What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seasons 2020 - 22 COVID-19 discussion thread

strider

Post Whore
missed this yesterday ...... fair enough - lets add Borody to the shitlist for looking to profit from this .... I always said he came across as a bit of a dick but a smart cookie

of course it says nothing about whether its an effective treatment ..... and his patent would only be on a specific combination of medications put into a pill ...... there would be nothing stopping those being obtained separately

quite a long article to call him out as a baddy

of course he is a baddy for backing what he deems an effective treatment ..... but the big boys are heros for coming up with their incredibily expensive treatments

strider

Post Whore
I've never thought much of the Guardian before, so never posted this one .... but if we are gonna usethe guardian to question ethics and what influence lobbying has on our government, here is a goodun

From 2018 - ie pre-pandemic - basically an article about how heavily involved in health policy in Australia the pharma lobby is.

The article is clearly aimed at taking a swipe and the liberal govt, though does mention its both sides, being too heavily influenced by pharma - the result being high medicine prices.

It identifies large donations to both political parties, libs considerably more.

It even goes to the extent of saying these pharma lobbies dictate policy and are literally involved in writing the policies. Not my claim.

An earlier report by Duckett found the pharmaceutical industry was often given extraordinary access and influence over individual policies. In one example industry lobby groups were in the room as the federal government developed its therapeutic pricing policy, a policy aimed at stopping the government wasting money on over-priced drugs.

“It’s all very well for the industry groups, the stakeholders, to be consulted,” he said. “But in this particular case, not only were they consulted, but they basically held the pen and designed the policy.”

So that was back in 2018 - when no f**ks were given - just high prices and big profits for the companies they are lobbying for.

Do we think that would have changed rolling forward? Might they still be in there heavily influencing policies and directions?

Gronk

Staff member
missed this yesterday ...... fair enough - lets add Borody to the shitlist for looking to profit from this .... I always said he came across as a bit of a dick but a smart cookie

of course it says nothing about whether its an effective treatment ..... and his patent would only be on a specific combination of medications put into a pill ...... there would be nothing stopping those being obtained separately

of course he is a baddy for backing what he deems an effective treatment ..... but the big boys are heros for coming up with their incredibily expensive treatments
It's not up to the world to investigate the med combo that whatshisname promotes. It's up to him to accompany his combo with peer reviewed randomized clinical trials. That's how it works and anyone who seeks to play shortcut will be met with scepticism.

hindy111

Immortal

Just go and get some of the magic medicine so you be safe like me.

hindy111

Immortal
Does anyone who has had the magic medicine want to catch covid just to see how effective it works? Since I've had the medicine I feel fearless against the virus. I am not that concerned about catching it now at all. Maybe I still should be but I am just not worried anymore. Amazing how my mindset changed after being double dosed.

Gary Gutful

Immortal
I've never thought much of the Guardian before, so never posted this one .... but if we are gonna usethe guardian to question ethics and what influence lobbying has on our government, here is a goodun

From 2018 - ie pre-pandemic - basically an article about how heavily involved in health policy in Australia the pharma lobby is.

The article is clearly aimed at taking a swipe and the liberal govt, though does mention its both sides, being too heavily influenced by pharma - the result being high medicine prices.

It identifies large donations to both political parties, libs considerably more.

It even goes to the extent of saying these pharma lobbies dictate policy and are literally involved in writing the policies. Not my claim.

So that was back in 2018 - when no f**ks were given - just high prices and big profits for the companies they are lobbying for.

Do we think that would have changed rolling forward? Might they still be in there heavily influencing policies and directions?

You would have to be an idiot to think that large pharmaceutical companies don’t have an influence on policy.

Bandwagon

Staff member
You would have to be an idiot to think that large pharmaceutical companies don’t have an influence on policy.

You could remove "pharmaceutical" from that statement and it'd be even more true.

Lobbying is a thing, in other news water is wet.

Eelectrica

Coach
Does anyone who has had the magic medicine want to catch covid just to see how effective it works? Since I've had the medicine I feel fearless against the virus. I am not that concerned about catching it now at all. Maybe I still should be but I am just not worried anymore. Amazing how my mindset changed after being double dosed.
There's a theory that you're better off getting shortly after being double dosed.
Makes sense to me. I mean if we assume that when we open up we're all getting it, it would be better when the vaccine is at its most effective.

strider

Post Whore

You could remove "pharmaceutical" from that statement and it'd be even more true.

Lobbying is a thing, in other news water is wet.
don't think there is any doubt lobbying and influence is a thing .... the article is questioning how much influence and how its achieved .... they are suggesting they are practically dictating the policy

Gary Gutful

Immortal
don't think there is any doubt lobbying and influence is a thing .... the article is questioning how much influence and how its achieved .... they are suggesting they are practically dictating the policy
I've been a policy professional for many years (hence Canberra). I'm no 'Big Pharma' spy but I have found myself dictating policy across mining and infrastructure...and if you know what pushes their buttons its easy enough to have success. It happens on a daily basis across every industry.

I was at my most effective when I worked for a multi-national mining company because of the "f**k you" factor, which admittedly was often saved up and used sparingly.

Its how I envisage the Pharma industry operating. Make no mistake, 'Big Pharma' would have no problems f**king you in the arse....and @Bandwagon for that matter.

eels_fan

First Grade
By this time next year everyone, vaxxed or not, will have had covid. It’s basically as simple as that.

some unvaxxed people will get extremely sick, with some of those dying.

some vaxxed people will get extremely sick, with some of those dying.

some vaxxed and unvaxxed will get it, but never realise they ever did. They may or may not inadvertently pass it onto someone who becomes one of those who end up extremely sick or dead, but we’ll never know who they got it off.

i won’t be getting vaxxed unless I literally cannot support my family any longer without doing so. I don’t see it coming to that, but if it does then I would do it.

I have many friends and family members that are vaxxed, and many that feel the same way as I do. I don’t think of them any differently, I don’t favour one of the other, I don’t care what decision they made for themselves. If I get covid off one of them, so be it, if I give covid to one of them, so be it. We’ve all made the decision we for ourselves.

to be honest I’d rather get it sooner and get over and done with it. The natural immunity built up from recovering from covid is of equal or better defence than the vax from all I have read and heard.

I’ve always followed the health directives on masks up until this week. Now I make a personal choice not to wear one. We’re all going to get it, the government and CHO have said so themselves, so why delay the inevitable? I’d rather get it now than when the borders are open and the stain likely to be higher on hospitals and medical facilities.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I've been a policy professional for many years (hence Canberra). I'm no 'Big Pharma' spy but I have found myself dictating policy across mining and infrastructure...and if you know what pushes their buttons its easy enough to have success. It happens on a daily basis across every industry.

I was at my most effective when I worked for a multi-national mining company because of the "f**k you" factor, which admittedly was often saved up and used sparingly.

Its how I envisage the Pharma industry operating. Make no mistake, 'Big Pharma' would have no problems f**king you in the arse....and @Bandwagon for that matter.

Euphemisms aplenty.

Bandwagon

Staff member

Mate, when the government says it's gonna consult with stakeholders over policy or legislation, what do you think they mean?

"cause they sure as hell aint looking for yours nor my opinion.

Bandwagon

Staff member
By this time next year everyone, vaxxed or not, will have had covid. It’s basically as simple as that.

some unvaxxed people will get extremely sick, with some of those dying.

some vaxxed people will get extremely sick, with some of those dying.

some vaxxed and unvaxxed will get it, but never realise they ever did. They may or may not inadvertently pass it onto someone who becomes one of those who end up extremely sick or dead, but we’ll never know who they got it off.

i won’t be getting vaxxed unless I literally cannot support my family any longer without doing so. I don’t see it coming to that, but if it does then I would do it.

I have many friends and family members that are vaxxed, and many that feel the same way as I do. I don’t think of them any differently, I don’t favour one of the other, I don’t care what decision they made for themselves. If I get covid off one of them, so be it, if I give covid to one of them, so be it. We’ve all made the decision we for ourselves.

to be honest I’d rather get it sooner and get over and done with it. The natural immunity built up from recovering from covid is of equal or better defence than the vax from all I have read and heard.

I’ve always followed the health directives on masks up until this week. Now I make a personal choice not to wear one. We’re all going to get it, the government and CHO have said so themselves, so why delay the inevitable? I’d rather get it now than when the borders are open and the stain likely to be higher on hospitals and medical facilities.

We're all going to get it is most probably true, the timing though is the question mark. With any luck it's over the medium to long term, as opposed to over the short to medium term.

If it becomes endemic like the flu, as seems to be almost universally agreed it will, then like the flu it's possible it'll take many years before "everyone gets it". Beyond it simply disappearing, that's probably best case scenario.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
There is only 1 reason why some one would not reveal their vaccine status. Pretty obvious.

Latest posts