What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SGI Squad

Crush

Coach
If Dragons merged with Raiders.
We win the comp.
1. Dufty
2. Cotric
3. Leilua
4. Aitken (yeah thats right)
5. Rapana
6.Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. Hodgson
10. Graham
11. Tapine
12. Frizz
13. JDB
14. Sims
15. Sims
16. Papali
17. McInnes

10 SGI players are off-contract in October 2019:
Dufty
Field
Kerr
Latimore
Lawrie
Lovodua
Masters
Nicholls
Robson
T Sims
Sailor
Quite a big number of players coming off contract, give the new coach something to work with - Benntt will weave magic with the opportunity to bring in some new players..
I wanna keep Lawrie, T Sims and Sailor. Dunno much about Lovodua? Add Marsters to that list. Looks a good prospect. Another Kiwi we have nurtured.

Drakon

Juniors
If we merged with the Roosters or Storm or a couple of others we'd win the comp too.....

possm

Coach
The real dilemma is going to be fitting Hayne, Norman and Oates into the team.

Hayne too fullback, Oates will stay at the Broncos for another season and move with Bennett at the end of 2019. We don't have a spot for Norman. I hope we keep Mann however, if we don't our two new wingers had better stand up and perform. My preferred back 5 would be:

1. Hayne
2. New winger
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. New winger

With Hayne, Lomax and the two new wingers we should have plenty in attack in 2019. With Hayne, Lafai and Lomax in defence hopefully our defence will improve on 2018.

To complete our 2019 squad I'd like to see us recruit an experienced first grade prop who is far superior to Latimore:

Vaughan
Graham
K Sims
New experienced first grade prop

ISP
Laurie
Kerr
Latimore

Prop rotation looking good. Maybe with this line up in 2019, there will be less chance of fatigue amongst our props.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I wanna keep Lawrie, T Sims and Sailor. Dunno much about Lovodua? Add Marsters to that list. Looks a good prospect. Another Kiwi we have nurtured.

Lovodua is a great young player. Can play as a forward, hooker or in the halves (though he is getting bigger now, so maybe not). He has played rep footy for Fiji even though he was still playing U20's.

He's on our DP squad and a keeper for sure.

Hayne too fullback, Oates will stay at the Broncos for another season and move with Bennett at the end of 2019. We don't have a spot for Norman. I hope we keep Mann however, if we don't our two new wingers had better stand up and perform. My preferred back 5 would be:

1. Hayne
2. New winger
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. New winger

With Hayne, Lomax and the two new wingers we should have plenty in attack in 2019. With Hayne, Lafai and Lomax in defence hopefully our defence will improve on 2018.

To complete our 2019 squad I'd like to see us recruit an experienced first grade prop who is far superior to Latimore:

Vaughan
Graham
K Sims
New experienced first grade prop

ISP
Laurie
Kerr
Latimore

Prop rotation looking good. Maybe with this line up in 2019, there will be less chance of fatigue amongst our props.
In Lawrie we have a ready made young prop who has been developing in the lower grades. What better mentors than Graham and Vaughan. I want it on the record I liked Nene and wanted him to stay. So who do we replace such an experienced winger with? Not Lomax I want him in the centre to replace dud Aitken.

Frank Facer

First Grade
If Dragons merged with Raiders.
We win the comp.
1. Dufty
2. Cotric
3. Leilua
4. Aitken (yeah thats right)
5. Rapana
6.Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. Hodgson
10. Graham
11. Tapine
12. Frizz
13. JDB
14. Sims
15. Sims
16. Papali
17. McInnes
So you would take Aitken over Lomax? lol

Simms was the best edge backrower in the comp and would have to be picked ahead of Tapine or Frizell.

Crush

Coach
So you would take Aitken over Lomax? lol

Simms was the best edge backrower in the comp and would have to be picked ahead of Tapine or Frizell.
I'd have Aitken and Lomax as our starting centres for SGI.
My team would be as follows.
1. Dufty
2. Pearson
3. Aitken
4. Lomax
5. Mann
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Sims
12. Friz
13. JDB
14. Robson
15. K. Sims
16. Leilua
17. Lawrie
What does your team look like Frank?

possm

Coach
1. Dufty
2. Pearson
3. Aitken
4. Lomax
5. Mann
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Sims
12. Friz
13. JDB
14. Robson
15. K. Sims
16. Leilua
17. Lawrie

Mann is a left side centre or winger and Lomax is a right side centre.

Gee the things people would do just to fit in Aitken.

Crush

Coach
Mann is a left side centre or winger and Lomax is a right side centre.

Gee the things people would do just to fit in Aitken.
OK Possm.
Without letting emotion get in the way (Aitken being the forum whipping boy and all) please explain why Lafai gets a run in your team over Aitken. But first see the below stats from 2018.
LAFAI
GAMES 26
TRIES: 6
TRY ASSISTS: 4
TACKLE BREAKS: 71
LINE BREAKS: 8
TACKLE EFFICIENCY: 83.2%
AVE RUN METERS: 103

AITKEN
GAMES: 23 (3 less than Lafai)
TRIES: 10 (4 more than Lafai)
TRY ASSISTS: 1 (This is his weakness)
TACKLE BREAKS: 74 (3 more than Lafai)
LINE BREAKS: 9 (1 more than Lafai)
TACKLE EFFICIENCY: 83.9% (more efficient defense than Lafai)
AVERAGE RUN METERS: 114.7 (11.7 better than Lafai per game)
Imagine what those stats would look like if Aitken played as many games as Lafai, he destroyed him!
Aitken was better in 2018 in every single way except try assists yet Lafai is a walk up starter and Aitken must be dropped?
Enough already. If you read the forum enough you'll believe Aitken is rubbish but the fact is he is better than Lafai, much better and therefore the starting centres next season should be Aitken and Lomax IMO.
Thanks.

possm

Coach
OK Possm.
Without letting emotion get in the way (Aitken being the forum whipping boy and all) please explain why Lafai gets a run in your team over Aitken. But first see the below stats from 2018.
LAFAI
GAMES 26

AITKEN
Imagine what those stats would look like if Aitken played as many games as Lafai, he destroyed him!
Aitken was better in 2018 in every single way except try assists yet Lafai is a walk up starter and Aitken must be dropped?
Enough already. If you read the forum enough you'll believe Aitken is rubbish but the fact is he is better than Lafai, much better and therefore the starting centres next season should be Aitken and Lomax IMO.
Thanks.

I think we have seen the worst of Aitken however, at this stage there is a right centre in Lomax that is leaps and bounds ahead of him - both right centres. So it is either Aitken or Lomax.

It could have been a choice between Herbert and Lafai but seeing that Herbert got no time in first grade to show how good he is and now that he has left the club, the only player to replace Lafai would be Mann and we don't really know if he is leaving or not. If Mann was staying, I'd put him ahead of Lafai.

Millward has let go the only good winger we had last year - Macdonald. Now we have to rely on the two new youngsters to really step up this off-season in order to have a good players on our flanks. Again if Mann stays, we could always leave Lafai at centre with Pereira and Mann as our wingers - not the biggest wingers in the game. A expect after the off-season, during the trials we should have a better idea.

Crush

Coach
I think we have seen the worst of Aitken however, at this stage there is a right centre in Lomax that is leaps and bounds ahead of him - both right centres. So it is either Aitken or Lomax.

It could have been a choice between Herbert and Lafai but seeing that Herbert got no time in first grade to show how good he is and now that he has left the club, the only player to replace Lafai would be Mann and we don't really know if he is leaving or not. If Mann was staying, I'd put him ahead of Lafai.

Millward has let go the only good winger we had last year - Macdonald. Now we have to rely on the two new youngsters to really step up this off-season in order to have a good players on our flanks. Again if Mann stays, we could always leave Lafai at centre with Pereira and Mann as our wingers - not the biggest wingers in the game. A expect after the off-season, during the trials we should have a better idea.
I'm excited about Lomax too mate but I cannot say that Lomax is "leaps and bounds ahead" of Aitken based on 4 NRL games. Although most of the forum "experts" will agree with you on that point I'm sure.

Frank Facer

First Grade
1. Dufty
2. Pearson
3. Aitken
4. Lomax
5. Mann
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Sims
12. Friz
13. JDB
14. Robson
15. K. Sims
16. Leilua
17. Lawrie
My team with the current roster that we now have would be

1 Dufty
2 Periera
3 Lomax
4 Lafai
5 Pearson/Fijian winger
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
13 DeBelin
12 T Sims
11 Frizell
10 Graham
9 McInnes
8 Vaughan

14 Lucky
15 Lawrie
16 K Sims
17 Aitken/Host/Latimore

I don't expect Mann to be here next year. I only picked Lafai, because we don't have anyone better right now.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
[QUOTE="Crush, post: 13237753, member: 47198".
LAFAI
GAMES 26

AITKEN
Thanks.[/QUOTE]
i wouldnt say destroyed him,Tries and Tries assist are basically the same when combined, tackle breaks will give to Aitken agree he is probably better at that , tackle efficiency the difference is probably 1 tackle, average meters would expect that as Aitken is a much more powerful runner and i would say he would have better Post Contact Meters as well, would be interesting to see how many try's came from the mis-tackles or misread in defence, anyway both are crap, but Lafai has more potential to at least create a try and Aitken to allow a try , positions 1-5 are our weakness...

possm

Coach
[QUOTE="Crush, post: 13237753, member: 47198".
LAFAI
GAMES 26

AITKEN
Thanks.
i wouldnt say destroyed him,Tries and Tries assist are basically the same when combined, tackle breaks will give to Aitken agree he is probably better at that , tackle efficiency the difference is probably 1 tackle, average meters would expect that as Aitken is a much more powerful runner and i would say he would have better Post Contact Meters as well, would be interesting to see how many try's came from the mis-tackles or misread in defence, anyway both are crap, but Lafai has more potential to at least create a try and Aitken to allow a try , positions 1-5 are our weakness...[/QUOTE]

If a good backup left centre was/is available at SGI, I doubt Lafai would also be on the chopping block. I would go as far as saying that if Lafai was injured for the number of game Aitken was injured in 2018, and if Herbert replaced Lafai, I think it unlikely that Herbert would have left the Club and I feel confident that Herbert would be the preferred left centre for 2019.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
i wouldnt say destroyed him,Tries and Tries assist are basically the same when combined, tackle breaks will give to Aitken agree he is probably better at that , tackle efficiency the difference is probably 1 tackle, average meters would expect that as Aitken is a much more powerful runner and i would say he would have better Post Contact Meters as well, would be interesting to see how many try's came from the mis-tackles or misread in defence, anyway both are crap, but Lafai has more potential to at least create a try and Aitken to allow a try , positions 1-5 are our weakness...

If a good backup left centre was/is available at SGI, I doubt Lafai would also be on the chopping block. I would go as far as saying that if Lafai was injured for the number of game Aitken was injured in 2018, and if Herbert replaced Lafai, I think it unlikely that Herbert would have left the Club and I feel confident that Herbert would be the preferred left centre for 2019.[/QUOTE]
Agree re Herbert how he wasnt given a chance to play 1st grade is a joke..

Dragonslayer

First Grade
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/24...k-as-clubs-wait-for-the-first-domino-to-fall/

Very interesting article:

Clubs have to register contracts for the top 24 players prior to Nov 1st.

Players such as: Cameron Smith, John Sutton, Jarryd Hayne, Corey Oates, Tavita Pangai jnr, Matt Lodge and James Segayaro all face the prospect of not having a contract registered before their current clubs return to training and there are many other players in the same position.
All of these players are off contract. It is my understanding those with existing contracts don't fall under this requirement.

Abolishing the 2nd tier contract is another interesting point, no more "banking" the extra paid by the transferring club. This may explain why there hasn't been any official announcement of contracted players such as Mann or Norman for example. Maybe clubs are now reconsidering this.

We currently have 26 registered contracted NRL players (inc: Kurt Mann).
We have 4 in the DS, including 2 very young backs (not ready), a utility who goes ok and an edge forward who also goes ok but both need development time. Whether one or more or none could be promoted to the NRL squad is an interesting option (if only to fill the 30 spaces).

If Mann stays, we really need another prop. The talk of us chasing one of the above out of contract players with Hayne being the most likely from those listed.

Going to be a fascinating week ahead.