What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Series Name - Australia v France

The Partisan

Does anyone know what the name of the shield / cup played between the Aussies and Frogs is known as ? I can remember reading one of those KANGAROO TOUR books and seeing it mentioned but the name (and page !)
escapes me.

On the subject of books has there been any books on the British tours of Down Under or Aus in NZ ? Never seen or heard of any !!!

Big Bunny

Juniors
I'm not sure of any specific names, but the series between France and Australia was once classified as being for the Ashes. France having won them under Merquey in Australia and heralded in the local press as the "Ashes winning Frenchmen."

The Partisan

After some rummaging around I found this info to answer my own question.

Taken from ' The Kangaroos- the saga of Rugby leagues great tours' by Ian Heads it reads in reference to the 1956 Kangaroos:

'' At a time when French football was of the finest quality, the Kangaroos won all nine games, including the three Tests - to regain the City Tattersall's Cup, which the French had retained in Australia the previous year'' (Heads, 1994: 116)

May have to research a little bit more !!!

PS.I assume that no-one knew of any books of GB tours to Oz/NZ. Doh !