What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sex & Rugby League

About time someone had the kahones to write about this controversial side of the game. How ironic it was two broads.
Bloody well written too.
But how many heredidn't know of its existence? Seriously...
Dark side of the game
[url]www.smh.com.au[/url]
Rugby league is desperate to showcase its virtues as it bids for a return to its glory days. But it has yet to confront some demons within. Jessica Halloran and Jacquelin Magnay report.
She's often a "good sort", but maybe she's a bit of a "s**t". "You can tell if she wants a start," the Sydney-based rugby league player said. He should know. He's seen 10 players knock on a hotel door after a night out. Inside, he's seen two teammates having sex with a woman they had met that night. While he believes "it's OK" for a female fan to have sex with two players - when it is consensual, as he said it was with the case above - he hasn't seen a woman having sex with multiple players against her will. After the Bulldogs-Manly trial match in Coffs Harbour last month, a 42-year-old woman filed a sexual-assault complaint with local police. She had consensual sex with one Bulldogs player, but alleges she was very distressed when another player became involved. A third player was alleged to have been in the hotel room, but was simply an observer. Police have referred the case to the Director of Public Prosecutions, who will decide if there is sufficient evidence to lay charges. "I don't know what she is complaining about," said one former club "bun" or groupie, who used to make herself available for any of one club's players who asked. "I thought it was a great time." Pre-season trial games seem to be popular precursors to such crazy nights. Usually, teams are away from home and they have a spare night to drink. Heavily. "Players who are quite civil on their own suddenly become animals when they are drunk and in a pack situation," said one league insider. "It is the football widows I feel sorry for. Either they ignore what is going on and put it in the too-hard basket, or they don't care. "In rugby league, it is normal to treat women as second rate, as sex objects and as unintelligent." The "gang bang" has almost been a rite of passage in rugby league. So condoned has the act been in the past that one league coach encouraged his representative team to indulge in the practice in a bid to enhance the male-bonding process - although on that occasion prostitutes were paid to provide the service. It is a sleazy part of the off-field culture that, far from disappearing from the game, has thrived. But the players are quick to counter that they are the hunted, with teams of women ever present to deposit their mobile-phone numbers into their favourite players' hands. One player said when he first began his NRL career, he was amazed by the adulation and attention of women - before games, after games, at nightclubs. And he was left in no doubt many of these women wanted to have sex with players. A result of this behaviour is that he knows of at least two players who have been responsible for unplanned pregnancies. While league is focused on shoring up its supporter numbers amid ever-increasing threats from rugby union, Australian football and soccer, there is no competition when it comes to sexual harassment. The Australian Sports Commission's manager of sport ethics, Debbie Simms, says rugby league is responsible for the most sexual-harassment complaints. "On the basis of the number of sexual-harassment complaints we see, there is a far greater percentage that comes from rugby league rather than any other code, including other football codes," Simms said. "This tends to indicate a culture in rugby league that women are not treated with the respect they should be given. This is an area not challenged by many sports, and player education and awareness needs to be addressed." NRL chief executive David Gallop questioned the claim. "We have certainly never heard of such a statistic and if there is such data, we would be interested in them providing it to us," he said. "We conduct programs across all clubs through The Australian Training Company, which includes a range of issues from cultural awareness to gender issues. Our clubs are extremely responsible in terms of their obligations in educating players about issues off the football field." Last year, the Sharks travelled across the Tasman and were interviewed by police after a 19-year-old female kitchen hand made allegations of a sexual nature. New Zealand police travelled to Sydney to interview players and officials over two days but no charges were laid due to lack of evidence. After the Sharks complaint, one club called a team meeting and warned its players not to share women. After the Bulldogs incident, an official at another club told its players "to make sure the woman leaves happy and then she won't complain". Because convictions for sexual assault are notoriously difficult to obtain, many victims don't complain. Those that do may accept confidential settlements, which makes it difficult to grasp the extent of the problem. Some clubs have tried to distance women from the players to avoid problems. The Melbourne Storm sacked two cheerleaders in 1999 because of their steady and long-term relationships with players. But while the women lost their jobs, the players, Ben Roarty and Aaron Moule, suffered no penalties. One player who has been at several clubs said there was a seemingly endless number of young girls - "good sorts, not dogs" - willing to have sex. "Newcastle was pretty bad - one-team town," he said. " There are groups and groups of women everywhere at nightclubs chasing league players. Some of the players have 10 numbers in their phone and can just ring up." The player has a steady girlfriend and said he had not taken part in the "groupie" scene. While he admitted group sex did happen, he only knew of instances where the women had consented - and enjoyed it. "'No' - it means, 'No'," he said. However, even if that "no" is ignored, the player can rely on the club and his band of fellow leaguies to prop him up. Within the sport, there are numerous tales of women being paid off to shut up. And the players' mates, and the coach, are often their strongest allies. Take England coach John Kear in 2000 after one of his players, Francis Stephenson, had been charged with sexual assault. (He was later found not guilty). Kear was asked: "Francis Stephenson didn't play very much today. Can we read anything into that with regard to his recent history?" "Yeah, he's injured," Kear responded. "He's just got a groin injury, ironically." The "sharing" of women is not uncommon - but the fundamental issue is how league culture shows little or no respect for women. It is still a game dominated by men, even though the statistics show that women make up a large chunk of supporters - 43 per cent are female, according to research company Roy Morgan. Of that 43 per cent, the majority are aged from 14 to 24 and 35 to 49. The Manly Sea Eagles said they had made a strong attempt to include women more in their football club. Football manager Peter Peters said like the Australian Football League Players' Association (AFLPA), Manly had regular seminars on several subjects relating to women. "We have them during the pre-season, the off-season, the training is compulsory," Peters said. "We have a number of experts that come in to discuss those range of issues. We have our own minister who travels with us, to help the players out with decisions away from football. We are probably one of the league clubs that are more aware of women - we are very, very aware of our female fans." With their return to Brookvale Oval, the Sea Eagles have made a concerted effort to win over the female fans, with special seating and a "lounge" for women. And even away from the paddock, with their small-business classes for players, Manly have found female tutors encourage better behaviour from the players. "If we have female tutors, the boys are on better behaviour and concentrate better, no matter what the age of the tutor," Peters said. The AFLPA organises a series of seminars called Risky Business, designed to educate footballers about the sexual, health and legal risks associated with casual sex. The Australian Rugby Union has a program called "Players and the Law", which like the AFLPA seminars, aim to educate players. "The program is aimed to help players get out of difficult situations they might be confronted with in their social lives," an ARU spokesman said. One league player said his club did not have educational seminars, and that "commonsense" should prevail. But "commonsense" seems to disappear after the game, especially if it's being played out of town, and this behaviour continues to be overtly and covertly encouraged. In that regard, the sport is truly in a league of its own.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I really question the motives behind that article.
I mean, its at the beginning of the season and it's publishedstraight after the NRL launches an ad campaign to attract more women to watch the game.

When making accusations, the article mentions no names... thats when the warning bells go off.
It uses quotes from well known identities like, 'Sydney-based rugby league player' and 'former club "bun" or groupie'.

My favourite was from, 'one league insider.'... bugger me if this guy doent know everything there is to know about RL.

The article also loses credibility with claims that its only RL players who engage in seedy activities. RU gets a one or two line mention stating that they have some educational program in place... hardly the stuff of investigative journalism...

The article is gutter reporting at its worst... it makes no effort to properly explore the facts and focusses on tabloid reporting... the spicy stuff that rates well on Jerry Springer's daytime show.

Quite simply, the Sydney Morning Herald is a disgrace.

Sex is a common enough thing (I even tried it once) and people from all walks of life like to give it a go from time time... so whats the big deal? Perhaps the prude who wrote the article believes RL is constantly committingsexual taboos. Well if last time I checked, the biggest story about sexual taboos came out last year about a certain AFLcaptain and his team mate's wife... in the toilet or bathroomwasnt it? And yes, that sold very well indeed.

The SMH writer will no doubt point out that sex is fine as long as everyone consents... well yeah... thanks for stating the bloody obvious. Its truethat something untoward did happen in Coffs Harbour butthis is no way islolated to RL. It happens in every sport and in every industry.

Its an issue that has perpertrators and victims and the community deals with it every day... the article has done nothing to approach the actual core problems of assault and harrassment. Instead, the writer decides to point the finger at one industry and one sport.... thereby belittling the issueand showing no respect to the realities of sexual assault.

The article is way off-beam with the final line, 'In that regard, the sport is truly in a league of its own.'

imported_midas

Juniors
I agree with you,willow.(Yes,Mum,I have been taking my medication.No,Mum,I haven,t been getting stuck into the Grappa)
There was a similar article done about 18 months ago and yet another about a year before that,so it,s certainly not new.
Why would it take 2 scribblers to write this?They only interviewed 2 or three named sources plus another two or three un-named and probably imaginary,sources.
Well written?Geez you,re an easy marker RD.
Intriguing that the Australian sports Commission has all this data and yet David Gallop has never heard of it.One would think Ms Dim Simms would have an obligation to bring that sort of data to the attention of the NRL.
Sports groupies are nothing new and certainly not restricted to RL.tennis,cricket,golf,track & field ,swimming-they,ve all experienced it.
Purely on the basis of personal obsevation and anectdotal evidence ,I wpould be surprised if AFL didn,t outrate RL in this department.Could be wrong.
And once again I agree with willow (I know,Mum,I know .) The SMH is stooping pretty low with it,s anti-League campaign. 5 years of non-stop league-bashing and union -boosting and still they can,t take a trick.Must be slow learners.
Unfortunately the only alternative is the Daily Smellograph,so I,m off down the street to part with $2.20 for the Herald.

H

hutch

speaking of footy players and sex, does anybody else know who the ex rooster in the sex video is? i am not saying publicly say his name, but does anyone know who it is? i know who it is, but i dont think it would be right to broadcast it over the net. all i can say is that the player is with a lady who is not his wife. and no, i havnt seen it.........yet

Hey it's Elmo.......

i read the Article and i thought it was pretty funny........ oh PUHL-EASE!........... Sex happens every where.... it's good .... its bad....... it's controversial....... and well for Sex in League well i have seen it with my own eyes when i used to go out in the Gong at some of the local Nite Clubs i seen footy players hang out having their beers and yes get haressed by the Females or Footy Whores as i would like to call them.......
being a lady myself i don't find what is the big deal of trying toget a footy player in bed..... to me they are all Male, they have a penis and they think with it........ my atittude is that if a male wants to get in to my pants they have to get to know my brain, my heart before they get to know my "inner soul" i don't bloody care if they areBrad Pitt, Robbie Williams or even bloody Ryan Girdler aslong as they(all Men)treat me with respect, cortousy, and honesty they have won me
i had a friend who asked me to come with her to Newcastle i asked "what For?" and she answered "so i can sleep with Andrew Johns" i said to her "Take a number and step in line lovey every man and his dog want to get into Joeys pants" but still to this day she is obbsessed with Joey
emdgust.gif

I looke at Footy Players as normal human being and typical males i don't treat them any different.... just as long as my team is playing well winning games ..... i don't bloody care about how many women they have slept with i'm more interested in i'm more interested in the game.....
also being a lady i do have a bit of a perve on the boys but i'm just happy in meeting them getting an autograph and a photo with them thats it!!!!

berno

Juniors
I sent an email to the ASC representative who was quoted in the article. I queried the facts that the article presented. here is the relevant part of her reply:

"...While the ASC keeps information on harassment complaints brought to its
> notice, it is by no means a comprehensive or exhaustive database. The
> information as provided covers a wide range of harassment allegations that
> come to our attention, ranging from sexist or racist behaviour to sexual
> assault. Although I referred to this information, the context was around
the
> range and extent of harassment in sport and in no way was intended to
single
> out rugby league.
>
> In relation to whether any of the complaints were handled by police - this
> is condifential information and is dependent on the complaint, whether the
> behaviour was unlawful or a criminal offence and how the complaintant
wanted
> the complaint dealt with.
>
> It is unfortunate that the informtion given during the interview was not
> presented in a more contextual manner.
>
> The ASC has also written to the NRL.
>
> Regards
>
> Debbie Simms
> Senior Sports Consultant
> Sport Ethics & Fair Play
> Australian Sports Commission"

I have a feeling ths article was writen just waitingfor something like the Coffs harbour incident to happen. The present facts from a small sample & quote the ASC Sport's department representative out of context. I mean the ASC says "...While the ASC keeps information on harassment complaints brought to its notice, it is by no means a comprehensive or exhaustive database."

What on earth are these journalists banging on (excuse the pun) about. Is it something to discredit RL?
Does anyone know if the NRL has replied publicily to this article.

I think it is time for the NRL to sue Fairfax press

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well done berno :)

> It is unfortunate that the informtion given during the interview was not
> presented in a more contextual manner.

Thats a polite way of saying the article is full of crap.

R

roostergirl

Add BEER into that title & you have the trifecta lol ;)

C

CanadianSteve

Interesting to look back at this thread in light of the Bulldogs incident this year.