What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sebastian Amigas

girvie

Staff member
Sebastian Amigas is a French prop from Toulouse who is coming to Australia to play Premier League for the Bears next year.

He played for France in the 2005 Student World Cup.

I was wondering has anyone heard of him?

How strong is the French competition?

Is Toulouse a good side?

Could he be a good player in Premier League?

Jeffles

Bench
Toulouse made a Challenge Cup semi final in 2005. They are one of the better teams in the Franch competition, a competition at best on par with PL or slightly inferior. Going by that, if he applies himself he could go well. Home sickness will be a bit of a problem. Newtown had a French player Matthieu Julia. He showed promise but then got injured and decided to travel. I'd be getting in touch with some French community organisations in Australia to see where he can link up.

ali

Bench
Toulouse is no doubt the second strongest club in France with a budget in excess of $1m AUD. In general France seems to have better forwards than backs so he may go alright.

girvie

Staff member
Thanks for the info. It sounds like he might go alright and could possibly be a bolter to play NRL.

Do you think that if he establishes himself in Premier League would it give him a pretty good chance at making the French National side?

Jeffles

Bench
He could play for Souths and establishing yourself in PL could make you a bolter from France, though with more Frenchmen playing SL it will be harder to get a look in.

brad58

Juniors
I believe Sebastian Amigas played in the Illawarra comp for the final part of this year with the Collegians side, as he was brought down to Wollongong by Joel Caine who had been overseas.
Not having seen him play i am unsure at what he is trully capable of but im sure he is probably a good signing.

Sebastien Amigas played for Collegians with David Delpoux. He did not stand out and if he can crack premier league, then half the Illawarra comp could also do so. Ramon Filipine is a far superior player and I'm amazed that Norths have signed Amigas.
If Delpoux and Amigas are leading players in the French comp I would expect the Dapto Canaries to soundly defeat Toulouse Olympic.

LINKS OF STEEL - WORLDS BIGGEST RUGBY LEAGUE LINKS PAGE
www.concreteboots.com/australian_rugby_league_sites.htm

girvie

Staff member
It looks like it might be a challenge for him to make the final squad.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
Toulouse is leading the French domestic competition and is a near certainty to join Super League in 2009.

David Delpoux is a better player than Amigas. Did he do well in Illawarra?

This was a baffling, moronic and misguided multi-pronged attack by someone with an obvious anger management problem. I can't belive I have to defend so many separate unrelated issues when all I did was try to play down the hopes of these people who were questioning if Sebastien Amiges could stand out in premier league to the point he would be considered for selection in South Sydney's first grade team.
Firstly - "you may change your opinion if toulouse star players seb raguin, damien couturier, james wynne & slyvain houles played in your comp".
No idiot I would not change my opinion that one player (Sebastien Amigas) could make it in the NRL if the following players played in our comp, regardless of how well those other players went. It is an insulting claim which has zero intellectual merit. How many longnecks did it take to come up with that howler? Or are you talking about Dapto's ability to beat Toulouse? I'd still back the Canaries featuring Matt Rieck, Adrian Rainey, Jason Kent and Justin Holbrook. The respective history and strengths of the two comps is totally irrelevant. How a throwaway line could arouse so much hatred has not only myself, but everyone I've shown absolutely flabbergasted.

As builder of the XIII Actif site, I am well aware of the state of rugby league in France and why it is clinging to a handful of southern French cities. I don't see how the popularity of Toulouse rugby league has in any way to do with the ability of any player to play NRL.
"Geoff Blinkhorn former Limoux coach & ex Orange Hawks coach told me that talent wise there was some super talent, but the gap between super & sh*t was about nrl to country rugby league & that the top clubs could be competitve in superleague."

Again a bewildering paragragh of irrelevance. For the record, my cousin (former Warrington and current AIS coach) Brian Johnson just came back from another 4 match tour of England and France and gave me a complete run down of the state of the game at the family xmas bbq on Saturday. I am quite aware of the situation - it has nothing whatsoever to do with my post.

But the stupidity of the tirade of diatribe above looks like the work of Einstein compared to your final spray.

"While you may think illawarra is the ants pants, the western divsion boys always have your measure because they are tougher in the divsional champs (crl), tell me is curry puff mark duncan still getting about, jeez he set the world on fire when out in group 10"
The whole point of my post was not to say that the Illawarra is the 'ants pants' but to put in perspective how well a player has to go in our league to step up to premier league, let alone NRL. To do so, a player has to be an absolute stand out like Aaron Beath or Donny Tweddle. Amiges was solid but did not grab anyone's attention on the field. This is acknowledging the position of the Illawarra league, relevant to premier league and NRL. And to end it with a slanderous attack on Mark Duncan, who was a far superior player to Amiges in our league, and would be regarded as such by anyone who watched both players perform. How you can slip the boot into Duncan while answering as to whether Amigas can play NRL?

That is the epitome of "bagging a player out", calling him a cream puff. I didn't bag Amigas at all, I was just trying to stop these readers from getting too excited about this blokes prospects. The team he played with here (Collegians) are one of the most professionally run clubs outside of the NRL, they spend well over 200k on football alone and have a solid infrastructure in place. He was popular with women, he is very big and playing in a third division comp. Therefore he had everything going for him. Despite all of this he did not set the world on fire and in fact started in reserve grade a few times. Therefore, to suddenly step up to NRL level will need a massive jump in form.

So big is that jump, it is hard to see it happening. This does not mean I don't to want to see it happen. I would love to see him and Delpoux rise to NRL standard. I did not at any time bag this guy. I am a huge fan of second division rugby league and there are many greatly talented players playing all over the place outside the NRL. Just because Amigas is not NRL standard does not mean I think he is a bad player. He is just not at that level. Someone came on and asked what his chances were. I told them and was backed up by another post. Not only that but local journalists and even a team mate expressed shock he had been picked up by the Bears.

Then I had to read this vitriol. If you are going to engage in ridiculous attacks on people like Mark Duncan, at least have the backbone to put your name online 'Eddie'. Unlike yourself who his hiding behind a nickname with only a christian name on profile, I have my name, photo and mobile number online.

les amber

Juniors
Mark is a good mate of mine, as his is his family.

The guy can play, i spent a couple of years with him at Kiama.

The bloke who wrote this is the nuffy..

winnyason

Juniors
fair enough point taken guys, but why bag a game about as strong as 2nd division illawarra.fair enough overstepped mark with mark duncan i did play against him in my blayney bears days, with pull out post guys, apologies.
facts are mark duncan is a exceptional player who played rep, i said it to get a response because arrogant comments bagging a guy who flew halfway across the globe to follow his dream or comments such as dapto should when the french league is very small minded, how about talking about how to improve game in france rather than bag it, my comment was simply tit for tat & get a reponse.

Thanks - I too have wrote things I wished I hadn't. I was expecting another spray so I was happy to see the post removed - you obviously have passion for the game in France. We need somone like that at XIII Actif. Got a Kiwi spokesperson and will be starting our campaign in the new year.

I'll also remove the caps from my forum name as it looks as though I'm shouting at everyone.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
ILLAWARRA RUGBY LEAGUE said:
As builder of the XIII Actif site, I am well aware of the state of rugby league in France and why it is clinging to a handful of southern French cities..... For the record, my cousin (former Warrington and current AIS coach) Brian Johnson just came back from another 4 match tour of England and France and gave me a complete run down of the state of the game at the family xmas bbq on Saturday. I am quite aware of the situation - it has nothing whatsoever to do with my post.

I would be interested to hear Brian Johnson's view of the state of rugby league in France. Are you at liberty to tell us? I am familiar with the quality of Les Catalans players. But who in particular, if any, in the French Elite comp, does he rate highly?

winnyason

Juniors
cheers, illawarra, sorry to bag a guy who can play like mark duncan, just well have a real passion for french rugby league. simply they were wronged, it is bullsh*t, it is a miracle they have a superleague team. talk of toulouse may be a little premature from reports of the state of the french game. would love to be invovled with your group in some way , my mates get spun out by my knowledge of the french game but simply it is a farce it