What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Richardson quits

betcats

Referee
Think this deserves a thread. This is suspect imo, the guy comes from souths(after helping them cover up the Arizona arrests) takes his job at the NRL and does f**k all for year except some shit platinum league garbage and help souths get Burgess back and now is going back to souths. I am losing faith the the NRL/ARLC will ever get its shit together.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...l/news-story/5c9136b5935210dfb95cce1daa8a1444

SHANE Richardson has quit his post as the NRL’s head of game strategy after just nine months in the role to return to the Rabbitohs as the club undergoes a front office shake-up.
Richardson will rejoin Souths as the club’s general manager in a position that is understood to give him significant say over head coach Michael Maguire.
Rabbitohs Chief Executive John Lee will remain in his current position, with Richardson’s new appointment believed be similar to that of Phil Gould’s at Penrith, bringing the club’s recruitment, retention and footballing operations under Richardson’s watch.
This time last year Richardson left the then-reigning premiers for a much hyped role at League Central after 11 seasons as the Rabbitohs’ CEO.
He returns to Redfern with Souths having endured 12 months of off-field controversy which has led to speculation of player unrest and cast doubt over Maguire’s future at the club.
The most recent headlines came just this week after owner Russell Crowe gave a stinging critique of the side at a pre-season camp, prompting five-eighth Luke Keary to walk out of the bonding session at 3am.
Given Richardson’s particularly strong relationship with Greg Inglis, going back to the star full-back’s arrival at Souths in 2011, his return could well prove crucial to the club’s retention of their skipper, who has been linked repeatedly to the Broncos for the past six months despite having two seasons to run on his current contract, Lee welcomed Richardson’s homecoming in a statement on the club’s website.
“Shane is arguably the most experienced football brain in the country,” Lee said.
“He has a wonderful understanding of the football side of the business and a deep appreciation of what our club stands for, having been part of the organisation for over a decade.”
Richardson’s time at the NRL saw the delivery of a blueprint for the game’s future which has received a lukewarm response from the game’s clubs, with the introduction of a Platinum League to replace the NSW Cup and under 20s with a state-based junior competition drawing mixed reviews.
The strategy plan Richardson has been working on since last March has since been endorsed by the ARL Commission and the NRL has indicated the blueprint’s pathways will be implemented.
Over the next two months Souths and the NRL will work on a transition plan around Richardson’s move, where he will take up a new role as general manager of the Rabbitohs footballing operations.
ARLC Chairman John Grant lauded Richardson’s contribution to the game’s head office over the past year.
“He has completed the strategy and has been offered a long term role at Souths so this is the logical time to make the change,” Grant said.
“His experience at the NRL has given him a unique insight into the game that he did not have before and he leaves on the best of terms.”
Richardson said he returns to club land with every confidence that the recommendations of his blueprint, handed down in December, will be implemented by the governing body.
“I really enjoyed the experience of working at NRL headquarters but this new role — and its direct involvement with the players and the game — is what I want to do next in life,” he said.
“I am looking forward to moving from a strategic role back to the coal face.”
Richardson’s departure follows hot on the heels of news the NRL’s currently vacant CEO position could take until August to be filled as shortlists are finalised in the search for Dave Smith’s successor.
A number of external candidates, as well as contenders from within the game including current head of football Todd Greenberg, Bulldogs chief Raelene Castle, former NRL head of integrity Jim Doyle and Broncos CEO Paul White, are believed to have been short-listed for the CEO’s role, with interviews to take place over February.
Should the NRL’s new head honcho be picked from the corporate world, it could take six months for the role to be taken up given a potential six months notice would need to be given to a current employer.

betcats

Referee
Seems like Richo has taken advantage of some weak leadership in Smith and Grant. They guy who designed the future blueprint for our games development and growth has gone straight from that back to his old club...I wonder if there might be any conflict of interest there? :crazy:

What is next from these clowns? They going to hire Brian Waldron and Craig Bellamy to review the salary cap? With Cam as their auditor?

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
The NRL is a billion dollar business run by slimy, incompetent morons.

Greenberg and Richardson have been at best a complete disaster. At worst their conduct in regards to their previous clubs raises a lot of uncomfortable questions, which have and no doubt will continue to be swept under the rug.

Smith was allowed to be pushed out by a sooking media company who apparently no longer has any say in the game's running.

Greenberg has to go and it's about time Grant f**ked off too, since he's presided over this entire mess. The richest period in Rugby League history is being wasted by idiots.

betcats

Referee
Is it because of his bullshit, ill-considered "Platinum League"?

I hope they just write Richos salary off as a loss and chuck that shit in the bin. Imagine how clubs would react if they put Phil Gould or Wayne Bennet or Politis in that position and told them to draw up that plan, but hey we can take an administrator from the darlings of league, he wont do anything dodgy. Greenberg and Richo should of both been punted as soon as their respective cover ups came to light, weak leadership from the nrl, they would rather save face then do the right f**king thing and admit any fault or error. If two of the key NRL management positions weren't already empty I would be saying Grant needs to go ASAP because the ARLC has been a disaster.

Last edited:

Edwahu

Bench
He probably jumped before he was pushed. I can't imagine things looked good at the NRL after the clubs rejected his major piece of work.

adamkungl

Immortal
It was already low but after Richo's short and pointless tenure I have absolutely zero confidence in the NRL's ability to run the game.

Lol

And thank f**k.

But there will be some other useless waste of space given his non-job.

I wonder what the spin will be from the circle about another one of their incompetant pin up boys quitting after doing absolutely f**k all. This new administration is a joke and finally a few people seem to be slowly waking up to that fact.

beave

Coach
So at the end of his stint, what the f$&@ did the chubby clown actually achieve other than pissing off the sydney clubs with his insane 'platinum league' malarky??

Greenbergs conduct at Canterbury in regards to a player that moved on (no names mentioned here) show me he is not CEO material either.

The hierachy is a mess atm, other than the $$$ we have at the moment, I don't think Grant is doing a good job at all. The next tv deal was prematurely signed and agreed to, for f**ks sake, we aren't even getting what we were originally promised in the current deal and then we bent over backwards and allowed them to get even more on the current tv deal without any apparent $$$ compensation for the game

I hope they just write Richos salary off as a loss and chuck that shit in the bin. Imagine how clubs would react if they put Phil Gould or Wayne Bennet or Politis in that position and told them to draw up that plan, but hey we can take an administrator from the darlings of league, he wont do anything dodgy. Greenberg and Richo should of both been punted as soon as their respective cover ups came to light, weak leadership from the nrl, they would rather save face then do the right f**king thing and admit any fault or error. If two of the key NRL management positions weren't already empty I would be saying Grant needs to go ASAP because the ARLC has been a disaster.

:lol:
Platinum League has to be the worst idea that's ever come out of NRL HQ.

HayneKloppter

Juniors
i've got to say i'm envious of souffs that we couldn't pick him up. he returns to the bunnies no doubt now with far more intellectual property which ANY club gm... including gould would never have picked up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The flip possibility is he came into the job with grand aspirations to really grow RL but found himself white anted and his report compromised to appease TV and clubs that he realised the NRL is going nowhere fast and better to jump ship whilst he can?

If you look at his statements when he got the job he was either full of hot air or totally unable to bring about expansion and growth as he would have liked:

The key points Richo made in the Slothfield interview:

1. Player burnout fits in that because obviously you’ve got to reduce the amount of games they play. It’s not about quantity, its quality.
2. Certainly we can reduce it to 22 games or even 20. Then look at State of Origin and stand-alone weekends
3. We’ve got to expand. I’m not so concerned about the number of teams, it’s the number of fixtures. The bigger the expansion the better it is for the TV networks
4. I’m a fan of having all the Sydney clubs but they’ve got to be financial and stand on their own two feet.
5. Sam Burgess didn’t leave us for the money. At the end of the day he left because he wanted the challenge of playing in a World Cup. Internationally, rugby league can get to that level.
6. I want to look at their drafts, I’ve already looked at the AFL model. I’m a great believer in the draft, especially with expansion.

Out of those 6 key points not on of them has come out as being in the report. Suggests something has badly gone wrong in his ability to influence where he could see the game needed to go.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL is a billion dollar business run by slimy, incompetent morons.

Greenberg has to go and it's about time Grant f**ked off too, since he's presided over this entire mess. The richest period in Rugby League history is being wasted by idiots.

It's reminding me of the WA situation and the morons who have wasted the resources boom windfall and now we find ourselves in economic strife with little to show for the billions spent.

Diesel

Referee
The TV deal was signed before the report was released. There should be 22 rounds, no more

Sounds like Grant & co didn't give a stuff about this report

HayneKloppter

Juniors
The flip possibility is he came into the job with grand aspirations to really grow RL but found himself white anted and his report compromised to appease TV and clubs that he realised the NRL is going nowhere fast and better to jump ship whilst he can?

If you look at his statements when he got the job he was either full of hot air or totally unable to bring about expansion and growth as he would have liked:

The key points Richo made in the Slothfield interview:

1. Player burnout fits in that because obviously you?ve got to reduce the amount of games they play. It?s not about quantity, its quality.
2. Certainly we can reduce it to 22 games or even 20. Then look at State of Origin and stand-alone weekends
3. We?ve got to expand. I?m not so concerned about the number of teams, it?s the number of fixtures. The bigger the expansion the better it is for the TV networks
4. I?m a fan of having all the Sydney clubs but they?ve got to be financial and stand on their own two feet.
5. Sam Burgess didn?t leave us for the money. At the end of the day he left because he wanted the challenge of playing in a World Cup. Internationally, rugby league can get to that level.
6. I want to look at their drafts, I?ve already looked at the AFL model. I?m a great believer in the draft, especially with expansion.

Out of those 6 key points not on of them has come out as being in the report. Suggests something has badly gone wrong in his ability to influence where he could see the game needed to go.

his role was always going to be a project based one, so the headlines and furore at the moment are very over the top.

one of the key drivers of the platinum league was ensuring that the burden of junior development wasn't all beared by traditional nurseries whilst clubs like the chooks and manly etc benefit from cherry picking with the same grants. the long term view was obviously a draft.

he's delivered a report virtually to the mandate given to him, and of course with any proposed change, someone loses out and is going to have a stink.

he's done his job and done his job well imo.

Latest posts