What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shalom O'ofou young gun on the rise

Trifili13

Juniors
Don't know what the average age would be for a player and specifically a forward to debut in first grade but he will be 22 next year as per other posts but yet to play first grade. While there are mitigating circumstances with a lack of 2nd tier footy to get used to playing in open grade and our dodgy pathways, but I would think if you haven't played first grade by 21 or 22, chances are you will not make it as a regular top line player, bar the odd late bloomer, players that are happy to play lower tier or one's that were simply not picked up earlier. Hopefully the guy makes it.

Don't know what the average age would be for a player and specifically a forward to debut in first grade but he will be 22 next year as per other posts but yet to play first grade. While there are mitigating circumstances with a lack of 2nd tier footy to get used to playing in open grade and our dodgy pathways, but I would think if you haven't played first grade by 21 or 22, chances are you will not make it as a regular top line player, bar the odd late bloomer, players that are happy to play lower tier or one's that were simply not picked up earlier. Hopefully the guy makes it.
See below for why he hasn’t debuted yet. Add to this he missed a year through injury.

… there are mitigating circumstances with a lack of 2nd tier footy to get used to playing in open grade and our dodgy pathways

saintly1996

Juniors
Yes, he will start the year in reserve grade.
He will be 22 next season, he missed a year with a injury.
He has great line speed in attack and defensive. Always lifts the game when on.
Red V Podcast interview him a few weeks back.
Is he a middle and what sort of dimensions is he George

George Dragon

Juniors
Here's the perfect example of the media and the Mole knowing f**k all and just running with bullshit.
Shalom was re-signed 2 weeks ago
He is 21 not 20 and has been at the club since 2016, playing Matts and SG for Steelers.
He is from Melbourne but was not in the Storm system.
He got his name right.
@saintly1996 181cm 97kg
Screenshot_20211005-112524_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors
Here's the perfect example of the media and the Mole knowing f**k all and just running with bullshit.
Shalom was re-signed 2 weeks ago
He is 21 not 20 and has been at the club since 2016, playing Matts and SG for Steelers.
He is from Melbourne but was not in the Storm system.
He got his name right.
@saintly1996 181cm 97kg
View attachment 54757
Lol the mole

possm

Coach
Well, we do need a young gun second-row forward in our ranks. I hope he turns out to be a great first-grade player for the Dragons.

denis preston

First Grade
Sorry trif IMO way off. Lack of reserve grade for the past two seasons is more than a mitigating reason , it is the whole reason. How do you improve & develop by not playing ? In the few games we played last season the CC team was filled with under age forwards for experience , so some games really got away from them , this guy was one of them. Our club really needs Reserve grade for pathways to work fully and am looking forward to next season as. due to our added depth, will at least have these young forwards like Coric, Shalom etc playing with experienced NRL teammates. Still don't know if the coach of that team will be there next season but his resume doesn't impress me but will stand corrected if others know.

Trifili13

Juniors
Sorry trif IMO way off. Lack of reserve grade for the past two seasons is more than a mitigating reason , it is the whole reason. How do you improve & develop by not playing ? In the few games we played last season the CC team was filled with under age forwards for experience , so some games really got away from them , this guy was one of them. Our club really needs Reserve grade for pathways to work fully and am looking forward to next season as. due to our added depth, will at least have these young forwards like Coric, Shalom etc playing with experienced NRL teammates. Still don't know if the coach of that team will be there next season but his resume doesn't impress me but will stand corrected if others know.
Agree with you about needing to play reserve grade or 2nd tier to get used to the grind as opposed to just playing against your own age group. That's why I also said in my post there are mtigating circumstances with a lack of 2nd tier football. I think George Dragon also previously pointed out the player has also been hampered by injuries which is another mitigating circumstance for not having developed or played 1st grade.

Let's just hope the young guys us supporters are hanging our hats on to drive us forward turn out to be as good as we hope or think they are. Sloan, Amone and Sullivan have shown alot of promise in the little game time that they have had. If we can also get 2 or 3 young forwards to also come through, that's half a team and you can build from there, especially as they are all roughly the same age and with many years in front of them.

It's what the Panthers have been able to do and they have a team for the next 5 to 10 years, baring injuries and the salary cap squeezing them out. Having success also drives other good players to want to come to your club. They can pick and choose which players they want to buy to supplement any gaps from their own nursery and not play moneyball, pay overs or be a retirement village like some of the bottom teams.

epDragon62

First Grade
Agree with you about needing to play reserve grade or 2nd tier to get used to the grind as opposed to just playing against your own age group. That's why I also said in my post there are mtigating circumstances with a lack of 2nd tier football. I think George Dragon also previously pointed out the player has also been hampered by injuries which is another mitigating circumstance for not having developed or played 1st grade.

Let's just hope the young guys us supporters are hanging our hats on to drive us forward turn out to be as good as we hope or think they are. Sloan, Amone and Sullivan have shown alot of promise in the little game time that they have had. If we can also get 2 or 3 young forwards to also come through, that's half a team and you can build from there, especially as they are all roughly the same age and with many years in front of them.

It's what the Panthers have been able to do and they have a team for the next 5 to 10 years, baring injuries and the salary cap squeezing them out. Having success also drives other good players to want to come to your club. They can pick and choose which players they want to buy to supplement any gaps from their own nursery and not play moneyball, pay overs or be a retirement village like some of the bottom teams.
The old adage "success breeds success" is so true and will apply to those within the club as well as others who may see us as an option. The key is getting the ball rolling...

Latest posts