What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

shane elford

HUDDERSFIELDUK

Juniors
as a huddersfield fan could you give me some info on this player as i dont know much about him other than he is a 27 yo centre.
Is he any good?

thanks

Dazzat

First Grade
Shane Elford played for Penrith for several years and then two or so with the West Tigers. He's tall and plays at just under 100 kgs. He's a technically good winger/centre, good pace and fairly good footwork.

Defensively he's pretty sound, although good centres such as Gasnier have been known to give him a hard day at the office. You'd say he is steady tryscorer, and puts in more good games than poor.

innsaneink

Referee
He has his ups & downs, put it that way.
Is a multi taskee too, tried to tackle a bloke with his leg once.

D

Deleted member 10972

Solid centre/winger, probably big enough to play lock in the ESL. Was a great defender in 2005 finals series, solid but nothing special.

tiger_nick

Bench
Played probably a dozen good games for us in 3 seasons. Fortunetly they were the last dozen we played in 2005.

Average player, pulls out the odd good play, but is nothing brilliant, but still an honest tryer. Jamaal Lolesi will be a better center.

gallagher

Juniors
Eddie. said:
Served the Tigers well

Played well when it counted.

When doesnt it 'count'? For 2 and 1/2 years it didnt count?
Luckiest player ever to have a premiership ring.

innsaneink

Referee
gallagher said:
When doesnt it 'count'? For 2 and 1/2 years it didnt count?
Luckiest player ever to have a premiership ring.

:lol:
I think the shockers dont count....the few good ones did.

Eddie.

Bench
Elford snuffed out Berrigan and Gasnier in those Sudden Death Semis in 2005.

Sign of a good player. Rose to the occasion.

Luckiest player my ass. Only have to look a little further across the field and you would find one.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Eddie. said:

Luckiest player my ass. Only have to look a little further across the field and you would find one.

And how did he go against Gasnier in 06? 2 direct tries to Gasnier at least due to his misses

He is a decent pickup. In the NRL he wasn't a good player, he was average, consistancy was his biggest problem. In 05 he did perform well especially towards the end but at the start and in 04 and 06 he was ordinary at best.

Gus22

Juniors
Overall he was better than average.

In 04 he was very good. Defended well & set Moodie up for a lot of tries with speedy ball movement.

In 05 he was very, very, good. Kept Dean Collis out of the side & played a pivital role in winning a Premiership. His defence at times was nothing short of outstanding.

In 06 he was below par. Turned in some shockers amongst some fair to good performances.

In 07 who knows really? Take a line through the 04-05 form & he'll star in England. On last years form he'll be of average ESL first grade standard.
I'm tipping he'll be better than that.

Gus22 said:

In 04 he was very good. Defended well & set Moodie up for a lot of tries with speedy ball movement.

In 05 he was very, very, good. Kept Dean Collis out of the side & played a pivital role in winning a Premiership. His defence at times was nothing short of outstanding.

In 06 he was below par. Turned in some shockers amongst some fair to good performances.

In 07 who knows really? Take a line through the 04-05 form & he'll star in England. On last years form he'll be of average ESL first grade standard.

yes but remeber in 04-05 he played centre and this year he was a winger

tiger_nick

Bench
Eddie. said:

Richards marked gasnier for the first half of that game. I'll never forget him throwing gas into row 7 of the stands when he tried to get round him :lol:

tiger_nick

Bench
Gus22 said:

I don’t know how you can say he was good in 04. My biggest memory of him was taking intetercepts, running 50 meters in the clear, then being run down (usually by a forward) and dropping the ball. I never saw a center drop as many balls in a season as Elf did in 04.

In 2005 Collis was going to start to the year in the centers but was injured. Elford put in some solid performaces before being injured when Halatau/Collis took over. Then Collis was injured just before the finals and Elford took his spot. He performed well in finals, no questions asked.

In 2006 he finished off some good tries playing on the wing however at center was absolutely terrible in every single game.

Gus22

Juniors
tiger_nick said:
I don’t know how you can say he was good in 04. My biggest memory of him was taking intetercepts, running 50 meters in the clear, then being run down (usually by a forward) and dropping the ball. I never saw a center drop as many balls in a season as Elf did in 04.

In 2005 Collis was going to start to the year in the centers but was injured. Elford put in some solid performaces before being injured when Halatau/Collis took over. Then Collis was injured just before the finals and Elford took his spot. He performed well in finals, no questions asked.

In 2006 he finished off some good tries playing on the wing however at center was absolutely terrible in every single game.
Feel free to exagerate or make things up Nick!

In 04 Elford was run down by Ryan Cross after an intercept against Easts. He was hardly 50m in the clear & Cross is hardly a plodding foward. On top of that Wests were pinned on their line for some time & scrambling to hold Easts out. Fatigue was the cause for Elford not being able to pick up his legs after about 60m.

I don't recall him being run down at any other stage in 04 after intercepting. I do remember him intercepting a Bulldogs pass at Gosford & running away to score the match winner.

Sheens saw fit to pick Elford ahead of Collis at every opportunity in 04 & 05. In his mind Elford was a better option at that stage of their careers, & I would agree. Collis is clearly the better player now however.

Elford was good in 04. I don't know how you can honestly & unbiasly say he wasn't.

Latest posts