What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SG Ball and Harold Matthews results

esp if its the halves
Imho the Quinn/Ward halves combo are doing their job, it is our brittle middle defense and probable lack of ticker, ability and likely fitness from most of the forwards that is letting down the side. So I dont see any disruption to our playmaking. I'd keep both bookends Liu/ Webster and possibly Leikvoll. Probable promotions are Loko Jr, Latu, Ackers, Meafou and Williams. Possibles Halangahu, Te Moananui, Buchanan, Stanley -Traill, Afu, Tikinau/Fagalilo (2nd dummy half).

Last edited:

SaintWayne

Juniors
You can not promote all these guys into JF... the JF players arent that bad themselves. Buchannan and williams are certainties in the backs, halves are touch and go im not sure if reed or LKT will get promoted. Finally the forwards - webster, stewart and liu will 100% be there, then i would go loko, latu, ackers and halangahu. Meafou is out for the year otherwise he would probably be ahead of halangahu. what a great headache to have.

TheRev

Coach
You can not promote all these guys into JF... the JF players arent that bad themselves. Buchannan and williams are certainties in the backs, halves are touch and go im not sure if reed or LKT will get promoted. Finally the forwards - webster, stewart and liu will 100% be there, then i would go loko, latu, ackers and halangahu. Meafou is out for the year otherwise he would probably be ahead of halangahu. what a great headache to have.
Agree, thats why a couple of them may move into cup I suspect, either now or soon.. particularly if we get injuries in higher grades. quite a few of these dragons forwards are in our 1st grade squad next year.

I think Reed is earmarked as the future halfback, they will want him to keep developing.. where as a player like Glover or Ralph are just filling a temporary void, so if they think Quinn or Ward are up to it.. I reckon they can move 1 up to partner Marshke.. but its very disruptive... and again a few injuries change everything...

Is Meafou definitely out all NRL season? That's a shame.. he will miss a lot of development time, perhaps he will go around again in SG next year if young enough.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Daniel is only 17yrs old

plenty of time to recover and keep developing

he is a keeper

I suspect that he was 3 to 4 years away from genuine NRL

based on approx 6 guys in front of him in For a backrow spot

both couchmans
Latu
Stewart
Egan
Halangahu
Etc

You're right that he JF kids aren't bad. However, the club would already have made a decsion that most of them are expendable. It's a pretty tight filter going from JF up into full time training.They added a lot of SG Ball kids into Flegg at this time last year, and I think they'll do it again.

I suspect Reed and LKT will get a run ahead of the current Flegg halves. I agree on Buchanan and Williams. There are 8 spots in JF for forwatds so I think the SG Ball forwards will get a run too. Nick T., Stewart, Liu, and Webster will stay in the team. But there's still room for adding the kids. The other thing to keep in mind is that any injuries/suspensions in any of the top 3 grades will provide more opportunities

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
LKT is gun. He somehow made his KOE debut last year, and one game in particular against Raiders where he just carved

so if they think Quinn or Ward are up to it.. I reckon they can move 1 up to partner Marshke.
I'd have Glover over Marschke .. has no creativity, average defense and kicking, misses vital goal kicks too. Reed was mediocre in the Steelers meek capitulation two weeks ago. Ward on the other hand has been terrific in all games I have seen. He even kicked a 40/20 last match. Put some muscle onto that puny frame and he is my future half with Quinn, King Togia, Reed battling for the 5/8 spot.

Last edited:
.You can not promote all these guys into JF.
You have named the same guys as I did. All those in bold.
Buchannan and williams are certainties in the backs, halves are touch and go im not sure if reed or LKT will get promoted. Finally the forwards - webster, stewart and liu will 100% be there, then i would go loko, latu, ackers and halangahu.
I have Williams as my only back cert as the current JF backs are going fine.

Last edited:

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
i think two two truths

yes has all the above young Ackers and he moves and is shaped like a little a "mini Artie"

But the games I have seen ........Ackers does struggle to get back in the defensive line quick enough and or the second efforts to shape the opposition attack etc. Even in the Newcastle semi he was shuffling around "last" finding his spot in the defensive line quite a bit when on the goal line.

I suspect he probably needs to drop 5 or 6 kgs or replace with muscle and work harder on his fitness

Latu would be my starting Lock
Ackers of the bench still for more broken play
The same second rowers starting in Halangahu and Stanely-Traill

But really ........the good thing is not a lot between them as they all have a great baseline to springboard from. Hard and intense these boys ! Talented !

TheRev

Coach
Who do you see moving. And other than Meafou who are the best of the rest of the Steeler forwards that could make the jump to JF. Treweek?
I think the Steelers pack is a little bit under-rated.. even with all their injuries they gave the season a real shake.. but other than Meafou (whos injury means he misses the year anyway), I dont think anyone else is going near Flegg.. well.. not unless there are a lot more injuries.. 1 or both of the Amones and a Treweek do look good.. but the Dragons pack + Webster/Liu/Stewart who are already there.. there are no spots left.

But the ones to go straight to cup (or go soon when injuries occur), Williams, maybe a Buchanan (though hes a baby), possibly any of the halves, a Quinn/Ward/LKT, maybe not Reed due to size.. Ackers is in our NRL Dev squad, he could play cup, probably Tonga could play cup, Latu maybe.. Halangahu I think is skipping ahead.. I think there are quite a few.. someone just has to figure out the jigsaw to get as many playing as possible.

The bit that makes me nervous is if these guys play well, we have 1-3yrs where we have a bunch of blokes not playing 1st grade (probably) and being chased by other clubs.. itll be tough.. but hopefully Flanno will navigate it as best as possible.. and we secure the best of the batch.

Last edited:

TheRev

Coach
I'd have Glover over Marschke .. has no creativity, average defense and kicking, misses vital goal kicks too. Reed was mediocre in the Steelers meek capitulation two weeks ago. Ward on the other hand has been terrific in all games I have seen. He even kicked a 40/20 last match. Put some muscle onto that puny frame and he is my future half with Quinn, King Togia, Reed battling for the 5/8 spot.
Ooh I think Marshke is definitely the man to lead that cup team.. 5/8 of the year, 27yrs old and experienced.... strong boy, big boot.. but he shouldn't be goalkicking.. he just needs a week or 2 to get settled back into the role. I dont think Glover or Ralph are here longer term.. but it depends how quickly the JF halves are coming thru.

But I dunno if we will be able to retain Marshke beyond the year.. but right now hes our only depth for 1st grade.. I know Brown is here now too (straight off the boat so to speak), but he is our 14 and depth for hooker also.

But we definitely need a plan for a cup hooker and halves for next year, be curious to see what transpires.. and I think it depends how they go this year.. still 20 rounds to go.

Last edited:
I think the Steelers pack is a little bit under-rated.. even with all their injuries they gave the season a real shake.. but other than Meafou (whos injury means he misses the year anyway), I dont think anyone else is going near Flegg.. well.. not unless there are a lot more injuries.. 1 or both of the Amones and a Treweek do look good.. but the Dragons pack + Webster/Liu/Stewart who are already there.. there are no spots left.

But the ones to go straight to cup (or go soon when injuries occur), Williams, maybe a Buchanan (though hes a baby), possibly any of the halves, a Quinn/Ward/LKT, maybe not Reed due to size.. Ackers is in our NRL Dev squad, he could play cup, probably Tonga could play cup, Latu maybe.. Halangahu I think is skipping ahead.. I think there are quite a few.. someone just has to figure out the jigsaw to get as many playing as possible.

The bit that makes me nervous is if these guys play well, we have 1-3yrs where we have a bunch of blokes not playing 1st grade (probably) and being chased by other clubs.. itll be tough.. but hopefully Flanno will navigate it as best as possible.. and we secure the best of the batch.
Flanno doesn't love young forwards. That's why we got Frizell from Sharks all those years ago.

Marschke is top 30. He'll always play Cup if he's not in first grade. He's a good player. He's more of a 6 than a 7, though.

Reed is the one they have very high hopes for. He's got the most upside, and he will be given every opportunity. I think King-Togia will also be given chances. Ward is a good player, but I think Reed will go past him.

Dragon David

First Grade

As they say "you can't keep them all". A couple or more will slip through the net of which we either could regret or accept and they don't end up world beaters elsewhere in the comp.