What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seasons 2020 - 22 COVID-19 discussion thread

IFR33K

Coach
It’s pretty obvious what I am suggesting (not arguing) and I am actually trying to better understand what you have raised.

So let me see if I understand what your issue is. Is it testing?

So we need to test every Dr that visits a patient and every person that goes to a cafe and if the test proves they are OK then happy days?

What do you propose we do about the injustices that you’ve raised?

Some People are testing every 3 days to leave their lga for work, and some of these workers are deemed essential. Yet they’ll be denied access to the most basic of freedoms because they won’t jab at this stage.

Eelogical

Coach
So, after all the argy-bargy and hyperbole, here's my take. A time will come when we open up to some form of normality. If I'm in a social gathering with 12 other merkins (6 vaxxed, 6 unvaxxed), I'm not going to be bothered if none, some, or all have the 'rona. I'm as likely to catch it anywhere, I won't be any worse off if I get it from an unvaxxed merkin or a vaxxed merkin. I've had my shots, the rest is a lottery.

eels_fan

Bench
Vaccine passports will last as long as it takes to get on top of the pandemic. It won't last for ever (bold unsourced unconfident statement), so those who do not have access to the local Thai resturant will just have to make do with take away. Pretty much what we're all doing now.
i give it max 6 months before the passports are irrelevant. The apathy will set in and people wont bother checking them (just as they dont check if you QR in at 99% of places anymore in QLD) and there will be that many bogus/fraudulent passports that it will be a nightmare to manage.

Other countries are already getting rid of them, we're just a few months behind

Gary Gutful

Immortal
Some People are testing every 3 days to leave their lga for work, and some of these workers are deemed essential. Yet they’ll be denied access to the most basic of freedoms because they won’t jab at this stage.
Is every 3 days enough?

You can quickly become infectious the following day after a test.

You’re happy to accept that risk? Surely we can agree that it’s not without risk?

Also very f**ken hard to check compared to whether someone is vaccinated.

You’d be happy to submit to regular (I.e virtually daily) testing if it meant you could get a coffee?

Or would you consider that overreach?

Again, not arguing just trying to understand your position but to me it seems highly inefficient.

hindy111

Immortal
My neighbour in my building here in the city is a surgeon. He likes fly fishing. He said that being unvaccinated is like going out fishing in a storm and getting drenched. Being vaccinated is like going out in a storm with your waist-high waders, hat, gumboots and gloves. He said you might still get a little wet, but it won't be enough to bother most people.

I don't want to go fishing. And f**ked if I'd be going out in the rain. Cup of tea and tv thanks.

hindy111

Immortal
The underlying motive for most people getting it is a return to some level of normality.

Stands to reason that those people will be looking to enjoy their lives once restrictions are lifted.

But there is always a risk I guess. Even vaccinated merkins can get sick and die.

I have friends who growing up would sniff all sorts of stuff. Pop all sorts of tablets. They had no worries and knew that the fun they'd have outweighed the risk. Yet some won't touch the Vax.
I feel like a few people I know it is more they don't like being told what to do more then anything else. They want to be the big man and be in control and hate authority.

hindy111

Immortal
So, after all the argy-bargy and hyperbole, here's my take. A time will come when we open up to some form of normality. If I'm in a social gathering with 12 other merkins (6 vaxxed, 6 unvaxxed), I'm not going to be bothered if none, some, or all have the 'rona. I'm as likely to catch it anywhere, I won't be any worse off if I get it from an unvaxxed merkin or a vaxxed merkin. I've had my shots, the rest is a lottery.

Whats top prize? I might buy a ticket.

hindy111

Immortal
i give it max 6 months before the passports are irrelevant. The apathy will set in and people wont bother checking them (just as they dont check if you QR in at 99% of places anymore in QLD) and there will be that many bogus/fraudulent passports that it will be a nightmare to manage.

Other countries are already getting rid of them, we're just a few months behind

6 weeks

hindy111

Immortal
Is every 3 days enough?

You can quickly become infectious the following day after a test.

You’re happy to accept that risk? Surely we can agree that it’s not without risk?

Also very f**ken hard to check compared to whether someone is vaccinated.

You’d be happy to submit to regular (I.e virtually daily) testing if it meant you could get a coffee?

Or would you consider that overreach?

Again, not arguing just trying to understand your position but to me it seems highly inefficient.

I'd go instant. And as I said before I have no issue with instant coffee. f**k the froth

Suitman

Post Whore
@Suitman i seen you like Gary’s post. How would you feel about the situation if the doctor (god forbid) infected your parents?

I would be horrified but what can we do?

Tbh, mate, I'm so over this discussion and I'm so over covid and so over the life we are living atm.
I'm double vaxed and am fine with that but life is still getting me down. Have seen my parents twice since last Christmas.
Have only seen one of my brothers 3 times in the past few months, and none of the others, nor my sister since last Christmas.
I rarely get to see the kids.
I'm f**king over it all.
Work, eat, sleep is my daily routine. Day after day. Groundhog day if you like. I'm kinda lucky because I can still work on the building site daily, but that does nothing for ones mental health when there is no life outside of that.
My garbage bins go out more than I do ffs!

Bandwagon

Staff member
The Govt will back down on mandates for restaurants, sports, concerts as quickly as it is implemented. I give it 6 weeks maximum.

Businesses can't/won't manage that process - it's costly to implement, a pain in the ass operationally to stay on top of, and the risk of arguments/violence too high.

Barillaro basically admitted the other day that at 80% they'll just let everyone do what they want for the most part. They wont come out and unequivocally say that now - as they know that will put a speed bump in the vax rates, as the only reason many people are allowing themselves to be coerced into getting the jab is because the govt makes them believe they'll be an outcast from society. As soon as the narrative turns to one of truth, the ass will fall out of vax numbers, so they going hard for all its worth from now until "Freedom (Segregation) Day, and then shortly after, the mandates will disappear (aside from critical care/quarantine workers etc).

Sure some business may choose to move forward with a vax only customer policy - but it wont last when they start losing market share. When the government is no longer stipulating that you can only let certain people into your business, but you choose to continue to enforce restrictions on certain groups in society - the only outcome is a backlash and a hit to the hip pocket.

I was thinking it'd run for around three weeks, the mandate on staff being vaccinated will last a helluva lot longer.

Latest posts