What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Watson

Biglance

Bench
Watson = the forgotten man because he plays in tassie and thats a serious comment not a sarcastic one

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I actually thought Watson was playing really well for Australia, before he got injured before the World Cup. Its a shame he didnt go, but hopefully he'll be back in the Aussie team. The selectors shouldnt forget this bloke, this kid has a good future just like Michael Clarke.

wittyz chick

Coach
good to see him rewarded with being Clarke's deputy, this guy is good just dont know if he'll ever be at his best after stress fractures I'll never forget that over he bowled against England the one were he won Australia the match. If he just gets better and better he'll be a great player...and I believe Lehmans starts training again in January so Clarke might have to fight for his spot...but it will be sure Clarke and Watson will one day be in the Australian squad PERMANENTLY

Anonymous

Juniors
Watson was already a permanant player in the 11 before he got injured.

He scored 156 against NSW yesterday so he is obviosly in touch with the bat.

cheese

Bench
I passed him in the street the other day. I was pretty f**king surprised by how big he's lookin these days, he was cut to shreds. Looks like he's had a big off season in the gym, i wouldnt pick him for sh1te. No wonder he's batting so well

Doctor

Bench
I actually think he may be a surprise Test bolter once his bowling is under-way. Not this year, but perhaps as 2004-05 rolls around Watson may well emerge as the next allrounder in Test cricket for Australia.

His batting is quite good, better than most wicket-keepers but probably not on par with the other 6 batsmen - but his bowling compliments his batting quite nicely. Once his back is fit and he gets a full season of first class cricket behind him, don't be surprised to see his name come back into the discussions about playing a 5th bowler in Tests. Three regular quicks plus a spinner and the inclusion of Watson as a genuine allrounder who could easily bowl 15-20 overs of fast-medium - plus he would bat quite well.

His batting of late has been exceptional - I rate the fellow if only for his batting. Still young and with the injuries being sorted out he will emerge again along with Clarke, White and co as the new faces of Australian cricket.

Anonymous

Juniors
He is definatly being developed as the next test all-rounder, thats for sure.

He has been given the oppurtunity to really develop his batting of late and i must say, he is really doing wonders.

John_Travolta

Juniors
I`m a New South Welshmen by birth, and now living in Tassie, I have seen him bat and bowl in Launceston and in Hobart, he has a tallented cricketing ability, BUT......His bowling hasn`t been tested becuase of his injured shoulder/side the last year. I don`t think he`s good enough however to play for Australia again.

Troy

Anonymous

Juniors
I have to say I never rated him as an ODI player. Maybe a test player (due to his style of play, and the statistics don't lie!) but the Aussie selectors seem desperate not to pick a genuine all-rounder (i.e. not Hogg or Katich etc.) so I think hos career will never reach the potential it could have.

Dingle

Juniors
Watson is an awesome cricketer. He is a great all rounder but his injury has prevented him from bowling. This is probably the sole reason the selectors have knocked him back. They have done what i believe is right and have gne with an equally talented fully fit youngster in Michael Clarke.
I truly think Michael Clarke is the next big thing in Aussie Cricket and should definately get his spot over darren Lehman

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
And QLD let him go :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good call Stuey Law.

The future's so bright I got to wear shades.

John_Travolta

Juniors
Stuart LAW HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I liked him hahahaha but shiiiiittttt lol NO! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: funny shit.

Doctor

Bench
Dingle said:
I truly think Michael Clarke is the next big thing in Aussie Cricket and should definately get his spot over darren Lehman

This issue of whether Lehmann can come back etc has been well discussed. But every time I hear the suggestion that Lehmann will be kept out of the side, I keep thinking back to his stats this year - he has averaged 75 in the year 2003. Surely that sort of form is worthy of a Test-recall, especially if he can produce a couple of decent innings for S.A.

I'm a big fan of Clarke, but I think we will find he will knock a fellow like Katich or perhaps even Martyn out before keeping Lehmann at bay. For the record, I'm not a huge fan of Lehmann - his batting is boring and looks ugly. But stats are a good indication of success - his calendar year has been quite good.

Doctor

Bench
Well well well - it was indeed Shane's day in Warne's comeback match. But it wasn't Shane Warne's day, it was Shane Watson's.

Thank goodness, Watson is bowling again. Definately a new action being used, his arm goes straight down as his back foot lands - previously he kept his arm up around his waist or shoulder at the beginning of the delivery swing. Watson's new action seems to be very deliberate, very organised. He looks like he strains his body less, flowing through the crease less but more effective in swinging the ball out.

His action aside, his television return to fast bowling has been highly successful - 2/15 from 6 overs. He generated excellent outswing and got the ball to hold its line to the in-form Elliott. The good news and bad news is that 7 of his runs were wides - it means that barring wides he produced economical figures of 2/8 from 6 overs. Watson is looking ominous and as a bit of a fan, I can't help feeling he is on his way back to international ranks - ahead of Harvey hopefully.

There has never been doubt about his batting - 63 from 71 with 7 fours and a six - he smashed his namesake around a bit, but although the media saw this as a bad thing, this was great.

I'd love to see Watson return to the top level - re-commencing his bowling is vital to his ambitions. A player who gets 2/15 at just over 2 runs per over and smashes a half century at near-run-a-ball is well worth a chance at international level.

Stand aside Harvey...... :clap:

Doctor

Bench
It isn't the best example, but it may help to highlight the difference in Watson's action before:

images

And after:
inline

...the injury. The pictures are at different stages of the delivery stride, but the important thing is that his bowling arm (right arm) is lower now. Prior to the injury he had his arm up with his shoulder - now it is much like Glenn McGrath in that it sits in comfortably around his upper leg.

aqua_duck

Coach
Yes, was very impressed with him opening the bowling as well which would have been a challenge for him as he's usually a 1st or 2nd change bowler, he got 2/15 off 6 overs, 7 wides so could've been 2/8 and he also had an LBW appeal turned down which I along with the commentators thought was plum.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Watson could well become a legend over the the month. Vic play Tas twice in Pura Cup, if Watson can perform well ie matching winning performances and do well in the final also, instant legend. The script is there. Couple of centuries, a few 5 for's......