What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seasons 2020 - 22 COVID-19 discussion thread

was talking to my neighbour today ... he just got back from queensland - had been ther about 5 weeks ... his dad passed away

I talked to him weeks ago - they had decided to put his dad in palliative care ... was struggling to get an exemption to be allowed up there .... eventually got it after days of tests to prove he wasn't infected - had to fly, not allowed to drive - 14 days quarantine - but there was no chance his dad was gonna survive that long .... so they allowed him to go visit one day - had to put on full PPE - ambulance came and drove him to where his dad was .... when he got there, had to change out of the PPE into, a new set of PPE (wtf?) ... could go to the room where his dad was, but no others allowed in at same time (mum, sister who live in qld) - wasn't allowed to interact with any of them .... had to stand on far side of room from dad (don't wanna give the person about to die the covid you don't have) - dad was unconcious - so it was all kinda pointless anyway

feel sorry for people having to go through this kinda of shit
Absolutely crazy. Clown world.

Bandwagon

Staff member

Meh, each to their own, I could have answered it with a predetermined position, and I'm willing to bet I could argue that to your satisfaction, but if one is to be honest in ones position, then that would have necessitated an assumption that that position is infallible.

Unfortunately I lack the zealotry in my beliefs required to make such an assumption. Instead I am subject to questioning them knowing that there is far too much information that is unknown.

Hence the delineation between the ease and difficulty with which one might assess the short term vs the long term.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Because of the immuno suppression following the vax, which leads to more likelihood of catching the virus, among other things.
And there are places that the increasing deaths are occurring at the same time as the vax rollout but before any relaxing of restrictions.

The Immuno-suppression is far too short lived to be meaningful, the time span doesn't exactly lend it's self to producing significant statistical results as compared to say being unvaxxed over anything more than a week or so.

And everywhere that is rolling out the vax is also subject to any other number of variables. Given the vax is being rolled out everywhere to varying degrees, you are going to get places with all kind of mixed results. Because it's literally a very mixed bag of measures across the world.

Meh, each to their own, I could have answered it with a predetermined position, and I'm willing to bet I could argue that to your satisfaction, but if one is to be honest in ones position, then that would have necessitated an assumption that that position is infallible.

Unfortunately I lack the zealotry in my beliefs required to make such an assumption. Instead I am subject to questioning them knowing that there is far too much information that is unknown.

Hence the delineation between the ease and difficulty with which one might assess the short term vs the long term.
What long term consequences do you expect Sweden to face?

Bandwagon

Staff member
What long term consequences do you expect Sweden to face?

Rather than answer that question, because in truth I have no expectation, I'll take the opportunity to expand what I'm saying.

Let's assume for a moment there is an endpoint, where every single approach and all combinations of approaches have been tried, tested, and measured against each other, from which we then can ascertain which measure or combination of measures can be compared.

What exactly does that look like?

It may well look like a bunch of shit sandwiches with each slightly more shitty than the last, or it may well be quite the opposite.

It may well turn out that simply letting it rip long term has the best endpoint, It may well be that elimination until total vaccination does, or any number of measures in between.

Knowing with absolute confidence where we have f**ked up, requires knowing the endpoint and where that might have been had we not f**ked up. What we see now as a f**k up, might well be dumb luck that changes the outcome for the better.

I'm equally happy to argue the minutiae as we do, but I thought the question a good one, and thus deserving of a tad more than that.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I'm not really sure what you're saying. The immune suppression can last a couple of weeks. And plenty of experts have warned about the danger of vaxxing during a pandemic.

A couple of weeks reduced, as opposed to ??? amount of time increased, where does the balance of probability lie?

I'd suggest it lies firmly in the latter, simply because time creates greater opportunity. And a lack of time reduces opportunity.

And as we know vax rollout doesn't really correspond to the level of threat but rather what deal your government did with the makers.

I think we're getting somewhere close to agreement, there's variables, plenty of them, so blanket statements taking into account only one or two of those are fairly meaning less.

hindy111

Immortal
Being able to live like you used to.

I'm half enjoying the new life tbh. Had a few down points but gee sleep ins, barely working, money for nothing, a coffee in the sun, not having to shave or worry about appearance.
It's like I am on holidays from reality. Will be hard to shake. I've been doing a lot of thinking also with my free time.

hindy111

Immortal
You’ve nailed it Hindy111. Big factor in my mind.

That’s how I viewed the world 20 years ago. After spending time with decision makers and being part of the process my views have changed.

It is more I could pick friends who was going to refuse the safety medicine based on characters.
Sure a few like myself where questioning it. But I know a few who won't touch it and carrying on and get aggressive when try an have a rational discussion.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
You aren't very smart. If you were trying to typecast us you would have had us both agreeing with each other and sucking each others c**ks.

Thats where @hineyrulz would have taken it and why he has commanded more respect over the years.
I agree when this statement you c**k sucking merkins. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Did I do the emoji thingy right??

Gronk

Staff member
But you are on social media trying to influence people's decisions. So I guess we should be telling you to stay in your lane. I didn't mention anything about childhood vaccines.
You’re trying to spin this into a gotcha. Old mate next door is not trying to sway opinions. In context, we were talking about innocuous childhood illnesses that we all take for granted.

Gronk

Staff member
I have friends who growing up would sniff all sorts of stuff. Pop all sorts of tablets. They had no worries and knew that the fun they'd have outweighed the risk. Yet some won't touch the Vax.
I feel like a few people I know it is more they don't like being told what to do more then anything else. They want to be the big man and be in control and hate authority.
I have a person in my circle who was tested for compatibility to donate a kidney for one if his siblings. Years later he wont get vaccinated to protect his 78 year old mother that he lives with, citing unknown risks.

Last edited:

Latest posts