted in 1,000 infections from the 20,000 punters.

it looks like those who choose to remain unvaccinated to the covid disease, are just going to roll the dice and get the disease. They will be asymptomatic, or not.

strider

Post Whore
If my GP is advising me to get the vaccine, and knows i am going to a vaccination hub what benefits is she getting? Considering the only reason she is telling me to get the vaccination is because she is on the take and can't be a trustworthy source? What is the reason she tells me it is safe?
Literally no one in this thread has suggested that your local GP is on the take for covid injections.

IMO .... alot of them likely have a history of getting schmoosed by pharma reps, but I wouldn't see any of that happening atm - there is no need for it ..... they are just average joes going along with life atm - and I think they are probably mostly doing what they are being instructed to by others up the food chain, which is what they mostly do (same as most jobs) ...... and I'm sure plenty of em think its all good and thats fine ...... there would be an enormous range of GPs who think more or less deeply about it

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
wtf is going on in Sydney ?

how can you guys have so many positive tests day after day when the city is in lockdown ?

strider

Post Whore

Music festival in the Netherlands leads to over 1,000 Covid infections​

PUBLISHED THU, JUL 15 20218:32 AM EDTUPDATED THU, JUL 15 202110:17 AM EDT

KEY POINTS
  • A festival in the Netherlands has shocked officials after 1,000 coronavirus infections were linked to the event despite requiring a “test for entry.”
  • The Verknipt outdoor festival, which took place in Utrecht in early July, was attended by 20,000 people over two days.
  • Everyone who attended had to show a QR code that demonstrated that they were vaccinated, had recently had a Covid infection or had a negative Covid test.

Will this be the new normal ? Public events that have conditions of entry ? It’s not a passport, but a compromise. This event, notwithstanding these precautions resulted in 1,000 infections from the 20,000 punters.

it looks like those who choose to remain unvaccinated to the covid disease, are just going to roll the dice and get the disease. They will be asymptomatic, or not.

they were all vaccinated and had a recent negative test

so the passport (or whatever other name is politically correct) won't necessarily stop anyone from subsequently testing positive to the virus