What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seasons 2020 - 22 COVID-19 discussion thread

Gronk

Staff member
Thankfully most Australians have a “OK, what do you need me to do?” attitude and get on with it without too much brouhaha.
*most Australians have been forced to comply
giphy.gif

Bandwagon

Staff member

No they haven't. That's complete nonsense.

Vaccine take up has exploded in every jurisdiction where the threat has become real with an associated outbreak of the disease. Don't make the mistake of thinking that a small minority making a lot of noise is indicative of a lot of dissent.

We as a country have in general a very high uptake for vaccination, and trust in our medical professionals, enough so that even considering the mountain of disinformation surrounding these vaccines, most are quite willing to accept the benefits they offer are real, and far outweigh the potential negatives.

Gronk

Staff member

Love to know the instances of myocarditis in Covid patients vs instances in mRNA vaccine recipients.

Here you go..

During March 2020–January 2021, the risk for myocarditis was 0.146% among patients with COVID-19 and 0.009% among patients without COVID-19. Among patients with COVID-19, the risk for myocarditis was higher among males (0.187%) than among females (0.109%) and was highest among adults aged ≥75 years (0.238%), 65–74 years (0.186%), and 50–64 years (0.155%) and among children aged <16 years (0.133%).

The updated figures, current as of 14 November, mean there have been 329 reports of likely myocarditis from approximately 23.4 million doses of Pfizer and 978,000 Moderna doses.

So that’s 0.00137083%.

So statistically 0.009% of punters are likely to get it anyway during the year. A smaller % get it if vaccinated and a larger % get it if they get covid.

I’m no number cruncher so E&OE.

strider

Post Whore
Love to know the instances of myocarditis in Covid patients vs instances in mRNA vaccine recipients.

Here you go..

During March 2020–January 2021, the risk for myocarditis was 0.146% among patients with COVID-19 and 0.009% among patients without COVID-19. Among patients with COVID-19, the risk for myocarditis was higher among males (0.187%) than among females (0.109%) and was highest among adults aged ≥75 years (0.238%), 65–74 years (0.186%), and 50–64 years (0.155%) and among children aged <16 years (0.133%).

The updated figures, current as of 14 November, mean there have been 329 reports of likely myocarditis from approximately 23.4 million doses of Pfizer and 978,000 Moderna doses.

So that’s 0.00137083%.

So statistically 0.009% of punters are likely to get it anyway during the year. A smaller % get it if vaccinated and a larger % get it if they get covid.

I’m no number cruncher so E&OE.
I dont think that abstract they are discussing is specifically myocarditis .... though i am not a doctor, maybe it all ends up falling under the similar grouping???

Dr john does a decent job of dumbing things down for us numpties and explaining the markers being discussed

Dont think anyone is even saying there is comprehensive proof .... but its probably worth looking into rather than blind denial

Yesterday, when walking home from lunch, I passed a (peaceful) anti-mandate protest. Half of the placards that the people were carrying related to mandates that don't exist (and have never existed) in the ACT (i.e patrons do not need show evidence of vaccination status anywhere other than at a hospital / aged care home). I asked one bloke what he was going on about, and he said 'I'm not from here'. Go figure.

Gronk

Staff member
I dont think that abstract they are discussing is specifically myocarditis .... though i am not a doctor, maybe it all ends up falling under the similar grouping???

Dr john does a decent job of dumbing things down for us numpties and explaining the markers being discussed

Dont think anyone is even saying there is comprehensive proof .... but its probably worth looking into rather than blind denial
There is nothing black n white in a pandemic and epidemiologists need to balance risk. Hence why at the start of the vaccine rollout they said there was no urgency for under xx age and quickly changed the advice to hurry up and f**king get it to everyone.

Risks associated with vector vaccines (astrazenica) and mRNA vaccines (pfizer, moderna) are weighed up with the risks associated with the disease on individuals and the population. This is why standing your ground and saying vaccines are not perfectly safe and allowing that to frame your personal position is dumb, because there are a multitude of factors that play a role of making health policy decisions. Likewise, I think that we should adopt the same approach.

Bandwagon

Staff member
So lockdowns, threats of losing jobs and fear mongering had nothing to do with people ‘deciding’ to get the jab?

Nope, I'm dead certain these all had influence in peoples decisions, just as would have people getting very sick and dying from the disease.

strider

Post Whore
There is nothing black n white in a pandemic and epidemiologists need to balance risk. Hence why at the start of the vaccine rollout they said there was no urgency for under xx age and quickly changed the advice to hurry up and f**king get it to everyone.

Risks associated with vector vaccines (astrazenica) and mRNA vaccines (pfizer, moderna) are weighed up with the risks associated with the disease on individuals and the population. This is why standing your ground and saying vaccines are not perfectly safe and allowing that to frame your personal position is dumb, because there are a multitude of factors that play a role of making health policy decisions. Likewise, I think that we should adopt the same approach.
Isnt that the entire point .... did anyone know and acknowledge the risks before it went into no holds barred jab everyone? .... maybe they did and just didnt let on??? .... are you really in a position to know and assess the risks in such a short period of time?

Gronk

Staff member
Isnt that the entire point .... did anyone know and acknowledge the risks before it went into no holds barred jab everyone? .... maybe they did and just didnt let on??? .... are you really in a position to know and assess the risks in such a short period of time?
Well you know the risks now and they are negligible vs the benefits that the vaccines actually provide. So from my POV the argument is moot.

hindy111

Immortal

We live in a dangerous world now. Part of human evolution was based on an opinion. Having someone listen and potentisly change their opinion after considering other peoples thoughts, new information or new experiences.
@Poupou Escobar would understand this.

Now days it seems like there is a box and we are trying to make the world perfect. And people perfect. You can or can't do this. We are breeding clones who unable to think for themself. And if our opinions differ we are outcast.

Plenty of topics are only discussed quietly among close friends. The vaccine,religion,climate change,coal, gay marriage and the list goes on. And that's because if your opinion doesn't go with what is now deemed right your opinion is thrown out. You are ridiculed and seen as old fashioned or stupid.

It is going to be very odd in 40yrs what the human race is like.

hindy111

Immortal
So lockdowns, threats of losing jobs and fear mongering had nothing to do with people ‘deciding’ to get the jab?

Listen. It wasn't forced at all. You had a choice.

I mean I didn't have to get it. I could of sold my house and moved back into the shed with the lizards and Dad turning power off after 9pm.

hindy111

Immortal

Since I had the medicine I have been having terrible sleeps. I'm thinking it's linked.

IFR33K

Coach
Listen. It wasn't forced at all. You had a choice.

I mean I didn't have to get it. I could of sold my house and moved back into the shed with the lizards and Dad turning power off after 9pm.

No it wasn’t forced at all. That’s why we were breaking vaccine rollouts in Oz once it was available to us.

Eelogical

Coach
How the hell did they identify that the two cases from South Africa were the Omicron variant as opposed to Delta or the regular CV-19 so quickly? Lab scientists must have some super powers.....

Gronk

Staff member
How the hell did they identify that the two cases from South Africa were the Omicron variant as opposed to Delta or the regular CV-19 so quickly? Lab scientists must have some super powers.....
They do

Latest posts