What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shannon Gallant vs Ty Williams

Who should start the season at fullback?

• Ty Williams

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Shannon Gallant

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters

Talanexor

Juniors
I think it may only be a year or two, don't quote me on that though.

Hmm, it's hard because I was thinking that when Bowen returned, we could develop him into the 5/8 role and Gallant could stay at fullback.
But with Thompson looking quite promising it's a bit of a headache!
I would like to see Gallant at least attain a bench spot, perhaps to give Payne an ease and have some fresh legs I do think that would work.
That would mean booting Watts though and I doubt Gallant would want to settle for the bench.

One thing is for sure, all those people that think it's doom and gloom for the Cowboys if Thurston leaves are pretty off the mark.

One thing Gallant has over Bowen is his kick returns. For this reason alone I'd prefer to leave him at fullback and maybe shuffle Bowen to 5/8.

Even if Thurston leaves, we'll still have a kickass spine:

1. Gallant
6. Bowen
7. Thompson
9. Payne

14. Watts

BDR

First Grade
Considering Thompson has played more time in at hooker rather than in the halves, I think they'll give Payne a run at 7 again when Thurston's out (if he's healthy) and slot Thompson in at 9. Hopefully Bowen is healthy by then and he can fill the 5/8th role with Gallant at the back.

elyod138

Bench
Considering Thompson has played more time in at hooker rather than in the halves, I think they'll give Payne a run at 7 again when Thurston's out (if he's healthy) and slot Thompson in at 9. Hopefully Bowen is healthy by then and he can fill the 5/8th role with Gallant at the back.

Hasn't Thompson played most of his footy at halfback?

I'm pretty sure halfback is his preferred position.

Last edited:

StinkyPete

Juniors
Thompson Plays halfback when he's in the U20's. he played hooker for 20mins last year in round 26.

BDR

First Grade
My bad, for some reason i was certain he'd played a lot of junior and reserve footy as a hooker. I'll take your word for it.

macnaz

Staff member
How long is Gallant signed for? I reckon if he is given a good run at a club he could be right up there in terms of top fullbacks in the comp. I saw him play a few games for the Tigers last year and couldn't believe he didn't get a consistent gig there or the fact that you guys picked Ty Williams ahead of him.

He signed for 2 years .

Canard

Immortal
Gee I was impressed by his game on Sat night, in attack, but I love how people go off half cocked about him being an all time great after 1 game!!

My biggest concern is his defence or his lack thereof, run a big guy at him one on one from anywhere from about 20m out and its a try.

beave

Coach
so are you going to say the same for Matt Scott???? because he let Minicheillo go straight through the line for the first try..........

No one was going to stop him on either occasions that led to his try, wether it be Gallant, Bowen, Duggan or Patten....................you can blame the blokes in front of him for f**king up in defence so close to the line, I think you are being pretty harsh on him there mate.

Shorty

Staff member
The same thing can be has probably been said about Matty Bowen, Canard...

elyod138

Bench
The same thing can be has probably been said about Matty Bowen, Canard...

Bowen's defence improved significantly in 2007, he was probably the best defensive fullback that year and he was still good defensively last year (he actually tackled Minichiello 1 on 1 about 5m out from our tryline vs the Titans)

But yeh, I don't think many fullbacks could have made those tackles on Minichiello more than 1 or 2 times out of 10.

Last edited:

Charlie124

First Grade
It was a very feeble attempt to stop him but in reality i dont think he or anyone would have been able to stop that try, i cant really fault Gallant for it because the tackle should have been made before it got to him.

macnaz

Staff member
I dont think Gallant or any fullback for that matter had a hope in hell of stopping mini that close. But in saying that he does have a tendancy to bounce of a tackle and it looks terrible. He has to improve his technique so he can at least hang on and try attack and cover the ball to give him some hope of stopping a try . I am 100% certain its not a courage thing as he has plenty, just has to work on it more. In general his defence is pretty good.

Talanexor

Juniors
I have no doubt his tackling technique will improve dramatically under our coaching staff. When Henry came back to the club for the 2009 season, our defence (team structure as well as individual technique) improved out of sight.

Charlie124

First Grade
I cringe, some of those attempts last night were just plain disgraceful. I understand that he's a fullback and shouldnt be the one doing the tackling but gee wizz he has got a lot of work to do when it comes to his defence.

Talanexor

Juniors
I've got a better idea: let's fix our defence up so Gallant doesn't have to make any one-on-one tackles.

macnaz

Staff member
If Matt Bowen can do it, Gallant can too.

Thats very true, i doubt Bowen would have saved any either but he at least tries to stay on the man and at least have a play at the ball. One thing with Gallant over most fullbacks is his reads and speed gets him there at least ( altho he misses lol a lot) ty would not even have got there to atempt a tackle. Anyway he did make some good tackle in that game , and ones he missed where never going to be made or save the game for you guys, there are far more massive defending issues with the whole team without singling out Gallant.

Latest posts