What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seasons 2020 - 22 COVID-19 discussion thread

Gronk

Staff member
proven to be successful
Austin Powers Movie GIF

Gary Gutful

Immortal
Do you get vaccinated to protect yourself? Vaccines (these vaccines anyway) will not work unless everyone gets the jab and then boosters till it dies out. You still can catch and spread covid even if you had the vaccine. Why does the govt. dismiss any form of preventive medicine against covid?
Look. It would really help at this point if you explained the sunscreen analogy. Maybe once you do that we can have a sensible conversation.

Fair enough not the best analogy but what about the other comments I made about the vaccine?

The other comments you made were questions to somebody else. I was responding to one particularly loopy post (which doesn't inspire me greatly regarding the amount of thought that went into your other post, but fair enough). FWIW, I don't expect vaccines to have 100% effectiveness, or to protect you forever, or to be riskless. But I can do the maths. I'm happy to have a booster shot next month and if I need to have another I will. You're free to make your own choice.

Gronk

Staff member

If you freeze the play there …..

The High Court on Friday did not weigh in on any of Dr Samuel White’s claims, but rather found the General Medical Council’s Interim Orders Tribunal made an “error of law” when it imposed restrictions on the GP’s registration after he was accused of spreading Covid-19misinformation

Gronk

Staff member
People still don’t get it. Being vaccinated stops you getting very sick and dying.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
"could have" ???

nothing like a good old media induced panic

I remember back when the media used to check their facts prior to publishing articles

strider

Post Whore
People still don’t get it. Being vaccinated stops you getting very sick and dying.

I guess they are alluding to the vaccinated not likely to spread thing people still seem to think supports mandates.

Similar to the fully vaccinated people who brought the omnibots here and kindly shared it round.

Vax for your own health, dont kid yourself you are protecting everyone else.

Bandwagon

Staff member
"could have" ???

nothing like a good old media induced panic

I remember back when the media used to check their facts prior to publishing articles

TBF, I think the cases are announced far in advance of the results of genetic sequencing tests confirming the variant, if those tests are done at all ( I've no idea what % of + tests are then re-tested for variant )

Gronk

Staff member
I guess they are alluding to the vaccinated not likely to spread thing people still seem to think supports mandates.

Similar to the fully vaccinated people who brought the omnibots here and kindly shared it round.

What you are saying would correct only if there was a control group of unvaccinated party goers and were exposed to the same amount of the virus. Only then would you have the data that qualifies the premise that being vaccinated does not protect etc.

Until then, science says that it does.

strider

Post Whore
What you are saying would correct only if there was a control group of unvaccinated party goers and were exposed to the same amount of the virus. Only then would you have the data that qualifies the premise that being vaccinated does not protect etc.

Until then, science says that it does.
Well no. The fact that vaccinated people are clearly spreading it shows there is a risk of infecting others, so they shouldnt be treated like they wont.

Bandwagon

Staff member

Any vaccination, like every other medical intervention isn't perfect, some less than others obviously. Where this kind of statement is poorly rooted in fact, is that it's attempting to deal in absolutes, rather than degrees. The basis being you can contract the virus, and then pass it on despite being vaccinated, ergo being vaccinated only protects the individual that is vaccinated.

That's simply not the case though, and is a misrepresentation of how vaccination works, it doesn't eradicate the risk of disease, it lessens it. In order to eradicate the disease from a community, you need enough folks vaxxed so as to reduce the risk of infection to the point where anyone who contracts the disease isn't passing it on to enough folk for it to grow in prevalence. At some point, depending on the efficacy of the vax it's self, and the number of folks vaccinated, prevalence will drop in accordance with risk.

If vaccination rates aren't high enough in relation to efficacy, then the disease will continue to spread ( all else being equal ) This is where we are now.

If you stop and think about exactly how a vaccine "works", you can easily see the the flaws in these kind of arguments. Vaccines create "memory" in your immune system in order for it to be able to deal with a virus if it detects it in your system. In other words, for a vaccine to do what it does ( deal with a disease ) it must detect the virus in your system, and in order for there to be a virus to detect, there must be transmission of that virus.

Gronk

Staff member
Well no. The fact that vaccinated people are clearly spreading it shows there is a risk of infecting others, so they shouldnt be treated like they wont.
No, we are talking about the benefits of being vaccinated. For your personal health (I assmue) is not in dispute. For the protection of others is most definitely a thing, however you seem to think differently. So let's say that boat full of 250 vaccinated ravers means that 5 people get it. However with a boat full of unvaccinated ^^^^ ravers and 15/25/50+ people get it (which is the plausible scientific outcome), what is the likely gov position in an environment where we are "trying to live with the virus" ?

strider

Post Whore
No, we are talking about the benefits of being vaccinated. For your personal health (I assmue) is not in dispute. For the protection of others is most definitely a thing, however you seem to think differently. So let's say that boat full of 250 vaccinated ravers means that 5 people get it. However with a boat full of unvaccinated ^^^^ ravers and 15/25/50+ people get it (which is the plausible scientific outcome), what is the likely gov position in an environment where we are "trying to live with the virus" ?
as always, the the people who "get it" are just the ones we know of who get tested .... how many "have it" but never get tested - cos they think they are bullet proof

there's been studies that show vax spread like unvaxed - when you actually test them all

Latest posts