What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second half penalties

Get yourself some sportsears and you can hear how biased the refs are every week
Last night Perenara called Klemmer to get square at marker then allowed him to make the tackle with no consequences in the 2nd half and in penalty goal range.
Pretty sure we got pinged twice for that last night

Kornstar

Coach
In most games but notably the panthers, dragons, raiders, rabbits and last night's game the opposition has been allowed to assault us in the ruck whether it be second efforts, hands on the ball or even just laying on top of the ball carrier. Yet it seems like once we have 2 in the tackle the ref wants to call held and for us to move away quickly, if not, penalty. They're also then allowed to take 2 steps forward and 1 step to the side to make our markers not square.

Would also like to point out that the only reason we got a penalty against the dragons was because Kenny stayed down after an obvious crusher tackle. If it wasn't for Kenny hamming it up I believe we would have gone 80 minutes without receiving a penalty.

It's amazing how teams all of a sudden become extremely disciplined against us.

You forgot the Sharks game too.........not only were they allowed to assault us in the ruck but they were at least 5 metres offside most of the game. Probably the worst i've ever seen in a game tbh.

It was astonishing though that the way that the Dogs channelled the QLD origin team last night that they didn't concede one penalty in 40 mins........Our penalties came early for a professional foul against us and then a few right before half time as they didn't want us to score.......otherwise for like 75 minutes the Dogs were perfect!

Just a continuation of the treatment from last year - but nothing is said in the press conferences so nothing will change

He has digs in the press conference all the time, he doesn't need to abuse the refs to get his point across.

Stats just further proving the point that the refs seems to favour the team behind to even the game up.

Except when it is us, we get SFA of them anytime.

What about when Guth got held up for about a week on the 5th tackle when Normie then grubered, no penalty for us but that merkin Perenara couldn't wait to blow an offside penalty. Never saw a replay either.

I don't for a minute believe they do it deliberately but i still maintain that they unconsciously know the teams that are seen as "tough" or "hard" and referee accordingly.

Teams like the Dogs, Storm and Sharks have built themselves this way over periods of time so they can infringe a lot more because that is their "normal" play.

Teams like us, Tigers and Newcastle just can't get away with it because we haven't earned it in the referees eyes or public opinion.

With that comes our (supporters) mind set that we are too small and need to get BIG players to compensate. While this may be true that we need a bigger body to compliment the rest of our pack we also need to cut out the silly errors that are in our game that cause us to continually put the team under pressure and defend for longer periods which fatigues us which leads to us getting dominated more in tackles.

We have won 9 games this year, we are heading in the right direction and injuries have been incredibly cruel to us this year. Pritchard will bring some size when he returns as will Vave.

Are we contenders this year? No way. Could we make the finals and fluke a week 1 win against any of the bottom 4, absolutely! Our gaol this year is to make the finals and considering the year that was last year and not knowing our cap position until late in the season making the finals is a massive step and confidence boost. Next year with the current squad and signings we will be more competitive and i am positive the signings haven't stopped. Will we get a JWH or Fafita type prop? Probably not cause they are few and far between but Evans is a start.

Oh and i do think we were offside on that play, looked on the replay like a couple of them went too early.........

Kornstar

Coach
Get yourself some sportsears and you can hear how biased the refs are every week
Last night Perenara called Klemmer to get square at marker then allowed him to make the tackle with no consequences in the 2nd half and in penalty goal range.

How often do we get offside penalties against the opposition? It feels very rare these days.

Is it true last night that when French kicked through to score that the ref asked if he was onside? Saw it on twitter but just wondering if it came through on sports ears?

Mate at the game last night made an interesting comment...
"Channel Nine need Thursday night games to be exciting and close so no one switches channels before the end."

Kinda like ARLC need bums on seats at Suncorp for Origin III
yes i have been saying the same things for a week now.
A lot of FTA ch9 games that one team is 10 points or more infront at halftime the opposition seem to get all the 50/50 call in the 2nd half to try to get them back into the game.
9's ratings are down and were down in the last 20mins of games so this is how to solve it make the game closer so people are less likely to switch off.
NRL is not what it was and things are being manipulated so it works best for the business not the actual product of the game. People will turn off more and more if the refs continue like they have the last 4-6 weeks.
I pretty much only watch eels games now because of it.

there was plenty of times in the 2nd half when we should have got a penalty, Klemmer pushed who ever was playing the ball down, no penalty, kasiano was not marking straight called out and still made the tackle, no penalty.
Kasiano even dropped the ball in the play of the ball but refs missed it and then Reynolds attempted trip is let go. Should have had a penalty try in the 3rd minute.
Then the penalty we get in golden point is a 50/50 one. Could have been a case for him lossing the ball.
Not happy with the NRL at present and seems plenty of others aren't ethier.
Merchandise sales are way down on past year.

84 Baby

Referee
Then the penalty we get in golden point is a 50/50 one.
Don't get sucked in to the hype. It was identical to our first penalty of the game, hands all over the ball well after tackle finished. The only issue was Perenara initially called knock on

Forty20

First Grade

And pinged after the Dogs shifted the play-the-ball off the mark to make our markers offside.

forward pass

Coach
We got the most important penalty of the game though !!

I agree with Strider, all the penalties we seem to get seem to be on their line when need them the least. We don't seem to get the ones that get us out of trouble. But I will say we seem to be shithouse at trying hit it up from our goal line. You have to string a few passes together - two at least, other wise you are sitting ducks. Hard to win penalties that way too.

forward pass

Coach
and also - you need a strong captain. That does actually help win penalties.

Last night Tolman spent minutes chatting to Perenara at half time when they were leaving the field - he seemed to be really remonstrating with him.

Result - no second half penalties against the dogs!!! You think refs aren't influenced?

oldmancraigy

Coach
Id be interested to know what time all the penalties happened in last nights game ... from watching at the game it felt like the dogs got a massive leg up each time coming out of their own end in the first half - we did well to hang in there

We got one minutes into the game, nearly a penalty try ... and one in extra time ... of our other 4 i reckon there was a short period where the dogs did the give away 3 penalties on the first tackle within the 10m zone to get your defense composed thing

ie ours were mostly in a small bunch and pointless ... theirs were constant pressure relievers

The shit thing is the only penalty any merkin is talking about is the one we got in extra time, which was f**kin blatant

I don't think Lichaa stripped the ball in the slightest.
HOWEVER the 2 tackles previous were 100% penalties. The only reason he gave the Lichaa decision as a 'strip' was because both Matagi and Moeroa got molested the prior 2 rucks in the play the ball for no result. Guilt overcame the ref and he blew the penalty.

Agree with whomever said they hate Perenara reffing us. From the games I have seen him referee other teams, he always holds the team leading the game to a higher standard, penalizes them more often and gives them less.
Would love some stats on that though - just a gut feel.

oldmancraigy

Coach
There was a tackle in the same extra time set we did get the penalty, where a bulldog merkin (i think their young 2nd rower) got up holding our player already almost in marker position. But wouldnt let go so a little wrestle happened where the dog got pushed a bit sideways. So he then held on and did a full 360 around our guy holding on the whole time so he could get back to marker .... how the f**k it was not a penalty is gob smacking

We also got penalised on goal line defence because they were holding our guys jumper and he was trying to get back to the goal line - couldn't get there, so took part in the next play. Why penalise the defender because the attacker is holding him!?!

Also, Kenny Edwards got penalised for not being square in the first half even though the guy playing the ball stepped a meter sideways to play it. Not a bad tactic I guess? Move sideways so the markers aren't square, then just run at them...

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
How often do we get offside penalties against the opposition? It feels very rare these days.

Is it true last night that when French kicked through to score that the ref asked if he was onside? Saw it on twitter but just wondering if it came through on sports ears?

Watched the highlights when I got home after the game. Dave Munro says "can we check the onside?" And perenara states "he was the kicker". The fact that he didn't know that should show everybody that he isn't to a first grade standard.

Kornstar

Coach
Watched the highlights when I got home after the game. Dave Munro says "can we check the onside?" And perenara states "he was the kicker". The fact that he didn't know that should show everybody that he isn't to a first grade standard.

That is downright embarrassing to be honest.

IFR33K

Coach
We got the most important penalty of the game though !!

I agree with Strider, all the penalties we seem to get seem to be on their line when need them the least. We don't seem to get the ones that get us out of trouble. But I will say we seem to be shithouse at trying hit it up from our goal line. You have to string a few passes together - two at least, other wise you are sitting ducks. Hard to win penalties that way too.

Melbourne will take advantage of us struggling out from our own half next week. BA needs to devise a new plan to ensure it doesn't happen again. Maybe a few passes will find some room out wide.

BoneyBlake17

Juniors
When it comes to captains intimidating the refs storm have cameron smith. Cowboys JT, sharks paul gallen while we have timmy mannah who couldnt intimidate a toddler

IFR33K

Coach
We also got penalised on goal line defence because they were holding our guys jumper and he was trying to get back to the goal line - couldn't get there, so took part in the next play. Why penalise the defender because the attacker is holding him!?!

Also, Kenny Edwards got penalised for not being square in the first half even though the guy playing the ball stepped a meter sideways to play it. Not a bad tactic I guess? Move sideways so the markers aren't square, then just run at them...

KE had ample opportunity to get square and failed. The ref called him offside and he still couldn't resist. A real dumb play by KE

Bazal

Post Whore

I think you'll find Henry goofed there, not Munro. There was a case that Moses was in front of the kicker and within ten. I think it was a try, but I don't reckon Munro wanted to check French. He saw how close Moses was