What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Semi Final - Sharks vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 17th September 8:00pm @Allianz Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Pressure. It's at its most intense during a Finals Series and that pressure only builds as you go deeper and deeper into it. You can either lap it up, handle the pressure and march on, or you can let it consume you, chew you up and spit you out. As we enter Week 2 of this Finals Series, there's no doubt that the pressure is the greatest we've felt so far this year. Will we handle it? I don't know, time will tell. One thing I do know is that we can't be afraid of the pressure because it's pressure that turns a lump of coal into a diamond. We certainly came away with the diamonds in a high-pressure situation and I'm sure we're all hoping for the same this week.

We take on the Sharks in a massive Week 2 Semi Final out there at our 'home' ground, Allianz Stadium. It will be a monumental occasion as it's all on the line and the stakes have never been higher this year. No more if's or but's, you either do or you die. The winner progresses to a Prelim against the Panthers while the loser is sent packing. The pressure will be on.

It's going to be a huge challenge to progress to that Prelim on Saturday night that's for sure. Cronulla are the real deal this year I believe, and they are a genuine Premiership contender. They finished second on the ladder for a reason and they've been one of the best sides this year no doubt about it. When you look at their roster, it's not hard to see why. Strike all over the park such as Kennedy, Mulitalo, their strike center pairing, dynamic halves in Moylan and Hynes, all behind one of the best forward packs in the comp led by Graham, Finucane, Rudolf and Hunt. When you read out some of those names, you realise we're really up against it this week. They may have gone down in their Qualifying Final last week, but I think that makes them more dangerous this week as the bounce back factor will be there, and they'll be incredibly fired up. The key to this one is going to be holding their forward pack through the middle and limiting the chances you give Hynes and their dangerous outside backs.

For us, it's all about whether or not we can back up last week's performance. No doubt it was amazing, and it will be difficult to produce that two weeks in a row but the fact of the matter is, we need to. We need to come out firing and full of emotion, just like we did against the Roosters. Play like that, and we'll be very, very hard to beat. So, it all comes down to whether we can do it again. I know we can!! In Finals games like this, every single moment matters so it's important we win those moments. Hold the ball, complete your sets, take opportunities, show intensity in defence and make your tackles and finally, keep your head, keep your discipline. We are capable of doing all that on paper, it's now about putting it out there on the field when it really matters. Thankfully, Cronulla are not our absolute arch-rivals, so I don't expect this game to be as fiery but in saying that I still want us to be as emotional as we were against the Roosters because it's that kind of intensity that gets you home in the big games.

So, will we lap up the pressure or will we crumble under it? We will find out on Saturday night. What I do know, is that we can bloody do this! The belief is there, and we can create something special if we're on. Sharks are a big roadblock to get past but we are capable.
Let's gooooo!!

callmack1

Staff member

‘Teams are going to try to bait us’: Rabbitohs duo vow to avoid chaos​

By Caden Helmers

September 12, 2022 — 3.45pm

Cody Walker and Latrell Mitchell know they’ll be the target of wind-up attempts with premiership hopes on the line, but the South Sydney stars are adamant they will refuse to take the bait.

Rabbitohs five-eighth Walker declared Allianz Stadium is South Sydney’s home after they ended the Sydney Roosters’ season at the Moore Park venue that has become the site of a turf war between the NRL’s oldest rivals.

The Rabbitohs will return to Allianz Stadium to face Cronulla in a semi-final on Saturday night as Jason Demetriou’s squad looks to become the first team to win a premiership from outside the top four during the NRL era.

Walker and Mitchell will be key to South Sydney’s hopes, and the pair have vowed to avoid being lured into emotional warfare as rival teams look to unsettle the superstar duo.

“I think both of us are aware that teams are going to try to bait us and do that sort of stuff to us,” Walker said. “It’s about us being mature and not falling into that type of game and playing our style of footy.

That’s what we did [on Sunday].”

That Walker and Mitchell avoided the on-field chaos in an elimination final win over the Roosters - in which seven players were sin-binned and the Rabbitohs were twice reduced to 11 men - will not be lost on Demetriou.

Rival teams have often tried to unsettle the pair. Walker was targeted with sledges in last year’s grand final and refused to shake hands with Sharks forward Cam McInnes after a game earlier this year.

Mitchell was quiet after being booed by sections of the crowd during a round 25 loss to the Roosters, only to rebound a week later to ignite the Rabbitohs’ finals campaign.

“To have achieved what he has achieved in the game at only 25 years of age is pretty impressive,” Walker said. “Look at my journey, I wasn’t even playing first grade at that age. To see him bounce back and play the way he did, I was really proud of him.”

Sharks great Paul Gallen questioned whether the Rabbitohs will be able to rise to the occasion on an emotional level after back-to-back games against the Roosters, a match he likens to a grand final for the club dubbed the pride of the league.

But Walker is confident there will be “definitely not” be an issue in backing up against a top four side trying to bounce back from a 93-minute epic against North Queensland.

“I love this game of rugby league. Playing at home at Allianz will be good again,” Walker said.

“Obviously the soreness after a game is in your body at the moment but we’ve got a few days to recover and get ready for the Sharks. We understand they’re going to be hard to beat. When we played them last, it went to golden point. We understand it’s going to be a tough ask but we’re going to be ready.

“I don’t think you can discount anyone. It’s crazy how the first week of finals had those grudge matches. I think anyone could win it.”

callmack1

Staff member

Closed carparks add to finals challenges​

Scott BaileySeptember 12, 2022 4:39PM

Officials are bracing for a logistical nightmare ahead of Sydney's Saturday night finals double-header, with close to 1000 parking spots likely to be closed off due to recent rain and government legislation.

The AFL and NRL finals at the SCG and the adjacent Allianz Stadium loom as the biggest back-to-back events in Sydney since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, with close to 90,000 fans set to descend on the Moore Park precinct.

The night marks the first time major NRL and AFL matches have been played in close proximity since 2018, with Allianz Stadium only reopening earlier this month.

But, causing great concern for fans, situations have changed significantly since then.

Some 650 spaces on the grass fields opposite the SCG and Allianz Stadium became closed off in March, under the Greater Sydney Parklands Trust Act 2022.

The Lower Kippax section - closest to Allianz Stadium - is also currently shut off due to Sydney's wet weather, ruling out another 300 spots for cars.

If it were to remain closed, it would leave only the Sydney Showground field, which takes some 900 cars, open for the double-header.

"Event parking will be allocated on a first come, first serve basis," a Greater Sydney Parklands spokesperson said.

"The area currently reserved for parking on the grass at Moore Park has been significantly impacted by recent rain and parking for major events.

"As a result, the Lower Kippax section of Moore Park is currently closed.

"With more rain forecast for this week, further assessments will be carried out to ensure the safety of all Moore Park visitors.

"We continue to work with other government and non-government agencies to plan for large events at Moore Park to ensure they run as smoothly as possible."

The Entertainment Quarter carpark near Fox Studios is also operating at limited capacity, with one level of the 2000-spot multi-storey currently leased out by hyper karting.

NRL fans are likely to be those to suffer, with Greater Sydney Parklands confirming they would operate on a first-in, first-serve basis.

FIrst bounce for the AFL preliminary final between Sydney and Collingwood is 4:45pm, with the NRL pushing back kick off for Cronulla and South Sydney to 8pm to allow for a gap between matches.

Officials have, however, pointed to the fact Sydney's light rail is now operating, as opposed to when the two grounds last hosted events at the same time.

In turn, fans have been urged to use public transport .

The 48,000 at the SCG and 42,000 at Allianz Stadium will pale in comparison to when 123,000 packed into Moore Park in 1965 for a motor show, NSWRL grand final and Shute Shield rugby union match on the same day.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for the Semi Final against the Sharks,

1. Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Milne
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Nicholls
11. Koloamatangi
12. Arrow
13. Murray (C)

14. Nikorima
15. Sele
16. Burgess
17. Havili

Explains itself really, there won't be any unforced changes. Tom will be named I'd imagine, and we'll have to wait to see if he can successfully get his charge downgraded. If he is unsuccessful and is rubbed out, or takes the early guilty plea, I'd expect to see Moale come in in a straight swap.

The other option is to bring Chee-Kam in and give Arrow some minutes in the middle, but I think JD will go with Moale.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Here's my predicted line up for the Semi Final against the Sharks,

1. Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Milne
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Nicholls
11. Koloamatangi
12. Arrow
13. Murray (C)

14. Nikorima
15. Sele
16. Burgess
17. Havili

Explains itself really, there won't be any unforced changes. Tom will be named I'd imagine, and we'll have to wait to see if he can successfully get his charge downgraded. If he is unsuccessful and is rubbed out, or takes the early guilty plea, I'd expect to see Moale come in in a straight swap.

The other option is to bring Chee-Kam in and give Arrow some minutes in the middle, but I think JD will go with Moale.
Is Fifita injured?
I'd like to see him come in if Tom is suspended. I think his agility and ruck speed could work against the Sharks

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
ive been loving having Havili in the middle. I think he brings that added grunt off the bench.

The sharks are a funny one because theyve been quiet achievers all year like the cowboys. I just hope the boys have their mind focused on putting the sharks away and not looking at Penrith too early.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Line Up For Semi Final Against Sharks: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/09/13/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-semi-final-against-sharks/

Yewww what a team named once again! Very happy with that line up, basically named as expected. I am a little bit surprised that JD has named Chee-Kam in Tom's place, I thought Davvy would come in for a straight swap, but I have no complaints and that may still happen.

Tom will be a huge loss but otherwise, the side is exactly the same as last week.

A very strong team, close to the best we could possibly name! Bring on Saturday night!!

Hellray

Juniors
I think the bench is a little small to go up against so many big props of the sharks. Yes we will be more mobile but to we have the strength the get the hard yards when the game in is a grind.

Personally I hope we do bring Moale in on game day just to give us a little more size up the middle.
I also quietly wouldn’t be surprised to see Pistol Pete take kodis bench spot and cooky didn’t look 100 % on the weekend

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
ive been loving having Havili in the middle. I think he brings that added grunt off the bench.

The sharks are a funny one because theyve been quiet achievers all year like the cowboys. I just hope the boys have their mind focused on putting the sharks away and not looking at Penrith too early.
I think Havili has been the best of the newcomers this season.
Strong as an ox, low centre of gravity, allows him to make good yardage before the tacklers realise what going on, and has an offload in him

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors

Cronulla are very good on the edges. Strong with speed.
We will need to slow the play the ball, and force them to turn it inside

Latest posts