What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharkland. Development. Stadium and Pizza Guy.

intersting news for the league out of the weekend.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8874014

So the NSW Govt have decided that state funding for grounds such as LO, Jubilee, Brookvale, Remondis, Campbelltown, Penrith will cease.

The League is already pushing for consolidation on this issue. Olympic Park, Allianz as the two major grounds. Parra Stadium as the 3rd if they get that upgrade.

however Panthers are trying to get built a bew one, and Manly got a pledge from their #1 ticketholder that federal money may be on the way.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...stadium-in-western-sydney-20140713-zt66y.html

Leichart and C Town are dead. essentially. So is Kogarah.

and then theres us

We have a stadium in the middle of the development, which we no longer own? is that right? sold it to the pizza shop fella.
theres no use for a ground that wont get State GOVT funding. its not like we will be funding it ourselves to get it fixed. There was a stadium bit in the development which to my knowledge is sharks funded and will be right at the end....

unless things drastically improve money wise you have to rely on federal money or self funded or private investment.(as an example which would never happen here, Emirates provided the majority of funding for the new stadium Arsenal play at. they have been paying it back for years hence inactivity in transfers etc)

do we still own the stadium?

and if so..how many aprtments could you fit on that thing?

In the long run the league would make us move anyway.
you would think

anyway will be interesting. Crowds on thw whole will be effected for certain teams for the worse in the first few years i think.

SFS - hypothetically
Manly
Cronulla
Roosters
St George
Wests

Parra -
Parramatta
Wests

Homebush
Bulldogs
Souths
Wests
Panthers?

anyway. interesting. shame newman aint about to give us some info on the stadium.

Feej

First Grade
If the NRL are serious about moving club games away from local grounds they'll need to make it easy for fans. Things like free busses etc. Otherwise the casual fans (think 16k of the 17k there yesterday) won't bother going.

well, major transport inrastructure needs sorting if they want shire types, dragons and beagles to watch games at Moore Park.

Free busses.
Free Trains. More Trains etc.
cheaper tickets

Card Shark

Immortal
If the NRL are serious about moving club games away from local grounds they'll need to make it easy for fans. Things like free busses etc. Otherwise the casual fans (think 16k of the 17k there yesterday) won't bother going.

I think they would regret the decision. Hard to scrap some suburban grounds & keep others though.

Quigs

Immortal
The Channel Nein NRL combo couldn't give a rats arse about Rugby League Supporters.

It is all about Murdochs Fox and Neins coverage.

Quigs

Immortal
I am starting to get the feeling that I will give the game away before my Sharks do a winning lap.

The more the game "progresses" the less I want to waste my time having anything to do with it.

Dead set if it wasn't for the Sharks I'd be outta here (the NRL) long ago.

If they take the home suburban grounds away from the punters - I think that will do me.

Ads

First Grade
unless things drastically improve money wise you have to rely on federal money or self funded or private investment.(as an example which would never happen here, Emirates provided the majority of funding for the new stadium Arsenal play at. they have been paying it back for years hence inactivity in transfers etc)

Emirates didn't fund the stadium as such. They agreed to a longer term naming rights deal which allowed Arsenal to use that income for repayments. Basically they are what Remondis is to us but on a much larger scale.

The hope for us is the A-League. If they really want a 3rd team in Sydney it will be south of Sydney so theres a chance we could host some or all of the games. That would give us either extra income to put back into the stadium or force the governments hand seeing as it would be used year round.

Emirates didn't fund the stadium as such. They agreed to a longer term naming rights deal which allowed Arsenal to use that income for repayments. Basically they are what Remondis is to us but on a much larger scale.

The hope for us is the A-League. If they really want a 3rd team in Sydney it will be south of Sydney so theres a chance we could host some or all of the games. That would give us either extra income to put back into the stadium or force the governments hand seeing as it would be used year round.

yes. a league would be key

but you would think that Jubilee oval would have the inside running on that.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I am starting to get the feeling that I will give the game away before my Sharks do a winning lap.

The more the game "progresses" the less I want to waste my time having anything to do with it.

If they take the home suburban grounds away from the punters - I think that will do me.

You here this a lot, "if the club moves, im gone"...

But history shows that, for every one person like you, there are 2 or 3 (or more) that will begin to turn up to centralised/easy-access stadiums.

It just comes down to a pragmatic decision; do you give away 1 fan in order to gain 2??

i wouldnt be gone if they moved from the shire to SFS.
if anything i would get a season ticket, as its easier to get to for me than sutherland shire.

it would be sad though.

bluey

Bench

About the same here

Weaponhead

Coach
yes. a league would be key

but you would think that Jubilee oval would have the inside running on that.

A strategic partnership with a new A League side is critical. Ideally the consortium would target Shire and Illawarra making Woolooware a more logical choice than Kogarah. Kogarah may be seen as encroaching too close to Sydney FC.

Shark Park needs to hold at least 25,000 to be sustainable long term. That is going to take massive investment and is hard to justify for 12 Sharks games a year.

fizman

Bench
I believe we can be the Kardinia Park (Geelong) of the NRL. All Melbourne teams other than Geelong play out of MCG and Etihad Stadium. Of course I understand where Geelong is located, but they are still a "Melbourne" club.

We can do this I believe.

Southern Shark

Juniors
Build a 35 000 stadium at Sutherland that Saints, Sharks and that new A league side could use. Just gotta find the land and get Clive Palmer's support. A good balance for the continual funding given to the west.

I believe we can be the Kardinia Park (Geelong) of the NRL. All Melbourne teams other than Geelong play out of MCG and Etihad Stadium. Of course I understand where Geelong is located, but they are still a "Melbourne" club.

We can do this I believe.

geelong is another city. its an hour away.

thats like saying newcastle is a sydney club. IMO

fizman

Bench
I have taken the full day to reflect these comments and you are quite correct. Not really the same.

goodplayer

Juniors

ooh you poor doodeems , give hugs :(

magpies . bears. rabbits, bulldogs, all lost there home grounds :(

amcoglory

Juniors
There is a big difference between us and Melbourne

They have a great public transport system that most people use everyday

Sydney's public transport is a shambles that people use when they have to, for us shire residents we have to get 3 trains to get to anz, a train and then a bus to get to more park and for those nob jockeys on the northern beaches the logistics to get any where in Sydney is a night mare

its like Clover More putting in bike ways as she wants us to be more like Amsterdam
Amsterdam is flat great for bikes Sydney - hills everywhere no good for bikes unless your Cadell Evens and a world champ rider

Latest posts