What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selections for South Africa and beyond

TIGER14

Bench
I think Paine and Wade are probably under the most pressure to keep their spots.

- Paine I don't mind keeping as a batsman on his last chance, but not as a wicketkeeper or captain.
- Wade I think is surely gone. We made a terrible decision dropping him before Travis Head.
- Starc didn't have a great series but we know what he is usually able to do so he keeps his spot but needs to improve.
- Lyon has also struggled but keeps his spot due to lack of other options only.
- Green was okay but needs to be able to take wickets. He can't be picked as an all-rounder without taking a wicket. He's bowled 264 deliveries without taking one, the last time this happened was in 1996 (Kasprowicz). His inability to take wickets meant our other bowlers had to take on a bigger workload (amount of overs) and got burnt out.

If we are bringing in a new keeper/batsman it has to be between McDermott/Phillipe/Carey
If we are replacing Wade too then Head should come straight back in.

The captaincy has to be given back to Steve Smith immediately.

Bazal

Post Whore
McDermott is literally Tasmania's fourth string keeper...

Steve Smith should never captain Australia again

simmo1

First Grade
Starc will be first to go as he is most easily replaced. Pattinson, Richardson, Neser - take your pick.

Wade's time is up. Is there any Sheffield Shield before South Africa? I'd give it to the best performer. I think the selectors will probably go with Head. I'd love to see Matt Renshaw have a big summer in Shield and come in. Sam Whiteman has been a quiet achiever the past 12 months and could be a smokie.

Paine will probably get the tap on the shoulder. Carey or Inglis to come in. Give the captaincy to Marnus because who else is there? Maybe Carey could debut as captain.

I'd begrudgingly keep Lyon, because I am not sold on Swepson.

Green should stay, he is for from our biggest worry, and is keeping nobody of note out of the side. Must be persevered with.

Coaching staff needs a massive clean out.

edabomb

First Grade
I think Paine and Wade are probably under the most pressure to keep their spots.

- Paine I don't mind keeping as a batsman on his last chance, but not as a wicketkeeper or captain.
- Wade I think is surely gone. We made a terrible decision dropping him before Travis Head.
- Starc didn't have a great series but we know what he is usually able to do so he keeps his spot but needs to improve.
- Lyon has also struggled but keeps his spot due to lack of other options only.
- Green was okay but needs to be able to take wickets. He can't be picked as an all-rounder without taking a wicket. He's bowled 264 deliveries without taking one, the last time this happened was in 1996 (Kasprowicz). His inability to take wickets meant our other bowlers had to take on a bigger workload (amount of overs) and got burnt out.

If we are bringing in a new keeper/batsman it has to be between McDermott/Phillipe/Carey
If we are replacing Wade too then Head should come straight back in.

The captaincy has to be given back to Steve Smith immediately.

Agree this wasn't the series to debut Green. Effectively carrying a passenger in Wade already, if Green had to be in the team he should have been at 5 with a genuine 5th bowler in his spot.

Wrong series to throw a youngster in.